Jump to content

Pattaya looks into September reopening despite uptick in Covid-19 infections


Thaiger
 Share

Recommended Posts

Despite the uptick in Covid-19 infections, Pattaya is planned to reopen to foreign arrivals, possibly in September, under a scheme similar to Phuket and the trio of islands off Surat Thani, where tourists who are vaccinated against Covid-19 can enter without undergoing a 14-day quarantine. Yesterday, Pattaya City Mayor Sonthaya Khunplume met with the deputy mayors and those in the tourism industry to discuss the plans to reopen the popular tourist destination. Officials have also discussed using Koh Larn, an island off the coast of Pattaya, much like the Phuket “Sandbox” since it is easy to monitor those entering and […]

The post Pattaya looks into September reopening despite uptick in Covid-19 infections appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No more developments have been reported on the Koh Larn idea.” - if they are smart it will remain that way. So which plan are they looking at Phuket or Kho Samui because to me they are not the same. Besides the difficulty of opening Pattaya in general, if they do the Phuket plan I could see them generating much better numbers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The continued ridiculous fear mongering has to end. 

 

We know the at risk groups 

 

Stop destroying tens of millions of people's lives and businesses 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mcambl61 said:

The continued ridiculous fear mongering has to end. 

We know the at risk groups 

Stop destroying tens of millions of people's lives and businesses 

I agree a balance needs to be found. That’s what most major economies tried to do and were lambasted for it a year ago. Lockdown is a great idea as long as things blow over inside 3-6 months or you have the money and self sufficiency to survive longer (Thailand has neither). Covid didn’t blow over and now middle and poor income countries who achieved great results early on in the pandemic are faced with a major problem. 
 

The harsh reality is that the only thing you have to protect is the healthcare system. It can not be allowed to collapse due to Covid cases. If you do that, your indirect sickness and death cases (for everyone) increases. No A&E means everyone is at risk should you have an accident or a heart attack. With perhaps 20 million people in Thailand who could be categorised as being at “high risk”, you could end up with a significant strain on healthcare. Even in developed countries like the U.K., Covid has had a major impact on the healthcare service; some the effects of which will not be known for some time. Many cancer treatments have been delayed. Many more have gone undiagnosed early. The true cost of Covid is far wider than those who contract it and die from complications. 
 

All of this of course has to be balanced with the social and economic impact of lockdown and the health and well-being impact this has in society. This also causes deaths and suffering. This is the balance politicians and medics need to find and I’m only glad I’m not one of them! 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Soidog said:

I agree a balance needs to be found. That’s what most major economies tried to do and were lambasted for it a year ago. Lockdown is a great idea as long as things blow over inside 3-6 months or you have the money and self sufficiency to survive longer (Thailand has neither). Covid didn’t blow over and now middle and poor income countries who achieved great results early on in the pandemic are faced with a major problem. 
 

The harsh reality is that the only thing you have to protect is the healthcare system. It can not be allowed to collapse due to Covid cases. If you do that, your indirect sickness and death cases (for everyone) increases. No A&E means everyone is at risk should you have an accident or a heart attack. With perhaps 20 million people in Thailand who could be categorised as being at “high risk”, you could end up with a significant strain on healthcare. Even in developed countries like the U.K., Covid has had a major impact on the healthcare service; some the effects of which will not be known for some time. Many cancer treatments have been delayed. Many more have gone undiagnosed early. The true cost of Covid is far wider than those who contract it and die from complications. 
 

All of this of course has to be balanced with the social and economic impact of lockdown and the health and well-being impact this has in society. This also causes deaths and suffering. This is the balance politicians and medics need to find and I’m only glad I’m not one of them! 

It's reported that the waiting list for treatment in the UK is the highest ever recorded.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, yselmike said:

It's reported that the waiting list for treatment in the UK is the highest ever recorded.

Yes I think that’s correct. The U.K. health service came close in some parts of the country to being overwhelmed. Many operations and appointments were cancelled. In addition, many people themselves decided not to attend hospital for fear of infection with Covid. All of this has created a significant backlog that could take years to clear. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Possibly, maybe, thinking of.....all hearsay in LOS  Actions speak louder than words..keep yapping.

Even after a decade here I still wont believe I will get my visa on each and every border run to Laos,

as Ive come to the mindset of I will believe it when I SEE it..when the visa is gotten and stamped upon

re-entry into LOS then I believe it, as I have been here long enough to know of all the possible changes,

misunderstandings, miscommunications, government BS, flip flopping visa rules and the fickle thais...

Same as every time I land at Swampy and wait in line for the grumpy IO to flip thru my passport, look at computer screen, look at me, flip again thru passport counting my previous visas, then finally, stamps it.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Paco said:

Goodness and still everyone believes it will make a difference, you must be crazy to go now to pattaya... 

I guess we all have to be a bit crazy to even go to thailand, if not before you enter, but when you leave :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, AlexPTY said:

I guess they ignore all those lockdown talks 

The most important phrase to remember in LOS. "Money #1" as Ive heard from many Thais.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Xaos said:

Open fully We don't need safety for the price of freedom or economy or suicides. It's common cold for god's sake.

It's not the common cold, or the flu

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, thai3 said:

It's not the common cold, or the flu

No, but it affects a known set of the public, which we know of and the people below 60 in reasonable health are not a high risk. 

 

Deal with reality and the data and stop the ridiculous amount of draconian measures that are destroying millions of people, jobs and mental health as well as destruction of certain industries. 

 

A ridiculous fear mongering posture while ignoring the data and the risk. 

Edited by mcambl61
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/9/2021 at 4:27 AM, PapayaBokBok said:

I guess we all have to be a bit crazy to even go to thailand, if not before you enter, but when you leave :)

I guess I was crazy then 18 years ago, That is why I never left  :)

Edited by Paco
  • Cool 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Paco said:

I guess I was crazy then 18 years ago, That is why I never left  :)

I only leave due to visas and come home to work, and am itching to get back in, minus all the hoops

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Join Thaiger Talk Today!

    Sign up in 30 seconds and join the discussion on everything Thailand!

  • Latest Posts

    1. 2

      News Forum - New law allows foreign talent to thrive in Thailand

    2. 2

      News Forum - ‘Buy insurance’ urges English tourist who crashed moped through window in Thailand

    3. 35

      What are Health Services like in your country?

    4. 10

      News Forum - No one responsible for Service Hall collapse at Don Mueang Airport, confirms AOT

    5. 10

      News Forum - No one responsible for Service Hall collapse at Don Mueang Airport, confirms AOT

  • New Topics

  • Tell a friend

    Love Thaiger Talk? Tell a friend!
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By posting on Thaiger Talk you agree to the Terms of Use