News Forum - POLL: Majority opposed to 4am venue curfew

Thaiger

A new poll shows that, despite vocal advocates and support amongst tourists, the majority of Thai people don’t believe that nightlife entertainment venues should be allowed to open until 4am. The poll found that 48.6% of people believe that two am is a late enough time for bars and clubs to close. Only about 40.6% of people believe that some or all entertainment venues should be allowed to open until later. The National Institute of Development Administration conducted the poll by interviewing 1,310 people. The interviews took place between December 23 and December 27. The NIDA Pole address the current […]

The story POLL: Majority opposed to 4am venue curfew as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Yeah, most of the Thai people have either directly or indirectly affected in one way or another by these drunken idiots. Better if can stop at midnight. 

• Like 1

Don't believe it. If kept in a drinking area or tourist area and noise after 2am is not a factor, then no one probably cares. Noise is the biggest culprit for people to say no. Even me if noise and A-h-oles being too loud after 11pm is too much. But if controlled in certain areas then who cares.

• Like 3

Who cares what Thai people think - they are not the ones being affected by a curfew in tourist areas. Ask tourists and expats and you'll get a very different answer.

7 hours ago, Pinga said:

Who cares what Thai people think - they are not the ones being affected by a curfew in tourist areas. Ask tourists and expats and you'll get a very different answer.

Well they are if they live in the area! Many Thais also go on holiday in their own country. Thais are also the people who would need to work until 4am in the bars and nightclubs. Sorry @Pinga but that’s not correct to say they aren’t affected by it. . 

• Like 1

The right answer but for the wrong reasons... If the entertainment venues would show some self restraint on the noise pollution (10,000amp speakers) and be held accountable for over serving patrons... then let them party all night if they wish... NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN

I expect the staff who have to work in the bars don’t want 4o’clock finish either, if you can’t have enough to drink by 2 am then you probably have a problem. 

• Like 1

I'm prone to dragging my anchor after midnight, and it's around then my (more sensible) wife starts blowing up my phone. 🗣️ 😒

Despite my protests in the moment, I'd agree midnight to 0100 is a sensible time for staff to turn up the lights and haul out the Hoover.  After that, you're automatically entered as a contestant in the nightly Gong Show, and the potential Star of your very own article in The Thaiger Local News forum.

The typical difference between the practice and the theory in Thailand. The theory on this perticular subject is about talks to end the 2am curfew or not. The pratice is there are already so many bars and venues opening way after 2am. Everywhere where I am. I have also a bar and for example, on the day of the world cup final and with a bar full of French people, I would have had a riot if I had closed the bar at 2am...the start of the game. We did warn in advance our neighbours living behind the bars as we always do when we know we will be late or have a special party. Other days, we usually turn the music down by 1am and at the very lowest by 2am if we are still open (at least music is not an issue when there is a football game). We have no problem with our neighbours. As usual, it is all about respecting and communicating with people around you to find compromises that are acceptable to everyone. I guess it is much easier in small communities.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Smiler said:

I expect the staff who have to work in the bars don’t want 4o’clock finish either, if you can’t have enough to drink by 2 am then you probably have a problem. 

Fact: drunk patrons tip more.

Another fact: just because you're an early drinker doesn't mean others are. I rarely leave the house before midnight and will be quite sober at 2am.

20 hours ago, Soidog said:

Well they are if they live in the area!

I'm talking about places like bangla road, soi 11, nana, etc. These aren't places Thais live in (except very few who choose to live there to be close to nightlife).

As far as neighborhood bars and other venues that might actually disturb normal people - go ahead and close them at 2am or even midnight - but there's no reason to close a nightclub at 2am if it's sound insulated and in an entertainment area. Case in point entertainment area - if you choose to live in one you have zero right to complain about noise.

29 minutes ago, Pinga said:

Another fact: just because you're an early drinker doesn't mean others are. I rarely leave the house before midnight and will be quite sober at 2am.

I'm talking about places like bangla road, soi 11, nana, etc. These aren't places Thais live in (except very few who choose to live there to be close to nightlife).

As far as neighborhood bars and other venues that might actually disturb normal people - go ahead and close them at 2am or even midnight - but there's no reason to close a nightclub at 2am if it's sound insulated and in an entertainment area. Case in point entertainment area - if you choose to live in one you have zero right to complain about noise.

Ok, but Thais still have to work in those bars. People leave those areas creating noise as they head back to hotels. Even when they get in hotels they walk along corridors mouthing if off at 4am. 

2am is late enough. If you want more time to drink, go out earlier. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Soidog said:

Ok, but Thais still have to work in those bars. People leave those areas creating noise as they head back to hotels. Even when they get in hotels they walk along corridors mouthing if off at 4am. 

2am is late enough. If you want more time to drink, go out earlier. 

That's all arbitrary isn't it?

You walking in a hotel talking at 2am could wake up me who wanted to go to bed at 10pm

Same with the closing times

I'm way past 4am nights but others aren't 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pinga said:

Fact do the staff get paid any more? No of course not they are forced to work the extra hours for no extra pay! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Marc26 said:

That's all arbitrary isn't it?

Many things in life are when it comes to setting limits. Why 70mph on a motorway? Why drinking age is 18? 

They are set usually in an attempt to balance liberties with excesses. 2am is an attempt at that compromise. What compromise would you suggest? Or do you advocate full 24 hour opening? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Soidog said:

They are set usually in an attempt to balance liberties with excesses. 2am is an attempt at that compromise. What compromise would you suggest? Or do you advocate full 24 hour opening? 

Yes- giving venues the *option* (but not obligation) to close whenever they feel like would be ideal. Let the market dictate closing time, not some arbitrary limit that some old guys think is "late enough".

Again regarding noise and nuisance - anyone in a hotel in an entertainment area should expect some level of noise. If you don't like it - don't stay there - it's really that easy. Plenty of nice hotels that aren't smack in the middle of the action.

12 hours ago, Smiler said:

Fact do the staff get paid any more? No of course not they are forced to work the extra hours for no extra pay! 

Of course they are paid more....

9 minutes ago, Pinga said:

Yes- giving venues the *option* (but not obligation) to close whenever they feel like would be ideal. Let the market dictate closing time, not some arbitrary limit that some old guys think is "late enough".

Again regarding noise and nuisance - anyone in a hotel in an entertainment area should expect some level of noise. If you don't like it - don't stay there - it's really that easy. Plenty of nice hotels that aren't smack in the middle of the action.

On your first point about market forces, I would normally agree. However, in Thailand money is Number 1 and salaries are cheap. I go to many town outside of the tourist zones and you see bars aimed at foreigners who have one or two people in and staying open to all hours. The Thai owners would employ two staff on 350bht and keep the bars open all hours. We would then have drinks walking around and riding bikes at 7-8am when people are heading to work and kids going to school. It’s not possible to segment “tourist areas” as easily as it’s said. 

On the issue of noise. Again, if only it was that simple. I’ve stayed in hotels many miles from Bangla Road and yet still have pissed up groups falling in around 4am shouting their mouths off.

I simply fail to see why 2am is a problem. How much time do people want to get drunk and have a good time. It’s not like it’s closing time at 11pm and let’s face it, if you want a drink after 2am, there’s plenty of places you can find.