News Forum - Cops bust large group of French motorbike racers in Patong

Thaiger

On 2/10/2023 at 3:56 PM, Marc26 said:

They should just refuse to rent to French middle eastern men

You are a bit off, in geography:

These french are having more likely a north african ancestry.

But hey, not so bad/far away for someone from the US, methinks ;-)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Guest1 said:

You are a bit off, in geography:

These french are having more likely a north african ancestry.

But hey, not so bad/far away for someone from the US, methinks ;-)

Wrong, M26 is spot on.  That area of southern Med/North Africa is all part of the Middle East.

35 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

It's called MENA region for a reason. Middle East and North Africa. 

Otherwise referred to as Greater Middle East.  Or simply Middle East, a better descriptor than MENA.  To call them North African belies their true ethnicity which is not Black African.  They are more likely to be of Lebanese ethnicity.

Splitting hairs perhaps but imo M26 is not wrong.

Edited by KaptainRob
Extra info added

1 hour ago, KaptainRob said:

Otherwise referred to as Greater Middle East.  Or simply Middle East, a better descriptor than MENA.  To call them North African belies their true ethnicity which is not Black African.  They are more likely to be of Lebanese ethnicity.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Middle_East

An American term only introduced in 2004. 

Not generally used by anyone. 

5 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

An American term only introduced in 2004. 

Not generally used by anyone. 

M26 is American.  And I'd certainly equate Morocco, Algeria, Lebanon etc as being ME ethnicity.

55 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

M26 is American.  And I'd certainly equate Morocco, Algeria, Lebanon etc as being ME ethnicity.

Just because George Bush decides to use a term in 2004 doesn't mean much. 

Furthermore, Lebanon is in the Levant, a good 5-6 flight from Morocco. You should brush up on your geography there. 

There are many ethnicities in the ME region, comprising Arabs, Kurds, Turks, Persians, Azerbaijani and countless others. 

North African countries like Morocco, Algeria etc have a mix of local Berber (indigenous to the area) people and arab populations. 

Generally, by MOST people, the countries of the Maghreb are not considered part of the ME. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

Wrong, M26 is spot on.  That area of southern Med/North Africa is all part of the Middle East.

If you say so

• Like 1

On 2/12/2023 at 10:24 PM, Marc26 said:

No they aren't emulating Thai drivers

If you spent any extended time in Phuket this is way different than any Thais driving bad

I don’t live in Thailand but spend enough time driving there to get a good flavour of whats happening. I drive every time we visit so collectively will have spent about a year on the roads. 3 weeks in December, another 3 weeks this April.

I can only comment as I find. Are you suggesting that Thai riders and drivers are in fact model citizens and I’ve got it all wrong?

I’m not saying there isn’t a problem with foreign riders, there most definitely is, I was merely commenting on the reason. I’m also well aware that Thais are pretty much born on 2 wheels so do it in their sleep. Foreign riders usually don’t have anything like the experience. 

On 2/13/2023 at 7:24 AM, TheDirtyDurian said:

Just because George Bush decides to use a term in 2004 doesn't mean much. 

Furthermore, Lebanon is in the Levant, a good 5-6 flight from Morocco. You should brush up on your geography there. 

There are many ethnicities in the ME region, comprising Arabs, Kurds, Turks, Persians, Azerbaijani and countless others. 

North African countries like Morocco, Algeria etc have a mix of local Berber (indigenous to the area) people and arab populations. 

Generally, by MOST people, the countries of the Maghreb are not considered part of the ME. 

The countries of Margheb have nothing to do whatsever with the ME. Anyone saying otherwise has 0 clue.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2023 at 4:29 AM, KaptainRob said:

Sorry, but M26 is wrong and so are you. And what on earth is "lebanese ethnicity"???

And to come back on the subject and to clarify things as many seems a little confused. The kids we see in the video, I can guarantee that not a single of them is from any of those countries. They are born in France and the last link they had with those countries is at least from their grand parents or most likely from their great grand parents... and the color of their skins (which I guess hence the confusion from some here...???!!). Calling them French "algerians" etc.. is at the very least a little "......" (fill the gap with the word of your choice). I grew up in the suburb of a big city in France and if you tell anything else to the many many friends I grew up with whom had Maghreb origins and were the first generation of being born in France (they are all at least 50 and over now), they would not be happy at all (tell them they are of Lebanese ethnicity, they will be simply laughing at you). The guys in that video are basically their kids or most likely their grand kids, so not much to do anymore with the Maghreb. And of course, not all of them, some have no Maghreb origins whatsoever but I guess also that they are not the ones in that crowd that seem to be attracting people's attention here.

5 hours ago, Manu said:

Sorry, but M26 is wrong and so are you. And what on earth is "lebanese ethnicity"???

And to come back on the subject and to clarify things as many seems a little confused. The kids we see in the video, I can guarantee that not a single of them is from any of those countries. They are born in France and the last link they had with those countries is at least from their grand parents or most likely from their great grand parents... and the color of their skins (which I guess hence the confusion from some here...???!!). Calling them French "algerians" etc.. is at the very least a little "......" (fill the gap with the word of your choice). I grew up in the suburb of a big city in France and if you tell anything else to the many many friends I grew up with whom had Maghreb origins and were the first generation of being born in France (they are all at least 50 and over now), they would not be happy at all (tell them they are of Lebanese ethnicity, they will be simply laughing at you). The guys in that video are basically their kids or most likely their grand kids, so not much to do anymore with the Maghreb. And of course, not all of them, some have no Maghreb origins whatsoever but I guess also that they are not the ones in that crowd that seem to be attracting people's attention here.

Doesn't matter where they were born 

The "French" driving like menaces dangering others are all middle eastern or North African descent 

That's a  fact 

Maybe their parents should have brought them up better 

On 2/10/2023 at 3:57 PM, KaptainRob said:

But these are supposedly quality tourists  ....🙄

Frenchmen and quality in the same sentence ?????????????????????????????????????????????😂