News Forum - Driver hits and kills pedestrian on dimly lit Pattaya road

Thaiger

A driver hit and killed a pedestrian crossing a dimly lit Pattaya road on Wednesday night, in Thailand’s latest road tragedy. Bang Lamung police arrived on the scene in front of Soi Bang Lamung 12 to find the victim, a 46 year old man named Paiboon Tongmo, dead on the road. The driver, 27 year …

The story Driver hits and kills pedestrian on dimly lit Pattaya road as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Tara's statistics are somewhat lacking >

There were 21,052 accidents in 2020, and 11,138 accidents in 2021. About 20% of accidents involved motorcycles, while 8% involved six-wheel trucks, and 8% involved trucks with at least 10 wheels

= 36%.  I assume the balance of 64% were all 4 wheeled vehicles?

Thailand's roads are most dangerous to motorcycle riders and passengers who account for ~80% of all fatalities.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KaptainRob said:

Thailand's roads are most dangerous to motorcycle riders and passengers who account for ~80% of all fatalities.  

It's not really lacking; the real reason for the unbelievable numbers is much simpler.

To take the simplest case, suppose there's only 1 accident and that involved a car and a bike. That results in a car:bike ratio of 1:1 .

Now suppose there's a 2nd accident and it involved (also) a car but a motorcycle instead of a bike. That results in a car:bike:motorcycle ratio of 2:1:1, or equivalently (to let it nicely sum op to 100%), 50:25:25.

Now consider the resulting press release about those 2 accidents and the way it ends up in digestible news for the public: it'll be "50% of all accidents involved a car" (it's of course actually 100%, but in pie-charts "cars" will indeed - and even correctly - occupy only 50%!).

In real life, it's even worse. The Department of Land Transport uses these categories: pedestrian, bicycle, tricycle, motorcycle, motortricycle, sedan, van, pick up, bus, six-wheeled truck, ten-wheeled truck, argriculture car, taxi and other.

It's actually quite funny: if next year they decide to distinguish between blue and non-blue sedans, the motorbike percentage will drop further :-)

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

You have to factor in the weird interpretations of road accident deaths in Thailand.

If they die at the scene of the accident, they are a road death.  

If they die in the ambulance on the way to hospital from sustained injuries, it doesn't qualify as a road death. They died in an ambulance on the way to hospital. (Thai logic)

Hence if they die in hospital from sustained injuries, it doesn't qualify as a road death either. You died in hospital not on a road.

Bearing these interpretations in mind, it boggles sanity the realistic death rates via road accidents in Thailand if western interpretations were to be applied. 

Insurance companies wouldn't touch you for a bike riding travel policy for Thailand, I'm sure or you would have to be extremely wealthy to afford a policy.

• Like 4

The GPS data on the dashcam image places the car on Sukhumvit about 1km North of the interchange with 36, travelling at 114 kph. I wonder what the speed limit is.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JED1 said:

The GPS data on the dashcam image places the car on Sukhumvit about 1km North of the interchange with 36, travelling at 114 kph. I wonder what the speed limit is.

Nice catch! 

8 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

But motorcycles are very numerous

I really wish we knew how many safe successful miles were traveled in a day by motorcycle across the world. It is probably more statistically safe than we think

4 hours ago, JED1 said:

You have done a ten times better job than the RTP already. You could lead CSI-Bangkok.  Oh no you can’t. You’re not Thai. Sorry😉

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JED1 said:

Well spotted Jed.  Speed limit appears to be 90 as per signage on the opposite carriageway.

9 hours ago, socal said:

But motorcycles are very numerous

I really wish we knew how many safe successful miles were traveled in a day by motorcycle across the world. It is probably more statistically safe than we think

From personal experience (in the UK) two out of the three times that a visit to A&E resulted in a hospital stay were the results of motorcycle accidents. The difference with Thailand is that so many hurtle around like maniacs, whereas in a lot of other Asian countries they drive very slowly (thinking Vietnam here,  where the technique for crossing the road is to walk slowly but steadily and let them drive round you).

9 hours ago, Soidog said:

You have done a ten times better job than the RTP already. You could lead CSI-Bangkok.  Oh no you can’t. You’re not Thai. Sorry😉

And has an allergy to brown envelopes 🤪

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, JED1 said:

Bet he wishes he hadn't lashed out for the all-singing-all-dancing version of GPS now...