News Forum - How to get a teaching licence Thailand 

Thaiger

1 hour ago, cowslip said:

A profoundly ill-informed answer from someone without education?

Typical of a diving "inds=structor" to thing that a dictionary definiton is and argument - don't even understand what a fact is.

THe truth is you are an INSTRUCTOR, not a teacher - instruction is not teaching instruct =tion is just telling people what knob to turn and when etc... teaching is getting people to think - something tha diving instructors are not well known for.

The common name cowslip may derive from the old English for cow dung,

Enough said I think 

• Cool 1

10 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Enough said I think 

I note you have no argument only an ad hom - It really shows how slow you are that you think I don't know the etymology of my own chosen name

Yours comes from "pinus" - what does that sound like? 

and "sap" - so well chosen you.

Edited by cowslip
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Enough said I think 

Yeah. I was also assumed to be a diving instructor with distinction between instructor and dive master (Different branches of same tree) not known😂

38 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

Definitions are Important as they underpin Argument. I

Yes - unfortunately you need to know how to use them......just quoting dictionaries is not one that's just being a one quote wonder -  - you really want to go down the road of linguistics and semantics?

Ever since Google people think they know how to reference - they don't even know the difference between "search" and "research"

5 minutes ago, cowslip said:

It really shows how slow you are that you think I don't know the etymology of my own chosen name

Yours comes from "pinus" - what does that sound like? 

and "sap" - so well chosen you.

It is certainly true that I know a dick when I see one, or read something from one .

10 minutes ago, cowslip said:

Yes - unfortunately you need to know how to use them......just quoting dictionaries is not one that's just being a one quote wonder -  - you really want to go down the road of linguistics and semantics?

Ever since Google people think they know how to reference - they don't even know the difference between "search" and "research"

You are 8 ft down in that hole now 😂😅

actually criticising the clear fact of recognised definitions, then ignoring my critiquing of how complete they might be …..gave not one but two definitions in my post …… misuse of “ ill- informed”. Long list of errors…….no evidence of any research on your part or even experience ……

48 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

You are 8 ft down in that hole now 😂😅

actually criticising the clear fact of recognised definitions, then ignoring my critiquing of how complete they might be …..gave not one but two definitions in my post …… misuse of “ ill- informed”. Long list of errors…….no evidence of any research on your part or even experience ……

Sorry but you just don't know how to put forward an argument - you've resorted to ad hom and cliche - and I'm not about to educate you.

7 hours ago, cowslip said:

No, that's incorrect. Many teachers especially the younger ones are trying to get experience before setting of on a career.

Their are also a lot of single males who just want to finance staying in the country for a longer or very long time.

I said generally, there are always exceptions.. YMMV

And I think we all know what keeps the single males in Thai. 

8 hours ago, cowslip said:

you even need a school certificate to work at a 7/11.

Their is a culture in Thailand of believing paper (in triplicate) over the reality.

however if you re employing a foreigner to teach you need some evidence of an intellectual ability. Occasionally I used to come across a teacher with a fake degree or no degree and it shows - they aren't the only ones like that but most people without degrees lack the intellectual ability to work out the necessary methodologies for teaching.

Yup

100% agree all that you said

10 hours ago, cowslip said:

Sorry but you just don't know how to put forward an argument - you've resorted to ad hom and cliche - and I'm not about to educate you.

10 hours ago, cowslip said:

You used ad hom first …. I always retaliate in kind & conclusively …. Established already you can’t educate anybody … not well anyway….😅😂 

Equating degree with intellect is correlation not causality….. some of the biggest idiots I’ve come across have degrees ….nothing more than professional exam takers…. couldn’t run a hot dog stand many of them…. Many degrees are bought ….. western hard subject degree like Maths- Business - Banking- Physics - Law - Medicine of course ….then yes the intellect certainly there … but not usually chasing teacher jobs…..😔

I did originally contribute a tentative case ….. but now having too much fun ripping into your weak schoolboy scribblings….red meat to a pit bull I’m afraid …..you’re  now about 10ft down that hole.😩😅

• Like 1

On 7/29/2023 at 3:44 PM, Khunmark said:

By the info you’ve provided I’m assuming your mother is not a native English speaker?

What info led you to believe that?  I was born and raised in the USA.

If you don’t know the basic structures of the language, including grammar and syntax (which is taught at University)  you shouldn’t be teaching the language in an educational setting.

Grammar and syntax is not post-secondary material. Language development starts in grade school and gradually progresses in complexity through high school.  By the time you apply to colleges or universities, you had better have a solid grasp of grammar and syntax because you're going to be writing some pretty complex application essays.  At least in the USA - I'm not sure if this is true in whichever country you come from.

The age at which you mastered English, suggests you acquired it, rather than learnt it.

Learning is the acquisition of knowledge.  It doesn't matter whether you learned it by osmosis or in a structured environment like a classroom. Either way the objective of learning a skill has been met.

The objective is to get kids functionally capable with a language, then they just need exposure at the beginning of their educational lives.  That was my entire point.  I was a native speaker at the age of five - when I entered first grade - not because I was formally taught it, but because I was exposed to it.  If we can get Thai children more exposure to native speakers, they'll learn the language.  That is the biggest hurdle in this country.  Then by the time they're in high school we can feed them all the sentence mapping and technical minutiae of the language.  But I guarantee you that 95% of native English speakers couldn't diagram a sentence if their life depended on it. Does that mean they're unable to communicate in English?  Of course not.

My second point is that there should be professional skills testing to determine if teaching candidates actually have the skills needed to teach.  This will identify a lot of candidates who possess the skills and knowledge to teach, even though they might not have a 4-year degree.  No school should automatically reject Truman Capote, Maya Angelou, Mark Twain, or William Faulkner from a relevant teaching position just because none of them had a college degree.

11 minutes ago, Augratin said:

What info led you to believe that?  I was born and raised in the USA.

Grammar and syntax is not post-secondary material. Language development starts in grade school and gradually progresses in complexity through high school.  By the time you apply to colleges or universities, you had better have a solid grasp of grammar and syntax because you're going to be writing some pretty complex application essays.  At least in the USA - I'm not sure if this is true in whichever country you come from.

Learning is the acquisition of knowledge.  It doesn't matter whether you learned it by osmosis or in a structured environment like a classroom. Either way the objective of learning a skill has been met.

The objective is to get kids functionally capable with a language, then they just need exposure at the beginning of their educational lives.  That was my entire point.  I was a native speaker at the age of five - when I entered first grade - not because I was formally taught it, but because I was exposed to it.  That is the biggest hurdle in this country.  Then by the time they're in high school we can feed them all the sentence mapping and technical minutiae of the language.  But I guarantee you that 95% of native English speakers couldn't diagram a sentence if their life depended on it. Does that mean they're unable to communicate in English?  Of course not.

My second point is that there should be professional skills testing to determine if teaching candidates actually have the skills needed to teach.  This will identify a lot of candidates who possess the skills and knowledge to teach, even though they might not have a 4-year degree.  No school should automatically reject Truman Capote, Maya Angelou, Mark Twain, or William Faulkner from a relevant teaching position just because none of them had a college degree.

If you were born in the U.S and raised in the U.S your mother did not teach you English as you claim. You acquired it from her by virtue of the fact that you spent sufficient time in her presence to do so. If she was absent during that time someone else would have filled the breach regardless of whether they were a good teacher or not. Language is part of the human DNA, it is an inherently human characteristic. 

The capacity to acquire language progressively declines and is absent by the time we reach puberty, At which point in order to become proficient in a language we need to be taught the language. Part of that teaching requires the teacher to impart knowledge of the structure of the language. Native speakers of English are oblivious to these structures unless they study the rules of the language. Knowing these rules are an important component to teaching the language. Particularly in a Secondary school setting, when the students can no longer acquire language.

Using language correctly and understanding why one is using the language correctly are two different things. For a Thai child to acquire English to a proficient level he/she would need  more exposure to it than a school setting can provide. 

To summarise the point I am making; to acquire a language the teaching is of no importance. To learn a language the teaching is important.

THere are a lot of ESL teachers in Thailand who's only formal teaching qualification is an EFL certificate. It is better than nothing but it does mean that many ESL teachers in Thailand don't have a clue about education and how language is acquired. Thy come across one cockamamy theiry ad v\believe that is the be-all and end all of it.

1 hour ago, cowslip said:

THere are a lot of ESL teachers in Thailand who's only formal teaching qualification is an EFL certificate. It is better than nothing but it does mean that many ESL teachers in Thailand don't have a clue about education and how language is acquired. Thy come across one cockamamy theiry ad v\believe that is the be-all and end all of it.

If you pay peanuts you're gonna get a monkey, and 30k a month in some crappy government school ain't gonna attract the best of the West. 

1 hour ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

If you pay peanuts you're gonna get a monkey, and 30k a month in some crappy government school ain't gonna attract the best of the West. 

I said that earlier.

Having said that, a lot of teachers good easily earn a proper salary with benefits etc in places like Korea or even Vietnam but they prefer to stay here.

Edited by cowslip
  • Like 1

On 7/31/2023 at 12:18 AM, oldschooler said:

Equating degree with intellect is correlation not causality….. some of the biggest idiots I’ve come across have degrees

I have to agree with that - I have had to work with quite a few that were in the "how can anyone so smart be so dumb" category. 

• Like 1

On 8/2/2023 at 5:06 PM, HolyCowCm said:

Hi cowslip. I ran M1-M3 indepth in a big private school for English. Suprise.!!!!!!!

It is a sad reflection on the Thai education system that so many of their foreign teachers are so incompetent. ...to the point they feel the an "appeal to authority" is actually a valid argument.

On 8/1/2023 at 3:52 PM, TheDirtyDurian said:

bit of tha cliche, that...but there is certainly a lot of foreign people in teaching in Thailand who wouldn't cut the mustard elsewhere

On 7/31/2023 at 12:18 AM, oldschooler said:

You used ad hom first

The response of a 12 year old?

You're confusing ad home with a response based on evidence that you might not personally like.

Edited by cowslip

16 hours ago, cowslip said:

It is a sad reflection on the Thai education system that so many of their foreign teachers are so incompetent. ...to the point they feel the an "appeal to authority" is actually a valid argument.

Incompetent are people who boast about how competent they are wanting recognition based to appease their ego thinking they are an actual authority on the subject they know little about. I for one think you have shown you are full of yourself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HolyCowCm said:

Incompetent are people who boast about how competent they are wanting recognition based to appease their ego thinking they are an actual authority on the subject they know little about. I for one think you have shown you are full of yourself.

Well you would, wouldn't you?  You seem to take offence at any criticism but don't know how to reply. You make it impossible to have a discussion as it would mean coming down to your level. Look t your answers they are tangential at best and have no real evidence pertinent to the topic which is about how to get a teaching licence.

I spent over 30 years in education and training and I've had to interview those wishing to reach at all levels, especially in Thailand - I'm using personal experience but it is based on hundreds (nay, thousands) of applications from people wanting to teach in Thailand and elsewhere - this is can be seen as a representative sample, not just looking round my office at one institution.

Edited by cowslip

34 minutes ago, cowslip said:

Well you would, wouldn't you?  You seem to take offence at any criticism but don't know how to reply. You make it impossible to have a discussion as it would mean coming down to your level. Look t your answers they are tangential at best and have no real evidence pertinent to the topic which is about how to get a teaching licence.

I spent over 30 years in education and training and I've had to interview those wishing to reach at all levels, especially in Thailand - I'm using personal experience but it is based on hundreds (nay, thousands) of applications from people wanting to teach in Thailand and elsewhere - this is can be seen as a representative sample, not just looking round my office at one institution.

You can flap your computer keyboard lips all you want, but you are the one who resorts to lashing out with others trying to claim the high road which leaves you looking oddly enough  walking around in circles like having one leg longer than the other. So far judging your teaching character as from your writing, you say you are a teacher but you might just be are part of the broken problem for why Thailand cannot progress. Saying you are a teacher and being respected and taken seriously in a classroom are two different things. Sounds like you work at a language school.

• Thanks 1
  • Cool 1

3 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

You can flap your computer keyboard lips all you want, but you are the one who resorts to lashing out with others trying to claim the high road which leaves you looking oddly enough  walking around in circles like having one leg longer than the other. So far judging your teaching character as from your writing, you say you are a teacher but you might just be are part of the broken problem for why Thailand cannot progress. Saying you are a teacher and being respected and taken seriously in a classroom are two different things. Sounds like you work at a language school.

I'm not sure why you are continuing to engage with this guy Cowslip, or however he terms himself. By his very posts, he is showing his profound ignorance of education, training and learning. He's ether a troll, a wind up merchant, or ............,,,,,, (add your own word here)  

• Like 2
  • Cool 1