News Forum - Songkran celebrations turn sour: Over 100 lives lost, 1,000 injured in road accidents

Thaiger

According to the Director General of the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation, Boontham Lertsukheekasem, 114 fatalities and 1,064 injuries were recorded due to road accidents nationwide during the Songkran holiday. Between Tuesday and Thursday, there were 1,055 traffic incidents leading to these casualties a report today revealed. Chiang Mai, a province in the north, …

The story Songkran celebrations turn sour: Over 100 lives lost, 1,000 injured in road accidents as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

It doesn't say, but I am guessing that more than fair percentage of the deaths and  injuries were young men on motorcycles.

Nothing will change until there is actual enforcement all year round - enforcement of licences and insurance, and more then a stiff talking to for DUI offences, for example.    

• Like 2

Post removed.
If you post inferred or factual statistics, post the URL to the site where you obtained the information.
You're wasting your time and ours if you don't follow the rules.

7. Posts must be accompanied by a personal comment & a valid working direct link (URL) to any quoted text or data image for verification or for any fact(s) or inferred fact(s) used in a personal comment.

Moderator.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grumpish said:

It doesn't say, but I am guessing that more than fair percentage of the deaths and  injuries were young men on motorcycles.

Nothing will change until there is actual enforcement all year round - enforcement of licences and insurance, and more then a stiff talking to for DUI offences, for example.    

Yes 79%. Reference here.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2549799/songkran-road-accidents-claim-114-lives.

5th paragraph. Second sentence.

So, another Song Kron will pass and the reasons for multiple deaths on the roads will get a lot of nodding heads in agreement that this is not good, and they will adjourn for a meal and agree to look at it next week when it is not newsworthy. 🥴

WHY, because the stupid dumb ass crap in control paid big baht for their jobs that they are very seriously unqualified to hold. (Daddy bought this job for me)

So many lives are lost through a dumb shit that has no connection to reality. TIT

• Like 2

Ok people have died and  there have been collisions. What's different? What are the typical numbers for other holiday periods? If they are lower, then it isn't as bad as it  looks (although still a sorry situation.)

• Like 1

Fossil fuel for all personal vehicles should be restricted.  Polluting the air that others breath is a health hazard and should be regulated by the Health and Safety departments of all governments.  Gasoline and diesel should be rationed and only allowed for those with jobs that need it - e.g. delivery trucks that supply food and water to grocery stores

Driving should be a privilege and not a right.  Too many people drive just because they can...no place to go, no reason to go there, just their selfish need to "go fast" and get somewhere.

90% of the population should use bicycles, public transportation, or walk.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ExpatPattaya said:

90% of the population should use bicycles, public transportation, or walk.  

I am guessing sarcasm????  

My experience the past several years bike riding here in Thailand is quite dangerous.  I ride my road bike several times a week when up north in the province, but when we are down in Bangkok for a month or two it is a bit more dicey maybe once a week.  I can’t run anymore after a knee replacement so I get my cardio  with bike riding.  I’ve had many close calls even though wearing bright fluorescent jerseys others driving don’t seem to see you speeding by and or just shoot out of a side soi onto the main road just as I am trying to pass the soi. That isn’t counting the motorbikes shooting out without even stopping to look for oncoming traffic.

• Like 1

Reviewing the Chiang Mai Rescue files and often gory photos it is obvious the majority of fatalities occur at NIGHT, often single vehicle - roll-overs, hitting poles etc., and involve alcohol or drug abuse.

CM being the 2nd largest Province, and with so many twisting country roads, almost always records the largest number of accidents.  Songkran holiday is a good time to stay home.

• Like 3

I must admit to some confusion over these figures. For example, this article from the Bangkok post (https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2550159/songkran-death-toll-rises-to-158) states that there were 44 killed and 368 injured yesterday (Friday), whereas the Thairsc website (https://www.thairsc.com/) shows 79 killed and 2802 injured yesterday. I wonder if the article in the Bangkok post is stating the numbers in excess of those that would occur on a "normal Friday".

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NightRider said:

Nothing exceptional. An average of 40 people die in road accidents every day in Thailand anyway, holiday or no holiday.

Yep, I am still trying to understand why they call it the 7 deadly days. The year has 365 days. 

On 4/15/2023 at 5:11 PM, JED1 said:

I must admit to some confusion over these figures. For example, this article from the Bangkok post (https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2550159/songkran-death-toll-rises-to-158) states that there were 44 killed and 368 injured yesterday (Friday), whereas the Thairsc website (https://www.thairsc.com/) shows 79 killed and 2802 injured yesterday. I wonder if the article in the Bangkok post is stating the numbers in excess of those that would occur on a "normal Friday".

TIT the figures will always vary.

If you die in an accident "on a road" you are a road death.

If you die as a result of an accident on the way to hospital, you are not a road death you died in an ambulance. Fact.

If you die in a hospital as a result of injuries sustained in an accident, you died in a hospital. Fact.

Thai logic at work.

So, extrapolate the numbers, as any westerner would do, then you have the reason for the logic.

The numbers would be massively terrifying and would show how out of control policing of roads and speed do not exist, therefore an international loss of face to the ...... running the place.

Add in the fact that Insurance companies would not touch you with a bar of soap in hand on mention of travel to Thailand for a bike tour (or possibly you leave the airport confines) of Thailand.

Ever heard, how fast you can go on roads in Thailand?

Ans. How fast can your car or bike go? 🥴

Its a sad, and probably undeserved, indictment of the ambulance para-medics, in that they race to collect the casualties and yet cant save them en route.