News Forum - Cops bust large group of French motorbike racers in Patong

Thaiger

Motorbike racing tourists are once again causing a public nuisance in Thailand, this time in Patong. Cops busted a large group of French motorbike racers in Patong on Wednesday night. Footage of the racers went viral on local social media platforms, causing outrage among residents. The residents complained that the racers were disturbing them when …

The story Cops bust large group of French motorbike racers in Patong as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

5 hours ago, Luigi said:

red stamp and expulsion from the kingdom. They are always the ones who cause inconvenience and danger on the roads

Amen. Deport them all. Phuket around this time of year is insufferable due to French mafia and other troublemakers. Fights and trouble all night, every night - just ban them.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pinga said:

Amen. Deport them all. Phuket around this time of year is insufferable due to French mafia and other troublemakers. Fights and trouble all night, every night - just ban them.

But these are supposedly quality tourists  ....🙄

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

But these are supposedly quality tourists  ....🙄

Depends on how much they are spending. To many, but Asian minds especially, quantity is the only definition of quality.

• Like 1

Arrest them and charge them and deal with them. If it’s repeat offences then deport them and stop them returning. 

Was it just the upstanding Thai “Residents” who were Outraged or could other “People” be Outraged? I guess not, as the visitors and the racing scum are all one and the same type, “Foreign”. 

5 hours ago, Soidog said:

Arrest them and charge them and deal with them. If it’s repeat offences then deport them and stop them returning. 

Was it just the upstanding Thai “Residents” who were Outraged or could other “People” be Outraged? I guess not, as the visitors and the racing scum are all one and the same type, “Foreign”. 

You are commenting on something without really knowing the whole story...........because there is background and why "residents" are highlighted

These "French" are middle eastern French that terrorize Phuket with their antics on the bikes

And it's the "residents" that see this problem on a daily basis..........so they know it is a continuing issue for a long time

And I'd image "residents" also include expats, who have been complaining about this issue for a long time

They should just refuse to rent to French middle eastern men

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

But these are supposedly quality tourists

They are quality … they annoy the Thais like the Thai Police annoy the Tourists  …. Quid Pro Quo?

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

You are commenting on something without really knowing the whole story...........because there is background and why "residents" are highlighted

These "French" are middle eastern French that terrorize Phuket with their antics on the bikes

And it's the "residents" that see this problem on a daily basis..........so they know it is a continuing issue for a long time

And I'd image "residents" also include expats, who have been complaining about this issue for a long time

They should just refuse to rent to French middle eastern men

Sorry, but I don’t need to know the specifics or background to make the point I’m making. Maybe residents does include expats, most likely not in the mind of the Thais. And what about people who are on holiday they’re having to put up with that kind of thing? Wrap it up and excuse it however you wish. Perhaps this is a borderline example to make the point about. I’ll wait a day or two until the next and perhaps more obvious “them and us” headline or comment is made. You are attempting to defend the indefensible once again I’m afraid.  I’ll happily provide link after link after link of where this happens

”People in Phuket are outraged”. It’s really not that difficult to be more inclusive in the comments. I’m surprised you defend such exclusive comments. Or perhaps you don’t hold or expect  Thai media to the same standards as western media ? 

14 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Sorry, but I don’t need to know the specifics or background to make the point I’m making. Maybe residents does include expats, most likely not in the mind of the Thais. And what about people who are on holiday they’re having to put up with that kind of thing? Wrap it up and excuse it however you wish. Perhaps this is a borderline example to make the point about. I’ll wait a day or two until the next and perhaps more obvious “them and us” headline or comment is made. You are attempting to defend the indefensible once again I’m afraid.  I’ll happily provide link after link after link of where this happens

”People in Phuket are outraged”. It’s really not that difficult to be more inclusive in the comments. I’m surprised you defend such exclusive comments. Or perhaps you don’t hold or expect  Thai media to the same standards as western media ? 

But it is not a "them and us"

You commented on something you obviously aren't familiar with, with a common gripe you have

These French Middle Eastern guys have been a menace for years on the bikes

And residents, and I'd guess more expats than Thais, have been complaining about it for some time

There is no 'wrapping it up and excusing it"

You misquoted the article with "Thai residents" to air your grip, when in all likeliehood, it was 'expat residents" making up a big % of complaints

I am telling you from personal knowledge about the longstanding issues and complaints

They are French in terms of having valuable passport only. Their allegiance is to Tunisia, Maroc, Algerie,  and other North Africa region. They upset and terrorize other westerners and French nationals too. These are like the  English and German soccer hooligans; Perpetually living off public benefits, dedicated criminals without any consideration to people outside their own inbred cliques and "tribes". Every year, same problem. These are the same people who make the arrondisements offlimits to police and who openly discriminate against people who are not of their culture.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

But it is not a "them and us"

You commented on something you obviously aren't familiar with, with a common gripe you have

That’s fine. I’ll await the next time to highlight a them and us piece of “journalism”. 

32 minutes ago, Soidog said:

That’s fine. I’ll await the next time to highlight a them and us piece of “journalism”. 

Sure I am sure there are plenty...........just from personal experience, this isn't one of them

4 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Sure I am sure there are plenty...........just from personal experience, this isn't one of them

You are typically missing the point! 

If this was a story about too many beach chairs or too many people setting up beach stalls selling food, then it was acceptable to make some differentiation. But this was about a bunch of A-holes behaving like Tw*ts. So this was about “people being unhappy”. People. like me and you. ( People are unhappy) Like Indians or French. Like Malaysian or Japanese.   We have to stop supporting this “we are Thai and you aren’t” attitude. It’s to help the Thai people we do this for. 

5 hours ago, Marc26 said:

So why defend it. Thai media, including Thaiger talk keeps pushing this “them and us” so why don’t you stand up and denounce it? 

On 2/10/2023 at 2:09 PM, Soidog said:

You are typically missing the point! 

If this was a story about too many beach chairs or too many people setting up beach stalls selling food, then it was acceptable to make some differentiation. But this was about a bunch of A-holes behaving like Tw*ts. So this was about “people being unhappy”. People. like me and you. ( People are unhappy) Like Indians or French. Like Malaysian or Japanese.   We have to stop supporting this “we are Thai and you aren’t” attitude. It’s to help the Thai people we do this for. 

They literally never said Thai people once in that article

You did

And as I told you numerous this has been an issue that expats have complaints about for years

5 hours ago, Marc26 said:

They literally never said Thai people once in that article

You did

And as I told you numerous this has been an issue that expats have complaints about for years

Again, missing the point. You don’t have to be a resident to be outraged by a bunch of people riding motorbikes like lunatics through Patong. You aren’t a resident of Patong but I’m sure you would have been outraged. I’m not a resident and I would have been outraged. Most “People” would have been outraged. 

As for this being a problem for years, what kind of “news” article requires the reader to be fully aware of the detail of the story?  Why write it if the prerequisite  is that you already know about it? 

Mate, as I said, I may have chosen a borderline example to illustrate something we all know goes on regularly with the Thai media. A constant reminder through headlines of a them and us agenda. Locals versus foreigners. This example subtly emphasises it even more. Rowdy and disruptive Foreigners upsetting locals. It helps no one in the long run, least of all the Thai people and normalises such behaviour to the point where even Government Ministers can get away with it.

You know my point and I’ve made it. Let’s leave it at that as this is straying off topic.  

On 2/10/2023 at 9:10 AM, Grumpish said:

Depends on how much they are spending. To many, but Asian minds especially, quantity is the only definition of quality.

Well I am sure that bar owners and girls in Patong are welcoming them with arms wide opened. This kind of young French tourists are not the backpacker's type and tend to spend a lot on holiday.

There is undoubtedly a problem with foreigners riding mopeds and motorbikes erratically in tourist hot spots. But you need to look at the wider picture to understand why.

Driving round southern Thailand you constantly see Thai riders speeding, carving through traffic, riding without helmets, lights and wearing dark clothing making them invisible at night. They ignore your traffic signals and so on.

The foreign riders are merely emulating the locals and trying to fit in. Police ALL riders not just foreigners. There’s plenty of low hanging fruit to pick at. Once the majority starts behaving themselves in traffic foreigners will naturally fall into line. As it is they just see everyone else and assume its the norm.

It also doesn’t help that in relative terms any fines handed out are pretty small. It wouldn’t be uncommon for motoring related fines to run into several thousand Euros back home depending on earnings and the vehicle being driven, so a few hundred or thousand baht and no implications on their licence / ability to drive back home is merely a rounding error and something to tell their mates in the bar when they get back from their holiday.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Henry said:

There is undoubtedly a problem with foreigners riding mopeds and motorbikes erratically in tourist hot spots. But you need to look at the wider picture to understand why.

Driving round southern Thailand you constantly see Thai riders speeding, carving through traffic, riding without helmets, lights and wearing dark clothing making them invisible at night. They ignore your traffic signals and so on.

The foreign riders are merely emulating the locals and trying to fit in. Police ALL riders not just foreigners. There’s plenty of low hanging fruit to pick at. Once the majority starts behaving themselves in traffic foreigners will naturally fall into line. As it is they just see everyone else and assume its the norm.

It also doesn’t help that in relative terms any fines handed out are pretty small. It wouldn’t be uncommon for motoring related fines to run into several thousand Euros back home depending on earnings and the vehicle being driven, so a few hundred or thousand baht and no implications on their licence / ability to drive back home is merely a rounding error and something to tell their mates in the bar when they get back from their holiday.

No they aren't emulating Thai drivers

If you spent any extended time in Phuket this is way different than any Thais driving bad

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Manu said:

What on earth are you talking about???

These are a certain group of people 

Middle Eastern guys from France 

That's exactly what I am talking about

On 2/10/2023 at 3:24 AM, Thaiger said:

Cops busted a large group of French motorbike racers in Patong

Looking at the pictures, this french guys are not having given names Vincent, Bastian, Leon, ...., but Mohammed ,Muhammed, Ali, ....

Just saying