News Forum - Boat catches fire while anchored at Phuket marina

Thaiger

Earlier this morning, a tour boat moored at a pier in Phuket caught fire causing damages but no injuries or death. The incident took place at about 7.30 this morning in the Muang district. Phuket Governor Narong Woonciew reported that no one was on board the ship at the time of the fire, so there were no injuries or deaths, but the boat did sustain damages. People on the scene reported that they initially saw flames on the right side of the boat. Shortly after they heard an explosion and the boat was engulfed in flames. Fortunately, firefighters managed to […]

The story Boat catches fire while anchored at Phuket marina as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

So far there is no official explanation of how the fire broke out

Can't say, how it broke out, but in case the boat has a insurance, I'd have an idea why and follow the money

36 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Battery or batteries? Insurance? I would love to hear what Kaptain thinks.

Negligence by maintenance workers?  A smouldering ciggie butt, fibre glassing chemical reaction, electrical fault. ... I doubt it's anything more sinister.

1 hour ago, KaptainRob said:

Negligence by maintenance workers?  A smouldering ciggie butt, fibre glassing chemical reaction, electrical fault. ... I doubt it's anything more sinister.

Gosh, who knows! 

5 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

Probable Insurance Fraud. 
such a minor event has got nothing to with a Provincial Governor. Don’t see him uttering a word about the likely ten kids a day dying in Phuket from motorbike accidents: national disgrace that …..

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

fibre glassing chemical reaction

Can you tell more about this one - how fibreglass can do this, and does that mean it would be something new waiting to cure?

2 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

Can you tell more about this one - how fibreglass can do this, and does that mean it would be something new waiting to cure?

See HERE for a full explanation. 

The interior fitout of most vessels include flammable materials, plywood, styrene. fiberglass, resins, glues and paints.  During maintenance and modifications the flammable glues, solvents and anything recently worked on must be adequately ventilated as they can all give off fumes which could reach an explosive level in a closed compartment.

Eg: Methyl Ethyl Ketone, MEK, can melt a non-approved container giving off self-combustible gases in a hot environment

• Thanks 1

No one on board....how fire catches. May be the fire has been instructed to engulf when there is no one on board.....Anyway...Insurance will have the answer.