1 month visa on entry how many times

guiseppe

so its 1 month visa on entry   how many times can i extend for a further month  ?   can i go to immigration  for  extra month  and after that do a visa run to cambodia for the 3rd month       find the evisa awkward for me pesonally        thanks guys in advance

Edited by guiseppe

a 30 day visa exempt entry allows one 30 day extension. 

2 visa exempt entries are allowed per calendar year using land borders, and limitless by air. but each entry is subject to questioning by the IO,

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I posed my dilema in another post but according to this it seems I can get a 30 day extension to my current visa stamp that expires Oct 20, and if I run to Hong Kong  from Nov 7-10, I will get another stamp on arrival that would take me to ~Dec 10.

Do i understand this correctly?

(Likewise I could leave the country just before Oct 20, come back, get stamped then leave again on my HK trip and get another stamp on arrival???

Can i get my in-person extension anytime or do I need to wait until closer to the expiration date of Oct 20?

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

I am new so I can't start a topic yet, my question is related to this topic.

I am on my second 90 day SETV(finally learned that means single entry tourist visa).

Just got the 30 day extension valid until November 23, so I will have been in the country about 176 days this year. I was in Laos for 4 days to get my second tourist visa.

My paperwork for non-B visa and work permit to work as a teacher may not be completed in the time left on my visa.

If it isn't complete will I be able to leave Thailand briefly and return on a visa exempt entry (I have a USA passport)?

I have seen people have written that you can explain your circumstance to the IO (immigration officer), but others have told me not to mention anything about a job when entering on visa exempt.

I don't want to get stuck outside of the country and jeopardize my job offer.

ok, so after all that, the question is

After two consecutive 90 day SETVs will I be able to leave Thailand for a short time (2 or 3) days and return with a visa exempt entry?

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/5/2023 at 6:28 AM, cockneyboy said:

a 30 day visa exempt entry allows one 30 day extension. 

2 visa exempt entries are allowed per calendar year using land borders, and limitless by air. but each entry is subject to questioning by the IO,

I am sorry but the laws have changed. it's no longer unlimited entries by air, but now it's 2 times by air and land and sea.  That has now changed and confusing, especially on the UK Thai Embassy website where they seem to contradict themselves with info on the top and middle.  the link: https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/page/exemp-visa

The Thai Embassy in the US shows the same.

» Visa Procedures for Non-Thai Nationals wishing to Enter Thailand under Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme

I will create a new topic so others will know. Immigration has the right to enforce this at their discretion, but due to these posts, If you want use visa exemption more than 2 times in a calendar year, you may want to get the tourist visa instead from the Thai Embassy. If you decide not to, be prepared to show a return flight, proof of travel funds and proof of accommodation if asked. 

Here are screen shots and links attached for this new rule, which is very unclear and not widely posted on all Thai Embassy websites in the world. Typical of MOFA.

IMG_6578.jpg

IMG_6557.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dilbert1 said:

Now arrived at Suvanabhumi  and it is my 4th Visa exempt entry this year and nothing was said to me by Immigration.

Thats great. Like I said, some will be ok and some won't. Your experience and situation are not the same as others. Thats great news anyways!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TLP said:

Thats great. Like I said, some will be ok and some won't. Your experience and situation are not the same as others. Thats great news anyways!

Right. Provide Examples of Any Westerner getting Denied Entry after two Visa Exempts within that same 12 month period. Never Heard of It.  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

Right. Provide Examples of Any Westerner getting Denied Entry after two Visa Exempts within that same 12 month period. Never Heard of It.  

I have many examples of people who have came on visa exemption 4 times in one calendar year and have been refused entry after that, some even before. Even showing the items I mentioned before, while others were waived through with no issues or even no questions under the same circumstances.  The officers singled them out. Will you just give it a rest already. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/16/2023 at 5:30 PM, TLP said:

I am sorry but the laws have changed. it's no longer unlimited entries by air, but now it's 2 times by air and land and sea.

I've has three air visa exempts and one land visa exempt this calendar year .

No questions asked and no eyebrows raised 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fluke said:
1 hour ago, oldschooler said:

Ok so this is the last time I am going to comment on this. After this, you guys can debate all you want. This is an example of the US embassy in Thailand relaying MOFA's announcement regarding this. Read this and let's be done with it. It is MOFA's official position currently. Why? Because we know. My office is in touch with MOFA all the time as we need to be up to date on all these issues for our members. Secondly, because the US embassy in Thailand still keeps this memo on their website. In light of this, we always recommend if possible to get the appropriate visa if you want to be a long term tourist, and if you need to enter multiple times on visa exemption because you have no choice, we always recommend to enter by land and use an agency, as they make arrangements with land border immigration. If you are entering on visa exemption multiple times in one calendar year, you are more likely to be refused entry by air.  Like I said many times, some will be okay and some won't. Here is the announcement and it is still valid and current today. The point of my original post was there is a lot of confusion and uncertanty on this topic and there are things you can do to minimize your risk of being refused entry if you enter multiple times on visa exemption.  

"U.S. citizens are reminded that Thailand immigration laws require visitors to remain in the proper visa status. U.S. citizen tourists traveling to Thailand are eligible to enter Thailand without a visa and stay for 30 days under the Thai visa exemption policy if they are able to show an onward/return ticket and possess a passport that is valid for at least six months beyond their date of entry into Thailand.

The Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs has informed us that Thai Immigration will enforce existing foreign entry regulations and step up efforts to prevent abuse of the 30-day visa exemption policy for tourism granted to some foreigners, including U.S. citizens. Thai immigration authorities will review carefully travelers who have received permission to stay for 30 days through the visa exemption policy, and who subsequently seek to reenter Thailand repeatedly for an additional 30 days under the same program. If immigration officials perceive that individuals are entering Thailand to reside for an extended time or indefinitely, rather than seeking entry for tourism, such individuals may be denied re-entry. If so, they will be referred to a Royal Thai Embassy outside of Thailand to apply for a regular Thai visa before seeking to enter Thailand again. The U.S. Embassy and Consulate are not able to intervene with Thai Immigration or the airlines regarding their regulations and policies on behalf of a U.S. citizen who is denied re-entry."

Link: https://th.usembassy.gov/thai-immigrations-enforcement-thai-visa-exemption-policy/

This memo is circulated to foreign embassies in Bangkok by MOFA in Thailand and is currently active today. It is in force currently to prevent people from using the visa exemption scheme to stay long term in Thailand, instead of getting a proper visa. End of story. 

Now you asked me to show you someone who was refused entry. I can't show you an example from our member database, as it is confidential. However, we have many examples of refused entry cases whether they had a return ticket or didn't have.  What I can do is provide you this example from a previous Thaiger forum post. it matches the memo I have just educated you on. The OP was very lucky and was given a pass but was interrogated at the airport and was told he would not be allowed in again on visa exemption. Oh no, why is the immigration officer not following the rules of MOFA? Why why? On the contrary, he is. He is following the previously mentioned  memo by me above. Here is the post from the Thaiger.

I know what you are going to say now. He was treated this way because he may not have had a return flight. Not accurate. The officer said he did not believe the OP was a tourist because of his travel history. Bingo. One of the reasons I previously stated for being refused entry on visa exemption. Regardless of how many visa exempt entires you have on your record. This example was for the Op's travel history alone.

Now, If I wanted to, I could get examples of refused entry posts from ASEAN Now  where they were refused entry where you think they should be allowed in, but I can't because ASEAN Now is down, but even if they weren't down, I would not waste my time collecting those examples because I am done with this debate. 

Enough said, now kindly drop it! You have nothing to prove here. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fluke said:

Thats great. You are lucky.

• Like 1

Clear Now. Measures are aimed at people doing multiple visa exempt entries then extensions then doing visa runs to continue an obviously illegal residency process indefinitely. I don’t know any wasters like that.

I gave up my Retirement Visa at Immigration when starting UK working then used Visa Exempt three times within 12 months to enter & leave Thailand in 16 days in each case. So No Extensions. No Visa Runs. Legal.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2023 at 2:35 AM, Fluke said:

Great. You can read here if you want to learn more.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Can someone please tell me if this travel plan sounds legitimate and doesnt break any laws? Thank you in advance! 
   My plan is to enter Nov 5 2024 on a 30 day Visa exempt at BKK. Extend it 30 days on Dec 5 to allow staying until Jan 3, 2025.
Leave the country for 3 or 4 days , fly back to BKK Jan 6, 2025, again enter on a 30 Day visa exempt and then again on Feb 4, apply for 30 day extension to allow staying Until March 5.
   This Totals Two 30 day Visa Exempt entries and Two 30 day extensions for 120 days Total allowed in Thailand. I just left Thailand 3 weeks ago on March 1 , 2024 after a 30 day visa exempt entry Jan 5, 2024 and 30 day extension on Feb 3, 2024.Before that it was 4 years since entering Thailand.  
  Biggest question I think I have is:  are both Visa Exempt entries eligible to extend 30 days? Especially if I am only going to be out of Thailand 3 or 4 days in January 2025. I am retired on a decent pension and just want to spend the winter as a tourist in a warm place. Thanks again in advance!

1 hour ago, JohnnyCanuck said:
Can someone please tell me if this travel plan sounds legitimate and doesnt break any laws? Thank you in advance! 
   My plan is to enter Nov 5 2024 on a 30 day Visa exempt at BKK. Extend it 30 days on Dec 5 to allow staying until Jan 3, 2025.
Leave the country for 3 or 4 days , fly back to BKK Jan 6, 2025, again enter on a 30 Day visa exempt and then again on Feb 4, apply for 30 day extension to allow staying Until March 5.
   This Totals Two 30 day Visa Exempt entries and Two 30 day extensions for 120 days Total allowed in Thailand. I just left Thailand 3 weeks ago on March 1 , 2024 after a 30 day visa exempt entry Jan 5, 2024 and 30 day extension on Feb 3, 2024.Before that it was 4 years since entering Thailand.  
  Biggest question I think I have is:  are both Visa Exempt entries eligible to extend 30 days? Especially if I am only going to be out of Thailand 3 or 4 days in January 2025. I am retired on a decent pension and just want to spend the winter as a tourist in a warm place. Thanks again in advance!

Why risk it . Get a proper visa.

Also the Official website of  Thai  Electronic Visa states (Im just copying and pasting from it)

"Number of Entries 

Multiple
https://www.thaievisa.go.th/static/media/icon-warning-txt.904f61b4.svgIf you are applying for Multiple Entries, you need to prove that you have a genuine reason to visit Thailand on a regular basis . The difference in fee will not be refunded, if the officer grants a Single Entry Visa instead of the Multiple Entries Visa you applied for."

If they only gave me a single entry I would be no further ahead and I am not sure what they mean by I need to prove I need Multiple entries as I just want 2 entries and 2 extensions. So a bit confusing really. Thanks in advance for your advice Ric.

8 hours ago, JohnnyCanuck said:

Why get a Visa if its totally legal and fine to do?

60-day tourist visa, plus 30 day extension, then leave and do an exemption entry for 30 plus 30 day extension.

Getting multiple entry visas has been difficult for some time now.

• Like 1

Mr Stretch I guess if I got the 60 day visa Nov 5 then left when permission to stay  expired Jan 3 and reentered Jan 6 , I wouldn't actually need to get the first extension. I just want to escape 4 months of winter here in Canada and do this as easily and legally as possible, but do you think they would question reentering so quickly? It sounds like it's permitted twice but questions are raised if you do it anymore than twice. Thanks for the suggestion.

@JohnnyCanuck You're going to get one extension or another if you want to spend four months.  Note, that Thai Immigration counts the first day as the day you enter, and they do count those days meticulously.  And take a week and do Vietnam or Indonesia or even Malaysia...but fly back in to get 30 days.  You only get 15 if  you enter by land.  That second visit is easier for Immigration to accept then.

Standard rule is you need to be out of the country for 48 hours, at least that is what they kept telling me when I would leave and re-enter on a visa exemption. Now, I have a proper visa and annual extension and haven't left the country since before the pandemic.

Having lived in Chicago and Boston, I can understand why you would want to escape an even worse winter.

• Like 2

On 3/20/2024 at 10:10 AM, JohnnyCanuck said:

Also the Official website of  Thai  Electronic Visa states (Im just copying and pasting from it)

"Number of Entries 

Multiple
https://www.thaievisa.go.th/static/media/icon-warning-txt.904f61b4.svgIf you are applying for Multiple Entries, you need to prove that you have a genuine reason to visit Thailand on a regular basis . The difference in fee will not be refunded, if the officer grants a Single Entry Visa instead of the Multiple Entries Visa you applied for."

If they only gave me a single entry I would be no further ahead and I am not sure what they mean by I need to prove I need Multiple entries as I just want 2 entries and 2 extensions. So a bit confusing really. Thanks in advance for your advice Ric.

Genuine reason? WTF does that mean?

I guess how genuine might be defined is up to the loose perspective of the IO....and a thousand Baht note accompanying the reentry app. Genuine.

Hmmmm.....from the Thaksin era, the broad convoluted and ever-changing modifications of all visa classes - tourist and resident types - have been protocoled to suss out the riff-raff [sort to speak]. 

Sorry if I am not doing this right but I am new here and this question was primarily for Riclag saying to just get a proper visa , I would happily do that but the rules do not make it easy to know what a proper visa is. 

If I do get a 60 day proper Visa and enter on Nov 1 or 2 and  then extend it on Jan 1 or Dec 31 for 30 days until Jan 29 and then leave for 3 or 4 days on Jan 29 to KL or Cambodia and return 3 or 4 days later on Feb 2 or 3, (all of that appears quite acceptable so far ) do you think there will be a problem getting a Visa exempt for 30 days when I return on Feb 2 or 3 and then will there be an additional  problem when I request a 30 day extension on March 2 or 3 ? It would be just 2 requests for 30 day extensions within one Calander year. I hope that was clear, and thank you in advance for all your answers!