News Forum - Get connected with Thailand’s top cannabis shops, farms, and wholesalers on WEED.in.th

Thaiger

Since the decriminalization of cannabis in Thailand on June 9th, over 2,540 cannabis-related storefront businesses have emerged, and more than 50,000 reviews have been submitted for these businesses. In addition to the proliferation of storefronts, over 1,125,000 residents have registered for permission to cultivate cannabis in record-breaking time. In response to the growing demand for cannabis in Thailand, the team behind WEED.in.th has developed a free platform to make business promotion and search easier throughout the kingdom. The platform is designed to serve a wide range of audiences, providing services to help businesses promote themselves, connect with customers, and streamline […]

The story Get connected with Thailand’s top cannabis shops, farms, and wholesalers on WEED.in.th as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I have posed similar questions on other threads, but is it now 100% legal?  If not, what restrictions surround this industry now?  I like to indulge from time to time when im in the USA because its been decriminalized in most areas and at this point even in places its not the police dont give a 💩

I always refrain in Thailand because it aint worth going to jail over.  But if that has changed i'd appreciate the option 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2023 at 2:58 PM, MrNovax said:

I have posed similar questions on other threads, but is it now 100% legal?  If not, what restrictions surround this industry now?  I like to indulge from time to time when im in the USA because its been decriminalized in most areas and at this point even in places its not the police dont give a 💩

I always refrain in Thailand because it aint worth going to jail over.  But if that has changed i'd appreciate the option 

MrNovax, I have been confused many times in Thailand, especially with laws. But this is probably the most confusing ever.

When I started to hear/read about it almost 2 years ago, it was supposed to be about buying seeds from the government, grow the weed and then sell it back for the purpose of different industries (pharmaceutical, cosmetic, ...). It was supposed to be no more than 0.2% THC. You have to apply for a licence, even for growing some at home. You can also smoke it in the privacy of your home. I even had some friends over a year ago who went to Isan to see if they could start a business there. I always undertsood that and read nothing else about it until June last year when I went back to Europe for 3 months. Then on my return early September, I found shops opening everywhere, selling stuff up to 50% THC, space cakes, .... On the island where I am, the strong smell seems to be everywhere. And still to this day, I have no idea what happened. It feels a little like prostitution: it is illegal but it is everywhere and absolutely everyone acts as if it was legal.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Manu said:

MrNovax, I have been confused many times in Thailand, especially with laws. But this is probably the most confusing ever.

When I started to hear/read about it almost 2 years ago, it was supposed to be about buying seeds from the government, grow the weed and then sell it back for the purpose of different industries (pharmaceutical, cosmetic, ...). It was supposed to be no more than 0.2% THC. You have to apply for a licence, even for growing some at home. You can also smoke it in the privacy of your home. I even had some friends over a year ago who went to Isan to see if they could start a business there. I always undertsood that and read nothing else about it until June last year when I went back to Europe for 3 months. Then on my return early September, I found shops opening everywhere, selling stuff up to 50% THC, space cakes, .... On the island where I am, the strong smell seems to be everywhere. And still to this day, I have no idea what happened. It feels a little like prostitution: it is illegal but it is everywhere and absolutely everyone acts as if it was legal.

Agreed, very confusing.  I arrived back in BKK a few weeks ago and my first trip down to Sukumvit road was an eye opener.  Shops everywhere, people partaking in the open, etc.  If i arrived and had no knowledge of the laws i would think it was 100% legal.  

I think overall its a good thing but wish they would clarify the laws.

As I understand, only Thais can apply for a licence to grow it.

Possession, cultivation, distribution, consumption, and sales of all cannabis plant parts are legal. Cannabis extracts and cannabis products (including edibles, food supplements, cosmetics, etc.) containing THC more than 0.2% by weight are still categorized as narcotics. Import and export of cannabis are still highly regulated. Recreational use of cannabis products is discouraged but legal. There is no restriction on THC content for cannabis plant parts. Sales of cannabis plant parts, products, and edibles are prohibited to minors (< 20 years old), pregnant women, and breastfeeding women. Cannabis smoke is considered a public nuisance and thus prohibited in public areas.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_in_Thailand

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MrNovax said:

Agreed, very confusing.  I arrived back in BKK a few weeks ago and my first trip down to Sukumvit road was an eye opener.  Shops everywhere, people partaking in the open, etc.  If i arrived and had no knowledge of the laws i would think it was 100% legal.  

Well roll it and enjoy!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Faz said:

No surprise there the. @Faz.  Makes me wonder why we don’t reciprocate these anti-competition laws in developed countries? Of course I know why. We are insane!!  Only when Mandarin or Arabic  is compulsory in schools will we wake up. Far far too late 

14 hours ago, MrNovax said:

13 hours ago, Faz said:

Possession, cultivation, distribution, consumption, and sales of all cannabis plant parts are legal. Cannabis extracts and cannabis products (including edibles, food supplements, cosmetics, etc.) containing THC more than 0.2% by weight are still categorized as narcotics. Import and export of cannabis are still highly regulated. Recreational use of cannabis products is discouraged but legal. There is no restriction on THC content for cannabis plant parts. Sales of cannabis plant parts, products, and edibles are prohibited to minors (< 20 years old), pregnant women, and breastfeeding women. Cannabis smoke is considered a public nuisance and thus prohibited in public areas.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_in_Thailand

Well I found an intersting and very detailed article (https://www.dw.com/en/thailand-legal-uncertainty-dampens-thriving-weed-businesses/a-64109306). Now while canabis has been removed from the list of banned narcotics, actually no law has been passed yet.

The Southeast Asian country hoped the move would boost its agriculture and tourism industry and allow the plant to be used for medical purposes. But lawmakers have failed to come to an agreement on how to regulate and control the new thriving industry.

Uncertainty is expected to continue, as it looks increasingly unlikely that the law will be passed this year or even before Thailand's general election, which has been tentatively scheduled for May 7.

What a mess: it is legal although there is no law. Talking about putting the cart before the horse.

The article also talks about how much money some are making. I am not surprise to read this. There is shop about 2 doors down my bar, there are more people going in and out that place than a busy train station. And the prices are Amsterdam prices, up to 900 bths for 1 gram. I guess it is time now to make as much money as possible and enjoy the smoking before the elections cause if by any miracle The Move Forward Party win them, this will be all over.

11 hours ago, Soidog said:

No surprise there the. @Faz.  Makes me wonder why we don’t reciprocate these anti-competition laws in developed countries? Of course I know why. We are insane!!  Only when Mandarin or Arabic  is compulsory in schools will we wake up. Far far too late 

I suppose they consider growing cannabis as agriculture, which is a forbidden trade for our likes 🙄

• Like 1