Film & TV Recommendations

Bluesofa

The Fog of War: Eleven Lessons from the Life of Robert S. McNamara  (2003)  1hr 47mins    
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0317910/

It was listed as 'biography', although I suppose it was more of an autobiography as it was done as an interview with McNamara.
I noticed a couple of times the interviewer asked a few questions that McNamara wouldn’t answer.
He also said that his attitude with reporters had always been not to answer their questions, but the answer the questions he wished they had asked.

It was interesting to watch, even though I was too young to understand exactly what going on at the time of the Vietnam war.

• Like 1

In the Same Breath  (2021)  1hr 37mins    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13648230/

How did the Chinese government turn pandemic cover ups in Wuhan into a triumph for the Communist party? 
Documentary director Nafu Wang tries to find out: When the government is telling us where to look, they're also telling us where not to look.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

In the Same Breath  (2021)  1hr 37mins    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13648230/

How did the Chinese government turn pandemic cover ups in Wuhan into a triumph for the Communist party? 
Documentary director Nafu Wang tries to find out: When the government is telling us where to look, they're also telling us where not to look.

Interesting film, the CCP did what they always do LIE. Last week the people's daily claimed the virus was a bio weapon from the USA, their propaganda is laughable. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, thai3 said:

Interesting film, the CCP did what they always do LIE. Last week the people's daily claimed the virus was a bio weapon from the USA, their propaganda is laughable. 

Weapons of mass destruction. They arent on their own.

Way off topic here. Apologies.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

How did you find that one 🤔🙄

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bob20 said:
17 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

How did you find that one 🤔

I clicked 'download' and there it was! Seriously though:

I thought it was interesting because it was the story of a Chinese woman living in the US but who was in Wuhan at the time the first people were being sent to overcrowded hospitals.
I was pleased she (the director/narrator) criticised the Chinese government for claiming the credit for having 'overcome' the problem.
It was interesting towards the end when she returned to the US that everyone in authority was denying it was an issue.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2021 at 5:39 AM, Faraday said:

The only torrents I've found are by ' Darkflix' & won't download....

You got any clues, guv'?

1337x

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

Yes, I've watched that and enjoyed it. I've watched the first six series so far.
I read S08 is supposed to be screened this year some time.

Confirmed: Three new compelling cases of Endeavour start Sunday 12 September at 8pm on ITV .. season 8.

Season 7 is already online and on bluray.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

I clicked 'download' and there it was! Seriously though:

I thought it was interesting because it was the story of a Chinese woman living in the US but who was in Wuhan at the time the first people were being sent to overcrowded hospitals.
I was pleased she (the director/narrator) criticised the Chinese government for claiming the credit for having 'overcome' the problem.
It was interesting towards the end when she returned to the US that everyone in authority was denying it was an issue.

Strange about the woman who ran a clinic with hubby treating early covid victims, then he got covid. Going to one hospital after another he could not get admitted or treated, in the end an ambulance carries him off and she never sees him again, At the end she is full of praise for the CCP and all they did for her!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thai3 said:

Strange about the woman who ran a clinic with hubby treating early covid victims, then he got covid. Going to one hospital after another he could not get admitted or treated, in the end an ambulance carries him off and she never sees him again, At the end she is full of praise for the CCP and all they did for her!

Yes, that bit was quite baffling I'll admit.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2021 at 6:59 AM, Bluesofa said:

Klem (2017-2020)   (aka Blood Pact)  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5544138/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0  

A Dutch drama series about a man who works for the tax authorities and becomes friends with a criminal after their young daughters become friends. Then the tax man accidentally saves the criminal’s life.

I thought it was very good and would recommend it.

So far I’ve only watched S01, but right now I’m already downloading S02 and S03. Each series has ten episodes.

It’s in Dutch with hard-coded English subtitles.
Note: If you happen to watch the subtitles with the sound off, just be aware (in S01) there are three or four episodes with five minutes of English dialogue where the subtitles stop. That caught me out!

An update on Klem. I've now watched all three series.

I'm pleased I did. S02 and S03 followed on with mainly the same characters and a gripping plot for both series.
Still all hard-coded English subtitles with very minimal English dialogue.

I don't know why, but some of these European films and series are pretty good. Perhaps it's me, but I see a few others on here have given some positive reviews of them too.

• Like 2

From 2011, Silk just popped up on Rar.

Really very good, with the luscious Maxine Peake, who is a talented actress & comedienne.

Been in Peaky Blinders, which is coming back sometime next year....

IMG_20210913_084534.thumb.png.86084862ef1dac8a8d6df9b5194bd36e.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

McCartney 3.2.1 on Hulu or Pirate Bay is remarkably interesting if you like him. (or even if you don't, you soon will)

Just imagine if way back in the days of Mozart, Beethoven or Gilbert & Sullivan, they had had the opportunity and facilities to have made something like this. Fascinating thought. 

Edited by WilliamG
  • Like 2

On 9/13/2021 at 2:15 PM, WilliamG said:

McCartney 3.2.1 on Hulu or Pirate Bay is remarkably interesting if you like him. (or even if you don't, you soon will)

I enjoyed it immensely.

The Power of the Dog, 2021, with Benedict Cumberbatch and Kirsten Dunst and directed by Oscar winner Jane Campion really looks like a full, expansive beautiful film.  Available now on Torrentday.com, though not in cinemas or television for some months.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10293406/

I'm glad to see films of a "Western" nature see an increase in popularity.  I'm avidly awaiting the new Clint Eastwood "Cry Macho", as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/11/2021 at 1:47 PM, Bluesofa said:

I read S08 is supposed to be screened this year some time.

Endeavour Episode 1 Season 8 just dropped on torrents.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1