News Forum - Covid travel restrictions return tomorrow

Thaiger

It’s probably just a coincidence, but just as China is easing their travel blocks and allowing its citizens to travel abroad, Covid travel restrictions are officially back. The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT) has recently announced a set of rules that will apply to all non-Thai arrivals between January 9 and 31. These rules come as the country anticipates an influx of tourists from China, while the country has been ravaged by its biggest-ever wave of coronavirus infections. Despite Covid numbers that the government hasn’t been terribly transparent about, but are said to be in the millions, the Chinese […]

The story Covid travel restrictions return tomorrow as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Pretty useless for retarding the present virus or any mutated version that will ultimately arrive startin tomorrow from the birthplace when the Chinese quality tourists flood in here.

The CCP and seems the majority of their people just love to create havoc and dim situations for the rest of the world, and this Gov kowtowing to them isn't an attribute for intelligent common sense. Once the virus takes hold here again might cause a mass outcry against the ones who openly pushed to let them in.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, edusparrat said:

spacer.png       

What about long time foreigners staying on a VISA

Non-O who just happen to travel for a few days?

I did read about an exception for expats but can’t recall the detail. I don’t think it said anything about Permanent Residency expats. But it did list something. I don’t think it covered the majority of expats who are on Non-O extended on the basis of retirement though. My understanding would be that anyone travelling from outside of the country would need to show proof of vaccination. 

It’s odd how this requirement is not being applied to Thais arriving in the country. If it’s a health driven requirement and meant to be non-discriminatory, then why not Thai citizens also? 

The problem is that you can pick this apart so easily in terms of logic, as you can with most Thai immigration policies. It’s driven, not by logic, but by the need to keep their political fence post up their rear end and the ingrained fear of foreigners, all wrapped up in their collective incompetence.  

• Like 7

Yeah, China has removed all outbound travel restrictions. But any inbound travel still needs proof of negative covid test. So these travelers when go back home will still be subjected to quarantined. The removal of travel restrictions in China is only to boost local industry in mind. 

11 minutes ago, Ramanathan.P said:

Yeah, China has removed all outbound travel restrictions. But any inbound travel still needs proof of negative covid test. So these travelers when go back home will still be subjected to quarantined. The removal of travel restrictions in China is only to boost local industry in mind. 

No-one is being quarantined in China. Enjoy your evening. 😉

18 minutes ago, Poolie said:

No, apart from the thousands being in A&E/ICU departments and those self quarantining at home due to the massive spike in infections as a result of the totally failed policies of the CCP. For many, following their period of isolation in an ICU, they then get to have their bodies stacked up in sports halls awaiting disposal. 

No quarantine, just around 1 million deaths on the way and millions with severe long term health issues. 

Have a wonderful evening 😉

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ramanathan.P said:

So what that says is infect and pollute everyone else in every other country, but do not bring the bat virus we made back to us. Same as they still allowed international flights back in ground zero days but restricted domestic flights. 

• Like 6

Much ado about nothing. A majority of travellers are vaccinated. A small number are non compliant.  Based upon data already known about the vaccine refusers, they are not a significant factor economically. Thailand may be perceived as a nuch safer place to travel now and this may encourage visitors. The measures are temporary until the end of the month and reflect concerns of WHO and others of PRC non co-operation.

4 hours ago, Poolie said:

Is that because of the millions lying in comas in hospitals or already dead?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Vigo said:

Much ado about nothing. A majority of travellers are vaccinated. A small number are non compliant.  Based upon data already known about the vaccine refusers, they are not a significant factor economically. Thailand may be perceived as a nuch safer place to travel now and this may encourage visitors. The measures are temporary until the end of the month and reflect concerns of WHO and others of PRC non co-operation.

So you think that immigration won't take any extra time admitting people by checking their certification and of course dealing with those who either didn't know or haven't got any or have to have a test? Some groups are going to be mixed - some OK, whilst other members aren't satisfactory.....so they'll be sitting around too.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, cowslip said:

So you think that immigration won't take any extra time admitting people by checking their certification and of course dealing with those who either didn't know or haven't got any or have to have a test? Some groups are going to be mixed - some OK, whilst other members aren't satisfactory.....so they'll be sitting around too.

Not really, unless you are relying on land crossings. Remember that the verification will occur prior to arrival at a Thai airport. Airlines will have to verify documents pre boarding. Most countries kept their electronic covid passport data formats. I  have mine and  it even includes my booster. Most airlines previously required  client to upload the data  at electronic checkin.

2 hours ago, Vigo said:

Not really, unless you are relying on land crossings. Remember that the verification will occur prior to arrival at a Thai airport. Airlines will have to verify documents pre boarding. Most countries kept their electronic covid passport data formats. I  have mine and  it even includes my booster. Most airlines previously required  client to upload the data  at electronic checkin.

Lets se what happen in the next few days....

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, cowslip said:

Let’s se what happen in the next few days....

Agreed. If this isn’t a major issue and the number of travellers affected is thought to be small or minuscule, then there will be no need to change things. If on the other hand, many tour agents from Europe and elsewhere complain, and volumes are thought to be material, then it will change. Let’s see…

• Like 1

Well I am flying today to Suvarnabhumi and then back home tomorrow in nighttime, so I will be able to judge CM airport and the big airport for what it looks as passenger increase from China and results from other countries flying say like India and Vietnam from before. Not sure if the Russians fly too much to there too much before as they flew to Sathahip and Phuket direct before. Not actually looking forward to seeing any increase in Chinese and I will try to avoid being around them if possible. Covid reasons more of reason as certainly so with it are going to slip through. 

18 hours ago, Thaiger said:

It’s probably just a coincidence, but just as China is easing their travel blocks and allowing its citizens to travel abroad, Covid travel restrictions are officially back. The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT) has recently announced a set of rules that will apply to all non-Thai arrivals between January 9 and 31. These rules come as the country anticipates an influx of tourists from China, while the country has been ravaged by its biggest-ever wave of coronavirus infections. Despite Covid numbers that the government hasn’t been terribly transparent about, but are said to be in the millions, the Chinese […]

The story Covid travel restrictions return tomorrow as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

It will be chaotic in the airport.

We have  NHS  certificates for Covid vaccinations  showing 3 jabs. The last ones were in Dec 2021. So my understanding is that this is sufficient. Howevever, I want to be sure before I buy tickets for my wife and I as we need to fly soon. We cannot delay till the end of the month. I managed to get through today (Sunday) to one airline (Lufthansa) and asked them about this and they were unaware of any Covid vaccination requirements. Even after I had explained about the  reintroduction of the latest Covid related requirements. They still said that as far as they are aware  all  Covid restrictions have been lifted.  

11 hours ago, Poolie said:

I wondered where the 50 cent army AKA wumao had been, I guess quarantine LOL

1 hour ago, HolyCowCm said:

Well I am flying today to Suvarnabhumi and then back home tomorrow in nighttime, so I will be able to judge CM airport and the big airport for what it looks as passenger increase from China and results from other countries flying say like India and Vietnam from before. Not sure if the Russians fly too much to there too much before as they flew to Sathahip and Phuket direct before. Not actually looking forward to seeing any increase in Chinese and I will try to avoid being around them if possible. Covid reasons more of reason as certainly so with it are going to slip through. 

Fewer Indians have been arriving since late December due to new curbs on arrivals from Thailand....

Just now, Soidog said:

I was referring to those who may cancel their trip. Not the numbers infected from China. If the Thai authorities believe the number of people who will now cancel or postpone their trips to be small or minuscule, then I guess they won’t make any changes to what was recently announced regarding Covid vaccination requirements. If on the other hand, they think it will have a material impact on visitor numbers from Europe, US, Australia etc, then they are likely to change the policy in the coming few days. 

I suspect they are so deep in this mess now that they will just slog it out. If many people cancel they will brush it off and carry on as though it was a success as they always do. 

A test on arrival is apparently an option for the unvaccinated in a last minute change announced last night, but I don't think your average visitor or anyone with non essential reasons for coming will risk it. For starters, some airlines will simply refuse unvaccinated passengers from boarding, while others may allow it but uncertainty over the procedure and what happens if you test positive will undermine confidence.

The measure is said to remain in place until the end of the month. I don't see them ending it early as it would constitute a loss of face. Also, it's only for 3 weeks, not that long. 

It could simply not be renewed on January 31.

Or more likely (in my opinion) we'll be seeing Thailand go back to a similar regimen to the July-September period last year, effective January 31:

Vaccine or test only. They'll also keep the Insurance requirement for Indian and Chinese arrivals for as long as PCR tests are necessary to return home to these countries. 

I suspect that while India might scrap the requirement next month, China will keep it in place for at least 3-6 months.

No word on what happens at land border crossings so this may still present an unrestricted entry route into the country. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Highlandman said:

A test on arrival is apparently an option for the unvaccinated in a last minute change announced last night

Yes, I think @Rookie posted a link to a news report on that yesterday. I haven’t seen anything official on that late change. It wouldn’t surprise me if they have made that change in a ham-fisted attempt to limit the damage to other tourists outside of those arriving from China. Like you say, I think many wouldn’t want to risk it. Like all things, time will tell…. 

1 hour ago, feelmyrhythm said:

We have  NHS  certificates for Covid vaccinations  showing 3 jabs. The last ones were in Dec 2021. So my understanding is that this is sufficient. Howevever, I want to be sure before I buy tickets for my wife and I as we need to fly soon. We cannot delay till the end of the month. I managed to get through today (Sunday) to one airline (Lufthansa) and asked them about this and they were unaware of any Covid vaccination requirements. Even after I had explained about the  reintroduction of the latest Covid related requirements. They still said that as far as they are aware  all  Covid restrictions have been lifted.  

This is significant as nowhere have I seen and indication of how recent vaccinations need to be, how many people are going to turn up at airports to find that their vaccinations have “expired” I went with the jabs In mid 2021 I still got COVID two month later, and passed it on to my wife so decided they are not effective in my particular situation so much like the flu jabs will abstain - hence my concern with travel planned back to NZ in a few months. I do not need to show proof of vax there but may have to I’m my return