News Forum - Fans boo Thai national anthem at Blackpink concert

Thaiger

K-pop band Blackpink kicked off their world tour in Bangkok on Saturday to a chorus of boos. Thai media reported video clips released on social media shows fans booing as the Thai royal anthem played on stage as the words “Please pay your respects to His Majesty the King” appeared on the screen before the band took to the stage. Prachatai English reported that Princess Ubolratana made an appearance at the concert but it isn’t known whether the 71 year old heard the boos. The concert at the Supachalasai Stadium was reported to be a success as Blackpink fans, known as “Blinks,” […]

The story Fans boo Thai national anthem at Blackpink concert as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

She is not royalist, she is loyalist.

She is smart to understand that her K-POP career in Korea will end in a few years and she will need to return back to Thailand to run TV shows on Thai TV and advertize air conditioners and collagen on billboards on BTS.

She worked hard to build her carreer not to ruin it one day.

Same as almost all high profile Russian entertainers and "stars" put their heads in the sand during the start of the war, no one wanted to easily give up their lifestyle they used to.

4 hours ago, sangchai said:

She is smart to understand that her K-POP career in Korea will end in a few years and she will need to return back to Thailand to run TV shows on Thai TV and advertize air conditioners and collagen on billboards on BTS.

I don't think you understand how huge she is(or how huge Blackpink is), she will never need to do Thai TV or do any advertisement for "the need"

She's the Asian face of some of the biggest brands in the world, she is well past needing Thailand

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I don't think you understand how huge she is(or how huge Blackpink is), she will never need to do Thai TV or do any advertisement for "the need"

She's the Asian face of some of the biggest brands in the world, she is well past needing Thailand

I agree Marc, but it’s still her home and will want to return. I’m sure she will be smart enough to distance herself from such issues.

It’s interesting this has happened though. I was told recently that more Thais are refusing to stand for the anthem in cinemas and respecting the 8am/6pm protocol of standing still in silence? 

If something is wrong then it will change. It’s only a matter of time…..

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I agree Marc, but it’s still her home and will want to return. I’m sure she will be smart enough to distance herself from such issues.

It’s interesting this has happened though. I was told recently that more Thais are refusing to stand for the anthem in cinemas and respecting the 8am/6pm protocol of standing still in silence? 

I wasn't commenting on her actions, my wife doesn't love this new King but still would show respect for him

So I am sure it may be similar

She's a nice kid who loves her country..........

I was just commenting on her needing Thailand for any sort of monetary reasons, sure she wants to make money in Thailand, but she won't actually need it......she's global

You ever see these girls go to fashion shows of the brand's they rep? Absolute chaos. 

She's a global superstar.........

Her "K-Pop" career isn't ending anytime soon either, she's part of probably the biggest band in the world

I think the girl is one of the very few who has "it"

She could do anything, I could see her being a huge movie star in Hollywood if she wanted to be

I'd still buy stock in her if I could

21 minutes ago, Soidog said:

By the way, I see this is as a good thing

Not because I have some hatred towards the new one

I just think getting Thais to not blindly follow them is a good thing(trying to be careful wording)

Should have happened long before this one............

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Soidog said:

Last year at Udon Thani hospital I saw this happen at 8am. One middle-aged Thai woman remained seated.

At the end, someone near her asked why she didn't stand up. The woman replied, "He's not my king."
Nothing more was said.

13 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

Last year at Udon Thani hospital I saw this happen at 8am. One middle-aged Thai woman remained seated.

At the end, someone near her asked why she didn't stand up. The woman replied, "He's not my king."
Nothing more was said.

Interesting times ahead I’m sure 😬😬

• Thanks 1

Royalist means more politically than respecting the monarch. Also KPOP managers highly choreograph every single trivial actions of the members. So I find it hard to infer someone’s politics by somewhat banal actions like that and don’t think the writer should have done such speculation in the article. 

20 hours ago, sangchai said:

She worked hard to build her carreer not to ruin it one day.

Same as almost all high profile Russian entertainers and "stars" put their heads in the sand during the start of the war, no one wanted to easily give up their lifestyle they used to.

She is already rich with probably near $30 million or more now. 

15 hours ago, Soidog said:

I seriously go to movies every other week with my family here in CM. What do you think most Thai all do or don’t do? There prerogative as it not law. I actually go to the bathroom to be ready to watch the movie as it’s always starts right after that.

56 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

I seriously go to movies every other week with my family here in CM. What do you think most Thai all do or don’t do? There prerogative as it not law. I actually go to the bathroom to be ready to watch the movie as it’s always starts right after that.

Perhaps a misunderstanding of my post?  I was simply repeating what I had been told. I really don’t care if people stand or not. It’s entirely their choice.  

I was just confirming it. I would like to go on with it but I try not to say too much on this touchy subject staying safe. For theaters it has been fir quite some time already now. Years but getting stronger. My kids are free to do what they want. I’ll leave it at that. 

The previous one had so much respect for the people and they for him, sadly for Thais and Thailand the new one seems to be totally the opposite.

3 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

I was just confirming it. I would like to go on with it but I try not to say too much on this touchy subject staying safe. For theaters it has been fir quite some time already now. Years but getting stronger. My kids are free to do what they want. I’ll leave it at that. 

I was so shocked when I went to see avatar that nobody stood up. At this point keeping it on is probably doing more damage than anything else.

Sad to hear this. People don't understand these days the good the monarchy has done for the people. Thailand is a place where people from all over the world come and wish to live which is in most part directly due to royal policy. People from the model democratic western countries come and never want to leave, why? Because there is freedom of the mind in Thailand. Freedom to express yourself as long as you don't bother others. Because the great king was kind and compassionate. Show some respect for the monarchy. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ev7 said:

One of the girls is from Buriram?  Why does she live in Korea and have a career as a k-pop idol?  

Edited by Moderator

Umm.......to make millions of dollars!

By the way, only one of the 3 was born and grew up in Korea

One was born in Australia

One in Thailand

And one was born in Korea and went to school in NZ and US

6 minutes ago, CryptokibbutzMaeso said:

Sad to hear this. People don't understand these days the good the monarchy has done for the people. Thailand is a place where people from all over the world come and wish to live which is in most part directly due to royal policy. People from the model democratic western countries come and never want to leave, why? Because there is freedom of the mind in Thailand. Freedom to express yourself as long as you don't bother others. Because the great king was kind and compassionate. Show some respect for the monarchy. 

Again touchy subject but when you rule over a poor country and amass $60bil in wealth, whatever they/he did was not enough.........