Phuket Sandbox looking ahead to Russian, UK travellers

Thaiger

16 minutes ago, DFPhuket said:

When I arrived on July 3, I completed a form with details about myself and my flight. On the form was a place to self report my seat number. With so many people changing seats after boarding, my assumption is they use that to determine who is near a positive person.

I was flying business class and on Qatar the seats are quite spread out (it was a 787 not with Q suites). I wonder what is considered as a nearby person in that case? 

An alternate explanation is, "Business class? Loadsamoney. Sod the risk. Let him in".

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, thai3 said:

Thailand will go from amber to red in the UK soon meaning quarantine hotels at about 1700 quid over 14 days on a return- few will suffer that for a couple of weeks in Phuket.

I believe the UK have been promising unrestricted to the fully vaxxed. I might be wrong. The problem was that I heard it while Bojo's lips were moving.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, BookShe said:

You don't wanna stay in one of those. They were more like army barracks. As far as I know, they also cancelled free asqs for Thais, as it was abused by frequent Thai travellers.

Correct, the free  ASQ for Thai returnees has ended.

9 minutes ago, PhayakPeter said:

I know that but still can't see the Thais stumping up for asq, more likely they would be allowed to isolate in the hotel they booked 

Very unlikely, particularly as some of the Thai returnees were mixed (Thai / farang) families and these hotels aren't approved for ASQ.

What seems to be overlooked here as it was glossed over (maybe it didn't fit in with the outrage bus) is that the quarantined German said when interviewed here that she had been warned of this possibility before leaving Germany, including in writing, and she thought that she had signed to confirm that she was aware of the possibility.

• Thanks 1

Just now, JohninDubin said:

I believe the UK have been promising unrestricted to the fully vaxxed. I might be wrong. The problem was that I heard it while Bojo's lips were moving.

Not interested in coming back just impossible to get 72 hours test to go

1 minute ago, JohninDubin said:

Yeah BoJo is a gifted guy for sure. :)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Stonker said:

Correct, the free  ASQ for Thai returnees has ended.

Very unlikely, particularly as some of the Thai returnees were mixed (Thai / farang) families and these hotels aren't approved for ASQ.

What seems to be overlooked here as it was glossed over (maybe it didn't fit in with the outrage bus) is that the quarantined German said when interviewed here that she had been warned of this possibility before leaving Germany, including in writing, and she thought that she had signed to confirm that she was aware of the possibility.

It's the same stupidity as me needing covid test to check in, my Thai wife doesn't. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, PhayakPeter said:

Not interested in coming back just impossible to get 72 hours test to go

In DUB, you need, you can get them with about 24 hours notice. There is also a walk-in clinic at the Airport where no appointment is needed operating office hours. Results are usually within 24 hours. 

1 minute ago, JohninDubin said:

In DUB, you need, you can get them with about 24 hours notice. There is also a walk-in clinic at the Airport where no appointment is needed operating office hours. Results are usually within 24 hours. 

From Heathrow Thais don't need one

7 minutes ago, PhayakPeter said:

It's the same stupidity as me needing covid test to check in, my Thai wife doesn't. 

Or as stupid as Bangkok Airways suspended their flight to Phuket for preventive measures, but they have 3 daily preventive flights to Samui. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PhayakPeter said:

From Heathrow Thais don't need one

Do they need one on arrival at TH? You would think that with UK reporting 5X the new cases of TH, that it would be essential both before take off and on arrival.

15 minutes ago, PhayakPeter said:

Agreed 100% there - it's an absurd anomaly

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

Do they need one on arrival at TH? You would think that with UK reporting 5X the new cases of TH, that it would be essential both before take off and on arrival.

They're tested on arrival at BKK as part of their asq package. Impossible to provide one from UK on arrival, would be out of the 72 hours 

• Thanks 1

Keep looking......

Long haul genuine holidaymakers (as opposed to travelling for business or family reasons) are going to be all but extinct for a long time, not just to Thailand but all long haul tourist destinations. The cost, paperwork and risk are just too great. 

1 minute ago, Martin said:

Keep looking......

Long haul genuine holidaymakers (as opposed to travelling for business or family reasons) are going to be all but extinct for a long time, not just to Thailand but all long haul tourist destinations. The cost, paperwork and risk are just too great. 

?

42 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

vaxxed with what though?

1 hour ago, JohninDubin said:

During the meantime, my experience of Russians in Pattaya, is that they can be a very obnoxious people. The idea that "The Russians are coming. The Russians are coming", is one less reason to board my flight.

I'm with you on this one. Not only are they obnoxious, they bring a lot of kids. While that normally doesn't bother me, under the current conditions that's a huge negative. Even so, the idea Thailand wants more Russians is astounding. The Sputnik vaccine isn't approved many places because the Russian government refuses to release all the necessary data. A huge red flag for any rational person. While I would think there is little chance of Thailand approving it, I only have to remember they have approved the Chinese vaccines. Clearly the bar is very low. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Snotkop said:

When can vaccinated south Africans come to Thailand 

They are already there. Case reported last week:  2 made the land crossing to Phuket, and were quarantined within 24 hours after failing their arrival PCR test.

6 hours ago, Thaiger said:

. Changes next week may make it easier for UK travellers to come, and a push is on to let Russian

It's all hope springs eternal ain't it .. 

Russia has recorded near 6 mil' infections and near 150,000 deaths and in places like the Moscow oblast they are registering record numbers of infections .. so why would these nut cutlets think that they'll be gagging to Aeroflot it to Thailand .. the Black Sea will be the place many comrades chill this summer .. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dedinbed said:

Russia has recorded near 6 mil' infections and near 150,000 deaths and in places like the Moscow oblast they are registering record numbers of infections .. so why would these nut cutlets think that they'll be gagging to Aeroflot it to Thailand .. the Black Sea will be the place many comrades chill this summer .. 

It's all about money not risk. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PhayakPeter said:

If they were Thai they'd get free asq

In a Thai domestic quality facility . No thank you.

7 minutes ago, Dedinbed said:

One would hope.  The reality is that the Russians have a very low rate of full vaccination - about 13%, so that excludes a big chunk of the population able to circulate freely. Of greater concern, the Russian vaccine is not proven effective against the new  variants and Covid is raging in Russia. Thailand would be insane to allow easy access to Russians. The Chinese vaccines deployed in  Phuket  are not proven effective against the variants and there is no evidence a second dose of Astra Zeneca will do any better.  

If Thailand takes anyone it can, it will destroy any hope of  recovery for high season. No rational elderly westerner will enter Thailand  during high season, and by that I am referring to the very important Nordic demographic with so many coming for December to March. These people make a big difference and if Phuket has an infection crisis at high season, it is game over. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JohninDubin said:

•  

Looking at the text of this in the BKK Post, it seriously looks like a fluff piece put out by the PTA.

During the meantime, my experience of Russians in Pattaya, is that they can be a very obnoxious people. The idea that "The Russians are coming. The Russians are coming", is one less reason to board my flight.

The British are after labelled as arrogant. They are meek and mild compared to the Russians. Sorry to label a whole country as I’m sure that’s not the case. So I’ll be clear. Nearly all of the Russians I’ve seen in Phuket are arrogant people and easily turn to violence. They are also homophobic and racist. No apologies made for that comment I’m afraid. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Soidog said:

The British are after labelled as arrogant. They are meek and mild compared to the Russians. Sorry to label a whole country as I’m sure that’s not the case. So I’ll be clear. Nearly all of the Russians I’ve seen in Phuket are arrogant people and easily turn to violence. They are also homophobic and racist. No apologies made for that comment I’m afraid. 

I couldn't disagree with any of that. I wonder how much of that is to do with their populist leader.

I recall the 2018 World Cup and the chaos the Russian Ultras caused. Many of them were expelled and none were arrested. This led to the French Ambassador getting a dressing down from the Kremlin. Eho knows what would have happened if any had been charged.

During, the meantime, the French (quite rightly) had no such compunctions about arresting English hooligans.

• Like 1