Wednesday Covid Update: Record high of 13,002 new cases

Thaiger

6 hours ago, BIGGLES said:

It is an unfortunate fact, that with this virus, it doubles approximately every ten to 14 days. Thailand is about to be swamped with this COVID-19. 

First World countries have been swamped with it. These countries, arguably,  have much better medical infrastructure available to all, free at the point of delivery and have still struggled. 

Take places such as Bangkok, Hua Hin, Pattaya, Koh Samui,Chang Mai and Phuket out of the equation, and Thailand is a third world country. Even places such as Phuket and Pattaya are borderline slums in many places.

The whole country is governed by self serving individuals who don't give a SH1 T about the majority  of it's population.  As for tourism, you'd have to be mentally deficient to want to go anywhere near the country at the moment even if you're  doubly vaccinated. Grieves me to say it, since I've been coming to Thailand 3 times a year since 1986 and used to live there for a while.

Most stupid to read FIRST WORLD COUNTRIES just say USA or Europe, and call Asia, Asia... it is discriminating, and very old fashion to call it that

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paco said:

Most stupid to read FIRST WORLD COUNTRIES just say USA or Europe, and call Asia, Asia... it is discriminating, and very old fashion to call it that

Who cares! It is what it is! I don't care for "political" niceties! 

4 minutes ago, bushav8r said:

!3,002 isn't that bad when compared with the USA  or UK and they appear to opening willy nilly.

True.  They are all experiencing an upward tick in the number of daily cases.  However the number of ICU vists and deaths has not been correspondingly going up - although it would be lagging behind if it was to do so. Because so many have been fully vaccinated (about 60%) and about 80% have received at least one dose, things will probably not spiral out of control. Time will tell - hopefully it will be a positive outcome, and they do not have to again shut down the country.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, bushav8r said:

!3,002 isn't that bad when compared with the USA  or UK and they appear to opening willy nilly.

And the number of deaths per day recently in the UK is currently far less than Thailands . Perhaps they can afford to open given the very high % of population vaccinated and hence suffer far less symptoms because of it. Perhaps if the general population of Thailand is vaccinated to the same extent we shall then be able to draw comparisons.

7 minutes ago, gummy said:

And the number of deaths per day recently in the UK is currently far less than Thailands . Perhaps they can afford to open given the very high % of population vaccinated and hence suffer far less symptoms because of it. Perhaps if the general population of Thailand is vaccinated to the same extent we shall then be able to draw comparisons.

I assume the high vaccination rate is why they are re-opening too.  I hope it works out well and can be a model for the rest of the world to follow.

• Like 1

Just now, bushav8r said:

I assume the high vaccination rate is why they are re-opening too.  I hope it works out well and can be a model for the rest of the world to follow.

Fingers crossed but there is much concern being shown as to whether it will or won't. Let's hope it does become the positive model

4 minutes ago, Rotweiler said:

I just get a 404 at that url.

The url is working for me.  I hope people who need help can find it there.  

The safest place all along has been Chiang Rai, been watching it. Of course that could also be because they do very limited testing there.

If you're in BKK, just assume that from 1in 5 to 1 in 10 persons has got it (mostly asymptomatic).

Btw, most likely strict lockdown/curfew is coming to BKK soon. It's not like someone rather high up in government doesn't know how to do that ?

Edited by Leo

20 hours ago, Soidog said:

Certainly not Eddie. Thailand should be vaccinating in the order of most vulnerable first, including front line healthcare workers, the elderly 70+ and people with underlying health conditions that make them more vulnerable. This also means that people in power and wealthy people, unless they are in the priority cohort should wait their turn. 

Yes and it should also be regardless of the colour of their passport or skin. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Soidog said:

Certainly not Eddie. Thailand should be vaccinating in the order of most vulnerable first, including front line healthcare workers, the elderly 70+ and people with underlying health conditions that make them more vulnerable. This also means that people in power and wealthy people, unless they are in the priority cohort should wait their turn. 

I agree 99.9% with what you say.........however, I do think that there is a case for Bangkok given it's current situation - I would still prioritise as best I could.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gummy said:

Thailand is traditionally behind in everything. Only thing advanced is time and they have a problem keeping up with it. 

1 minute ago, Kes said:

Thailand is traditionally behind in everything. Only thing advanced is time and they have a problem keeping up with it. 

A while back a report was issued saying that around 10% of the Thai population were suffering from mental issues 9Fact). Now that being the case they are actually more advanced than other nations in having the highest percentage of nutters. 

18 hours ago, Stocky said:

The UK didn't bother with track and trace, it just gave up. Thailand does have a nationwide health volunteer service with about 1.3 million volunteers, they have been doing the legwork. In most cases those traced are not tested just told to quarantine but checked on regularly. If they become sick and end up in hospital then they get tested.

Mass testing is needed when you've lost control of track and trace, that I fear is now the situation in Bangkok and the metropolitan area.

You said, " In most cases those traced are not tested just told to quarantine but checked on regularly...."

That is exactly the point many of us are continually trying to point out, you do not know how many people are infected if you do not test them.

I am a software engineer and when I write software it can not said to be working if it has not been tested by me and then retested by an independent body. 

17 hours ago, Paco said:

And it is also anti democratic for you politically correct idiots to try and tell us what and what not we are allowed to say.

"Paco" sounds like a male name to me, that is a bit sexist as we should all be called You1, You2, You3 etc in order not to be sexist oh and get rid of the words "he", "she" etc as that is discriminaotory.

Oh and do not call a dog a dog as it might feel it wants to be called a cat...................................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

It is not what it is, it is just another country, there is no first, Second or third world some made up shit by some idiots that felt they are better then the rest of the world (USA)

5 hours ago, JamesR said:

And it is also anti democratic for you politically correct idiots to try and tell us what and what not we are allowed to say.

"Paco" sounds like a male name to me, that is a bit sexist as we should all be called You1, You2, You3 etc in order not to be sexist oh and get rid of the words "he", "she" etc as that is discriminaotory.

Oh and do not call a dog a dog as it might feel it wants to be called a cat...................................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Pathetic...you are... please do not tell me, what I am allowed to say ??????

19 hours ago, JamesR said:

That is exactly the point many of us are continually trying to point out, you do not know how many people are infected if you do not test them.

So long as you trace and contain all contacts the actual number is academic and a waste of resources. Save your testing capability for those cases where you can't find and trace a source and need to do mass testing.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 6:31 AM, gummy said:

And the number of deaths per day recently in the UK is currently far less than Thailands . 

22 July: UK 84  vs  Thailand 87

21 July: 73  vs 108

20 July: 96 vs 80

11 hours ago, Stocky said:

So long as you trace and contain all contacts the actual number is academic and a waste of resources. Save your testing capability for those cases where you can't find and trace a source and need to do mass testing.

Exactly, but you're wasting your time trying to explain that here.

If you only test those who want to be tested and don't test those who don't want to be, who happen to be also the most likely to test positive, you still have no idea how many are infected!