News Forum - Russian woman almost drowns on Patong beach

Thaiger

It was a close call for one Russian woman who almost drowned on Patong Beach yesterday. The incident happened at the part of the beach near Bangla Police Box. Tourists pulled the unconscious woman out of the water, and lifeguards, once aware of the situation, rushed to help.  The lifeguards, and a tourist who was …

The story Russian woman almost drowns on Patong beach as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Them undertow’s down there at sometimes of the year are not to be messed with. Been there sone that when I was younger but knew how to deal with it. Never again though. 

I got caught in a rip current on the same beach last year it was frightening to be honest I was minutes away from saying goodbye when a young Thai lad on a surf board came over and I grabbed his board, a sea scooter came and rescued me about ten minutes later never again! 

20 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Them undertow’s down there at sometimes of the year are not to be messed with. Been there sone that when I was younger but knew how to deal with it. Never again though. 

But it is not that time of the year now
And Bangla police box is between La Flora and Impiana hotels, middle of Patong beach and busiest part if I remember well..

44 minutes ago, Alavan said:

But it is not that time of the year now
And Bangla police box is between La Flora and Impiana hotels, middle of Patong beach and busiest part if I remember well..

I have been at Patong beach and felt the undertow tug before so don't be fooled if a wqeak swimmer. My big experience was at Karon beach nearly 20 years ago. Now that at Karon was extremely hard and took me literally 35 - 40 minutes to get back to shore. But Patong has an ugly surge pull to it as well.

Of course it is not every month all year round. I was just in Phuket Patong and then going to the more south beaches last June, but it was still red flags at some and still there.

Karon beach is one of my favourite beaches because of its beautiful sand, and sometimes clean water. (Can't stay more than an hour or two because of the lack of shade). It has one of the nastiest rip tide currents which fools novice visitors. Never experienced much of a current at Patong beach, probably because it is hard to swim with the 100+ jet skis and parasail thugs monopolizing the beach. Swimmers were relegated to some of the worst parts of the beach.it doesn't have clean water wither and the run off of raw sewage was enough to discourage me from  entering the Bay of Poo as we called it after a  storm.