Film & TV Recommendations

Bluesofa

And a great music documentary series I have just recently finished doing a binge on ….

Great insight into history through music 

• Like 1

Cold Case Hammarskjöld (2019)  2hrs 4mins  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9352780/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0  

"Danish director Mads Brügger and Swedish private investigator Göran Björkdahl are trying to solve the mysterious death of Dag Hammarskjöld. As their investigation closes in, they discover a crime far worse than killing the Secretary-General of the United Nations."
The above is the summary from imdb. Dag Hammarskjöld died in 1961.

It is a documentary, but has an unusual approach. The director is in Africa dictating the entire story to a secretary who is typing it. It is interspersed with archive footage, as well as the director and investigator being filmed in various locations in Africa investigating the death.
Even today there is reluctance politically to discuss the death and what really happened.

Not an easy watch, the documentary has it's critics. These are some of the imdb reviews:
Total waste of 2 good hours!
Mockumentary or Documentary?
Good, but slow and long-winded.
Great second half, but then there's the first half.

Personally, I'm in the camp of the last two comments above.
I won't spoil it by saying what the two guys discovered in the second half, but if true it is really more frightening than the death itself.

Even though it has English subtitles, the dialogue is entirely in English. It's a joint production by half-a-dozen broadcasters from Europe.
Available on torrent. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, Dune....

I d/l a 1080 webrip, but the quality really isn't very good & I stopped after 40 minutes, coz it just wasn't clear enough.

Can anyone recommend a copy that's not above 5Gb, & really is of 1080 quality, please?

• Like 1

On 10/8/2021 at 5:49 AM, Faraday said:

Tyrannosaur from 2011 is absolutely excellent, not a happy movie, but the acting from Olivia Colman & Peter Mullan was outstanding.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt1204340/

I think that's a good summing up of the film - 'not a happy movie'.
As one critic said: dark, depressing.....and simply stunning'.

I started to watch it and within twenty minutes I wanted to stop. Violence isn't something I like watching, but given the cast, especially Olivia Colman, I felt there must be more to it.
I stuck it out and it did develop more, even if there still was some violence later on. A difficult subject that I felt was dealt with well, given the cast.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

I think that's a good summing up of the film - 'not a happy movie'.
As one critic said: dark, depressing.....and simply stunning'.

I started to watch it and within twenty minutes I wanted to stop. Violence isn't something I like watching, but given the cast, especially Olivia Colman, I felt there must be more to it.
I stuck it out and it did develop more, even if there still was some violence later on. A difficult subject that I felt was dealt with well, given the cast.

Yes, it was difficult to watch & the three main characters are a good example of great British acting.

One of the songs, by Damien Dempsey is so fitting; not only for the movie, but also for perhaps - one might say, a class of person, who is underprivileged socially...?

Not quite sure if I've expressed my sentiments fully...

• Like 2

Watching Narcos Mexico. Excellent series and mostly historically factual.

Final season (season3) will wrap up the series. Not quite to the standard of the original Narcos (Colombian cartels) but still very much worth the watch.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, El_Trauco said:

Just available:

No Time to Die

torrent

What a coincidence, just down loaded 11 gb of it.  Prior to last night the copies were either handcams or  dubiously needed another "codec"

My viewing for later

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gummy said:

What a coincidence, just down loaded 11 gb of it.  Prior to last night the copies were either handcams or  dubiously needed another "codec"

My viewing for later

Now just starting to watch this and the opening credit scenes are impressive. What is more impressive is I spotted that name of the main costume designer, Suttirat Ann Larlarb.  Whilst she is American her parents are both Thai although most of her work has been in the UK where she lives. Now back to the movie

• Like 1

On 11/7/2021 at 11:45 PM, mickkotlarski said:

Watching Narcos Mexico. Excellent series and mostly historically factual.

Final season (season3) will wrap up the series. Not quite to the standard of the original Narcos (Colombian cartels) but still very much worth the watch.

I watched El Chapo and researched as I watched and was surprised by how much of it was fact not fiction.  So many of these films deviate and become far too fictional.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, billywillyjones said:

I watched El Chapo and researched as I watched and was surprised by how much of it was fact not fiction.  So many of these films deviate and become far too fictional.

After watching Narcos Mexico (sorry BWJ spoiler alert) but the series ends with El Chapo's rise to power during his incarceration. Thank you for the message. I think you must be part clairvoyant as el Chapo basically took over from Amado. Be good to see how his history played out as I'm interested. 

• Like 3