2 Thai women attacked by foreign mafia in Koh Samui

KaptainRob

A Thai woman sought help from the Thai media after she and her mother were attacked by some foreigners who claimed to be part of a mafia gang at a bar in Koh Samui on New Year’s Eve. The woman turned to the media because the police ignored her case.

The local Facebook page Samui Fresh News posted a video and pictures of a foreign group of two men and two women attacking two Thai women at a bar in Koh Samui yesterday, January 10.

Full story HERE > https://thethaiger.com/news/national/2-thai-women-attacked-by-foreign-mafia-in-koh-samui

I worry about getting a speeding fine or overstaying my visa for a day in case I have a problem getting back in to the country next time. Some people get away with all manner of crimes and manage to stay in the country without a problem. I wonder how they do it?…… Oh wait, think I’ve got the answer. CORRUPTION.  The root of all of Thailands problems. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

A Thai woman sought help from the Thai media after she and her mother were attacked by some foreigners who claimed to be part of a mafia gang at a bar in Koh Samui on New Year’s Eve.

Daughter and Mum out for New Year's Eve, I get this part, but hitting a bar full of foreigners in a tourist trap to celebrate I don't get. Unless.    ..........???????

11 minutes ago, palooka said:

Daughter and Mum out for New Year's Eve, I get this part, but hitting a bar full of foreigners in a tourist trap to celebrate I don't get. Unless.    ..........???????

And her name is Joy. Mother and daughter sandwich?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Soidog said:

I worry about getting a speeding fine or overstaying my visa for a day in case I have a problem getting back in to the country next time. Some people get away with all manner of crimes and manage to stay in the country without a problem. I wonder how they do it?…… Oh wait, think I’ve got the answer. CORRUPTION.  The root of all of Thailands problems. 

my thoughts exactly while reading and watching this.. btw I've witnessed first hand some of these out of control 'powerful' foreigners in Samui's nightclubs. disgusting

3 minutes ago, Wackamole said:

my thoughts exactly while reading and watching this.. btw I've witnessed first hand some of these out of control 'powerful' foreigners in Samui's nightclubs. disgusting

Yes, I was in a bar in Pattaya about 6 months ago with a group of friends. This group of well heeled foreign men came in and the staff were falling over backwards to greet and please them. A group of girls were rounded up and told to sit with them. They wondered around being greeted and grovelled at. It was about as much as I could take, and then 2 police in uniform and two other guys dressed casually, but still wearing some official looking jackets came in and sat with them and were laughing and drinking whiskey. Time to leave. Now of course it could have all been legal and all normal business. My sixth sense told me it wasn’t !! 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Yes, I was in a bar in Pattaya about 6 months ago with a group of friends. This group of well heeled foreign men came in and the staff were falling over backwards to greet and please them. A group of girls were rounded up and told to sit with them. They wondered around being greeted and grovelled at. It was about as much as I could take, and then 2 police in uniform and two other guys dressed casually, but still wearing some official looking jackets came in and sat with them and were laughing and drinking whiskey. Time to leave. Now of course it could have all been legal and all normal business. My sixth sense told me it wasn’t !! 

A guy I worked with in NYC went to Hong Kong and became a big shot, ended up running Jack Ma's investment firm

And he went to Thailand quite often and told me he'd introduce me to all these high-so's, govt and royals

And I believe he could, he got that big in Asia

I politely declined, I don't care if those connections could bring me a ton of money business wise...........I have zero desire to hang out with that type of crowd in Thailand

Even just interacting casually with Rich Thais, say in passing meeting at a hotel, I find them just weird and a bit crass...........

5 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

A guy I worked with in NYC went to Hong Kong and became a big shot, ended up running Jack Ma's investment firm

And he went to Thailand quite often and told me he'd introduce me to all these high-so's, govt and royals

And I believe he could, he got that big in Asia

I politely declined, I don't care if those connections could bring me a ton of money business wise...........I have zero desire to hang out with that type of crowd in Thailand

Even just interacting casually with Rich Thais, say in passing meeting at a hotel, I find them just weird and a bit crass...........

Yes I feel the same Marc. I’ve never been comfortable with this notion of respecting and showing respect just for who you are. I hear people in my country who talk about respect and I think they’ve been watching too many episodes of the Sopranos. This attitude just makes me uncomfortable and yet is very prevalent in Thai society. Even when the person is nothing more than the guy who runs the local school. I have no time for it. If you’re a decent kind and honest person I will like you. Irrespective of how wealthy, poor, influential or famous you are or not. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Yes I feel the same Marc. I’ve never been comfortable with this notion of respecting and showing respect just for who you are. I hear people in my country who talk about respect and I think they’ve been watching too many episodes of the Sopranos. This attitude just makes me uncomfortable and yet is very prevalent in Thai society. Even when the person is nothing more than the guy who runs the local school. I have no time for it. If you’re a decent kind and honest person I will like you. Irrespective of how wealthy, poor, influential or famous you are or not. 

Well I get that but if you are looking to do business or "make connections" I guess we always do that, to a point

In my business, if I run into the head trader at say HSBC or Barclay's I am not showing any sort of deferance but I am making a point of giving them extra attention

So I don't mind playing the game a bit...........

For me, I just think rich Thais treat people like shit, for the most part and I don't want to be around that at all

• Like 1

Samui has a very strong native "mafia"-style group. There have been incidents before involving bikies and some other foreigners, but one wonders at the relationship between local groups and foreign interlopers. The police inactivity doesn't bode well, though

Edited by cowslip