Traveler's insurance while in Thailand

rollie1962

Sawadee krup!

In a couple of weeks, I will be visiting Thailand from Canada and staying for about a month. Before I leave, I want to make sure that I have adequate traveler's insurance during my stay. Should I apply for traveler's insurance from a Canadian provider or from a Thai provider?

Thanks

The problem with some Thai insurances is that they might not necessarily pay when you want them to.  So better to go with Canada where the legal system is more in your favour

3 hours ago, rollie1962 said:

Sawadee krup!

In a couple of weeks, I will be visiting Thailand from Canada and staying for about a month. Before I leave, I want to make sure that I have adequate traveler's insurance during my stay. Should I apply for traveler's insurance from a Canadian provider or from a Thai provider?

Thanks

Go to BCAA

They have pretty good travelers insurance

Although you'd likely have to pay upfront and submit a claim

Many people use World Nomads insurance 

^ Do you work in Canada?

I have extended health benefits from Manulife through my employer 

And it comes with traveler's insurance 

So if you do, maybe check if you also have it

1 hour ago, MPK said:

The problem with some Thai insurances is that they might not necessarily pay when you want them to.  So better to go with Canada where the legal system is more in your favour

Just a comment on that

It wasn't travel insurance 

But my wife has had 3 different health insurances in Thailand 

BUPA, Aetna and one more and she's never had to pay a dime and she was treated like royalty at the hospitals because she had such insurance 

On 7/9/2023 at 11:41 AM, Marc26 said:

^ Do you work in Canada?

I have extended health benefits from Manulife through my employer 

And it comes with traveler's insurance 

So if you do, maybe check if you also have it

Read the Manulife wording closely. You are referring to group benefits. If the person is not under a Group Plan, he has to buy the travel insurance as an add on. ManuLife is expensive. you can buy 30 and 60 day options depending on the plan. Coverage is capped at a fixed $ amount (e.g. $2 million lifetime). Other plans like Sun Life include a cap of $5 million and 60 days travel . All of the travel coverages have conditions. With SunLife after age 65 you have to return home and wait 21 days between trips for coverage to give the full 60 days again. Some of the plans have more stringent conditions on Pre-existing conditions (e.g. 9 months stability). One thing is certain: Purchasing a general health plan with the travel component is a much better value and often less expensive  then stand alone travel insurance.

All of the plans differentiate  with themselves by the submilimits for coverages that they grant.  Some of the better travel / expat insurance providers are Allianz, AXA, Aetna in addition to names suggested above.

20 minutes ago, Vigo said:

Read the Manulife wording closely. You are referring to group benefits. If the person is not under a Group Plan, he has to buy the travel insurance as an add on. ManuLife is expensive. you can buy 30 and 60 day options depending on the plan. Coverage is capped at a fixed $ amount (e.g. $2 million lifetime). Other plans like Sun Life include a cap of $5 million and 60 days travel . All of the travel coverages have conditions. With SunLife after age 65 you have to return home and wait 21 days between trips for coverage to give the full 60 days again. Some of the plans have more stringent conditions on Pre-existing conditions (e.g. 9 months stability). One thing is certain: Purchasing a general health plan with the travel component is a much better value and often less expensive  then stand alone travel insurance.

All of the plans differentiate  with themselves by the submilimits for coverages that they grant.  Some of the better travel / expat insurance providers are Allianz, AXA, Aetna in addition to names suggested above.

Yes, agree

That is why I pointed out if he has extended coverage in Canada through his employer, they may have travel insurance in his plan

Some people don't realize

• 2 months later...

Can I ask why is it necessary to get some travel insurance? I'm planning to have my first travel around Singapore and after Thailand.