News Forum - Two women sue Apple saying AirTag product gives stalkers access to their whereabouts

Thaiger

Two women are reportedly suing Apple, claiming its AirTag product gives potential stalkers access to one’s whereabouts. One of those women says she found an AirTag tracking device in the wheel well of her car, while the second woman says she found one in her child’s backpack.  The lawsuit alleges that the company had failed to heed warnings from advocacy groups and news reports over its product’s potential to give unwanted locations to stalkers. According to The New York Times, the class action lawsuit was filed on Monday in the United States District Court for the Northern District of California. […]

The story Two women sue Apple saying AirTag product gives stalkers access to their whereabouts as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

So do a myriad of other small GPS tracking devices you can buy on the internet. What a stupid claim this is. I hope the courts charge them for wasting their time 

15 minutes ago, Soidog said:

So do a myriad of other small GPS tracking devices you can buy on the internet. What a stupid claim this is. I hope the courts charge them for wasting their time 

It's all about money ... out of court settlement and a few lawyers get rich(er).

NB: Airtags sell on Lazada from 35 bt each.

28 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

It's all about money ... out of court settlement and a few lawyers get rich(er).

NB: Airtags sell on Lazada from 35 bt each.

Agreed. 

Please send the link. I’ve not seen them that cheap. I’ve seen cases and covers at that price but the AirTags are around 1,100??? 

3 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Really? That's like suing all knife-manufacturers for their complicity in murders past, present and future. Every kind of technology can be abused (something as banal as binoculars can be used to track peoples movements from a distance).

Unless the technology has "supporting illegal activities" as the main and core purpose (crypto-phones, bitcoin-scramblers and spy-trojans come to mind, but even with them it isn't all that clear-cut), it makes no sense  (except for naïve and futile greediness) to pursue a case against a technology provider.

I doubt Apple would ever opt for settling (that only makes sense if a demented court might set a precedent by stating that Apple should have incorporated measures against abuse; it'd be like requiring that binoculars self-destruct after having been looked through suspiciously often).

• Like 2