A couple of surprises on application for extension on an O visa.

DwizzleyMatthews

43 minutes ago, DwizzleyMatthews said:

Yes, going to a higher ranking official with the proof to plead your case , preferably in Thai , is always preferable to raising your voice or starting a rant, that approach is almost certain to give negative results.

Avoid taking a wife/partner; that rarely works out well in my experience as it will be Thai talking to Thai with you as piggy in the middle.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chaimai said:

Avoid taking a wife/partner; that rarely works out well in my experience as it will be Thai talking to Thai with you as piggy in the middle.

I constantly advise those applying for retirement extensions, not to take a Thai for that reason.
Invariably they don't listen and if refused for any reason the Thai partner then can't explain it as their English is poor, or in some instances they didn't understand what the IO was referring to, hence they start the merry-go-round .................... and it's always the IO at fault 🤣

Unfortunately, I apply based on Thai spouse, so the wife has to be present, but she knows the drill now and takes a back seat as a passenger. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

I need to apply for my 1-year extension on my permission to stay, with an underlying type-O visa, in January next year, and I hope I don't have your (the Original Poster's) problem.  

I also deliberately invalidated my previous type-OA visa's permission to stay earlier this year (2022), by leaving Thailand without a re-entry permit, and when I returned in October this year (45-days visa exempt), I applied for a 90-day Type-O visa (which takes me to the 3rd week in February-2023). 

In this case, my permission to stay on the 45-days Visa exempt expired 3rd week in November-2022 and I didn't get my 90-day type-O until early December-2022 (which was backdated to when my 45-day visa exempt expired in 3rd week of Nov-2022). Immigration actually held my passport for the last two weeks (after my permission to stay expired), which was a bit unnerving. But in the end I did get my passport back with the 90-day visa stamped inside.

My plan now is to apply for a 1-year extension based on retirement early next year.

The immigration official when giving me my passport back, with the 90-day type-O Visa and associated permission to stay stamped in the passport, recommended I apply for my 1-year extension (based on retirement)  45-days prior to my 3rd week in February-2023 permission to stay expiring.

So likely I will show up at immigration on the 1st working day of the new year (2023) and apply then for a 1-year permission to stay based on retirement.

I had planned to leave Thailand for two weeks in mid-February-2023 for a ski trip (with an appropriate re-entry permit on my permission to stay) but based on reading this thread (and based on the Immigration recommendation to show up 45-days prior to permission to stay expiring) I can see there is a risk I might not have my extension before I had planned to leave Thailand.  I may need to cancel my mid-Feb-2023 flights leaving Thailand at the last minute.

I don't have an issue with the money in the bank, as I have had the 800K THB in a fixed account for some years in Thailand, so if that was the cause for the OP, then hopefully this won't be the case for me . (but I suspect that is not the cause)  ....

I might also < unsure > in a few days apply for an LTR Visa (Wealthy Pensioner) in parallel, although that's a topic for a different thread.

Edited by oldcpu

2 hours ago, oldcpu said:

I need to apply for my 1-year extension on my permission to stay, with an underlying type-O visa, in January next year, and I hope I don't have your (the Original Poster's) problem.  

I also deliberately invalidated my previous type-OA visa's permission to stay earlier this year (2022), by leaving Thailand without a re-entry permit, and when I returned in October this year (45-days visa exempt), I applied for a 90-day Type-O visa (which takes me to the 3rd week in February-2023). 

In this case, my permission to stay on the 45-days Visa exempt expired 3rd week in November-2022 and I didn't get my 90-day type-O until early December-2022 (which was backdated to when my 45-day visa exempt expired in 3rd week of Nov-2022). Immigration actually held my passport for the last two weeks (after my permission to stay expired), which was a bit unnerving. But in the end I did get my passport back with the 90-day visa stamped inside.

My plan now is to apply for a 1-year extension based on retirement early next year.

The immigration official when giving me my passport back, with the 90-day type-O Visa and associated permission to stay stamped in the passport, recommended I apply for my 1-year extension (based on retirement)  45-days prior to my 3rd week in February-2023 permission to stay expiring.

So likely I will show up at immigration on the 1st working day of the new year (2023) and apply then for a 1-year permission to stay based on retirement.

I had planned to leave Thailand for two weeks in mid-February-2023 for a ski trip (with an appropriate re-entry permit on my permission to stay) but based on reading this thread (and based on the Immigration recommendation to show up 45-days prior to permission to stay expiring) I can see there is a risk I might not have my extension before I had planned to leave Thailand.  I may need to cancel my mid-Feb-2023 flights leaving Thailand at the last minute.

I don't have an issue with the money in the bank, as I have had the 800K THB in a fixed account for some years in Thailand, so if that was the cause for the OP, then hopefully this won't be the case for me . (but I suspect that is not the cause)  ....

I might also < unsure > in a few days apply for an LTR Visa (Wealthy Pensioner) in parallel, although that's a topic for a different thread.

@oldcpu

It was also stated by my IO that I could return to apply for the retirement extension up to 45 days before 0 visa expires, I chose to go 30 days .

In this thread I was unfortunate on both accounts and hopefully you might not be faced with either.

After replies to this thread I have deduced that:

1) The required 12 month statement was incorrect although I should have visited the IO beforehand to get the full requirements.

I was unfortunate that my IO requested this and also that my bank ( Bangkok Bank ) are the only bank who require some days to get the 12 month statement, if i banked with another I could have popped out and got one same day.

2) The home visit requirement, although now seems to be common among new O visas ( as reported by Faz ) should have been done on application for O visa and not application for extension. You are past this stage so unlikely it will happen to you.

In short @oldcpu it sounds like you have already had your share of bad luck and possibly arriving 45 days before you can process your extension and still go skiing 😊

1 hour ago, DwizzleyMatthews said:

@oldcpu

2) The home visit requirement, although now seems to be common among new O visas ( as reported by Faz ) should have been done on application for O visa and not application for extension. You are past this stage so unlikely it will happen to you.

Back a couple of years, when I was on a Type-OA visa, when I went for my first one year extension for reason of retirement, I was asked to provide a hand drawn map as to where I lived.  I had previously thought that such a hand drawn map was ONLY for an extension for reason of marriage, but I was still asked for it even thou I was looking for a 'retirement' extension.  The IO said they would phone and arrange a visit. They phoned once (my wife and I were out of town and we told them when we would return, so they could phone again). They never phoned a second time.

A year later, my being annoyed with having to purchase double health insurance (to obtain an extension on a Type-OA visa for reason of retirement) I went for a 1-year extension for reason of 'marriage' (where marriage extension has no such health insurance requirement from a Thai branch of a health insurance company).  Again, the map was required, and I was told they would phone to make an appointment to visit myself and my wife at our condo. They never did phone.

Back in mid-October this year, when (on on a 45-day Visa exempt) I applied for a 90-day type-O Visa, I was not asked for a map, but I was asked to exchange contact with immigration on the Line Social Media on my Android phone (which I did). They asked that I then start a video chat with them at a certain time two days later, while I was at my place of Thai residence, which I did.  They had me walk outside my condo unit door, and do a selfie with the video chat.  Next they had me walk to the condominium complex entrance where there was a street sign indicating the condominium, and again do a 'selfie' with the video chat (and again I did that).  That was sufficient for their 'home visit' requirement.   

26 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

Back a couple of years, when I was on a Type-OA visa, when I went for my first one year extension for reason of retirement, I was asked to provide a hand drawn map as to where I lived.  I had previously thought that such a hand drawn map was ONLY for an extension for reason of marriage, but I was still asked for it even thou I was looking for a 'retirement' extension.  The IO said they would phone and arrange a visit. They phoned once (my wife and I were out of town and we told them when we would return, so they could phone again). They never phoned a second time.

A year later, my being annoyed with having to purchase double health insurance (to obtain an extension on a Type-OA visa for reason of retirement) I went for a 1-year extension for reason of 'marriage' (where marriage extension has no such health insurance requirement from a Thai branch of a health insurance company).  Again, the map was required, and I was told they would phone to make an appointment to visit myself and my wife at our condo. They never did phone.

Back in mid-October this year, when (on on a 45-day Visa exempt) I applied for a 90-day type-O Visa, I was not asked for a map, but I was asked to exchange contact with immigration on the Line Social Media on my Android phone (which I did). They asked that I then start a video chat with them at a certain time two days later, while I was at my place of Thai residence, which I did.  They had me walk outside my condo unit door, and do a selfie with the video chat.  Next they had me walk to the condominium complex entrance where there was a street sign indicating the condominium, and again do a 'selfie' with the video chat (and again I did that).  That was sufficient for their 'home visit' requirement.   

Okay, seems like you had the home visit already, the video call is a good alternative, presumably you don’t live near Immigration and the IO’s didn’t want to travel.

Incidentally, when I did my first extension from my OA issued 2016 i had a home visit and every subsequent extension was asked to provide a home drawn map, all my extensions have been based on retirement.

It’s probably pointless trying to guess what surprises are in store at our relative immigration offices as the rules seem to be quite flexible.

I was particularly annoyed with my home visit this time, not because of the actual visit itself which was quick and painless but they had given me an under consideration stamp ( quite a rarity for retirement extension ) and could only return to immigration for the extension stamp on Dec 13th one day before my O visa expired but around 2 weeks after my home visit. Seemed to be an unnecessary stressful period…… at least for me ☹️

But thankfully it is done now and I have to return in mid February for my first 90 days report to be done in person before I can go back to online reporting.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2022 at 5:08 PM, Chaimai said:

I think for most people that might be the case.  My wife, however, is in the local Immigration office quite regularly, as she is the legal liaison for an international school and handles all the foreign teachers' paperwork.  As such, she is friendly with every IO and I generally get preferential treatment when renewing my permit to stay (NonImmO spouse).  I show up for my picture.  They do everything else.  The IO even reminds my wife ahead of time about my financial proof requirements.

I've had two IO visits, one when I first extended and my renewal last year.  This last time, the wife wasn't home, but the IO got signatures from a couple of neighbors who attested to the fact that I was, in fact, domiciled in my home.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2022 at 12:12 PM, oldcpu said:

I successfully obtained a 1-year extension on my permission to stay in Thailand on a Type-O visa, earlier this week (based on 'retirement').  

1-January-2023 was exactly 45-days before my permission to stay in Thailand (on my 90-day Type-O visa permission to stay) was to expire.  1-January is also obviously a holiday.  

Yesterday (3-January-2023) was the 1st day in the new year, in which the bank I wanted to use (Krungsri bank) opened in the New Year, where I had 800K THB deposited since July-2022.

So I showed up at the bank at 08:30am on 3-January, and within 10 minutes I had proof of my having the money in the bank .. ie (1) bank letter certifying I had the 800K THB in the bank, (2) bank certified printouts of my Krungsri account going back to July (ok more than I needed, but it was easy to do this), and (3) updated my bank book.

I then proceeded to Phuket immigration (10 minute car drive from the bank) with photocopies of all the needed paperwork, including:

- photocopies of various pages from my Passport

- passport sized photo

- hand drawn map to my condo where I live (Phuket immigration like to have this)

- pictures of me standing by door # to my condo, and also standing by condo complex sign

- copy of deed to my condo (which I own) plus copy of relevant pages from my 'yellow book' Tabien Baan (indicating my residency )

- above noted proof of my having 800K THB in a Thai bank for a number of months prior to my applying for the 1-year extension 

I was fortunate that Immigration was not crowded.  I was able to see an IO within 10 minutes, and within an hour I was on my way back home, while Immigration kept my passport overnight, with instructions that I was to return in the afternoon the next day to pick up my passport.

So I showed up the next day in the afternoon, and picked up my passport which has a stamped permission to stay for me until mid-February-2024.

I am relieved this went so quick.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

My first extension to stay for renewal is coming up (Jomtien Immigrtion) and I have a few questions for those that have done it. Mostly around the bank stuff.

Firstly whats the earliest I can apply, I would like to get it done and dusted. Is it 30 days or 45days?

1) If I have the passbook updated for the last 12 months and a deposit certificate, do I also need 12 months of certified bank statements? (I am using the 800,000B option).

2) If I need 12 months of certified statements does anyone know if Bangkok Bank need a lead time to do these?

3) Does all this have to be done on the same day as going to immigration? Can I do my bank stuff the day before, or are they strict on the dates being exact?

Thanks

• Like 1

On 8/29/2023 at 2:21 PM, Nightflame said:

My first extension to stay for renewal is coming up (Jomtien Immigrtion) and I have a few questions for those that have done it. Mostly around the bank stuff.

Firstly whats the earliest I can apply, I would like to get it done and dusted. Is it 30 days or 45days?

1) If I have the passbook updated for the last 12 months and a deposit certificate, do I also need 12 months of certified bank statements? (I am using the 800,000B option).

2) If I need 12 months of certified statements does anyone know if Bangkok Bank need a lead time to do these?

3) Does all this have to be done on the same day as going to immigration? Can I do my bank stuff the day before, or are they strict on the dates being exact?

Thanks

Hey @Nightflame, I've just gone though this myself - had a heap of issues, but it has taught me plenty for next time future reference.

In answer to your questions:

The earliest you can apply is 30 days before your current visa/extension of stay expires, though no less than 15 days before.

1) You don't need bank statements, though it couldn't hurt to have them as backup. For your passbook, you'll need copies of the last three months worth of entries.

2) Bangkok Bank do need some time to organise the statements. I don't recall how long but, off the top of my head, around 3-5 business days is about it. You can pick them up in-branch.

3) The banking dates do not have to be exact. They are good for up to 7 days from the date of your application. The only exception to this is, I think, the THB100 deposit to your account needs to be on the day you apply (though I could be wrong on that).

Hope that helps, and good luck! 😊

Edited by thaimekangaroodown
  • Like 1

Not exactly relevant but odd enough to mention.  I used to extend here based on marriage, changed to retirement 4 years ago and never looked back - much easier and faster. 

Got my latest 1 year extension of stay in March this year then left Thailand/flew abroad for 1 month.  While I was gone, talking to my wife every few days, she said she got a call from the local Immigration office asking questions about me and wanted to visit our house.  Wife said I wasn't in the country at the moment, be back in a few weeks, so they rang off and that was it, nothing since then/no follow up, etc.

Knew about the potential for house visits for extensions based on marriage but never heard of that for Non-O extensions based on retirement.   Maybe just a random check since I'd recently done my annual extension.  Dunno. 

On 11/29/2022 at 9:29 AM, DwizzleyMatthews said:

I see it all as immigration trying to justify their existence.

Yep!  

And that's not going to change.  All government bureaucrats, everywhere.

21 hours ago, TWS60 said:

Not exactly relevant but odd enough to mention.  I used to extend here based on marriage, changed to retirement 4 years ago and never looked back - much easier and faster. 

Got my latest 1 year extension of stay in March this year then left Thailand/flew abroad for 1 month.  While I was gone, talking to my wife every few days, she said she got a call from the local Immigration office asking questions about me and wanted to visit our house.  Wife said I wasn't in the country at the moment, be back in a few weeks, so they rang off and that was it, nothing since then/no follow up, etc.

Knew about the potential for house visits for extensions based on marriage but never heard of that for Non-O extensions based on retirement.   Maybe just a random check since I'd recently done my annual extension.  Dunno. 

Just to follow up on my extension ( retirement ) and home visit back in Nov/Dec 2022.

About 1 month ago an Immigration BMW pulled up outside the house and 2 officers got out. One was waving his arms around saying that he had called me twice and I didn’t answer, I showed him my call log showing I had received no such calls. Asked him what number they called but he didn’t want to know.
( the truth is I changed my phone number in March but have since done a 90 days in person and online stating the new number on both occasions ).

Anyway, this was a random home visit, taking the usual photos inside and outside with the house number, all quick and easy and no reason given as to why.

3 hours ago, DwizzleyMatthews said:

Just to follow up on my extension ( retirement ) and home visit back in Nov/Dec 2022.

About 1 month ago an Immigration BMW pulled up outside the house and 2 officers got out. One was waving his arms around saying that he had called me twice and I didn’t answer, I showed him my call log showing I had received no such calls. Asked him what number they called but he didn’t want to know.
( the truth is I changed my phone number in March but have since done a 90 days in person and online stating the new number on both occasions ).

Anyway, this was a random home visit, taking the usual photos inside and outside with the house number, all quick and easy and no reason given as to why.

Huh, ok, thanks for update. 👍🏽  Sounds about the same timing as my experience then.

Been here 11 years, never heard or read on-line about anyone on a retirement extension getting an in-home check by Immigration.  Why my mind was racing when they called the wife while I was out of the country - did I do something wrong, or forget to do something?     

Long thought that Immigration, if so inclined, could keep the follow-up squad busy playing Whack-a-mole with other extension categories like Education, Volunteer and Marriage.  Retirement felt plain vanilla simple to me, but surely instances of fraud exist with visa agents who provide a work-around solution for the 800k show money.

2 hours ago, TWS60 said:

Huh, ok, thanks for update. 👍🏽  Sounds about the same timing as my experience then.

Been here 11 years, never heard or read on-line about anyone on a retirement extension getting an in-home check by Immigration.  Why my mind was racing when they called the wife while I was out of the country - did I do something wrong, or forget to do something?     

Long thought that Immigration, if so inclined, could keep the follow-up squad busy playing Whack-a-mole with other extension categories like Education, Volunteer and Marriage.  Retirement felt plain vanilla simple to me, but surely instances of fraud exist with visa agents who provide a work-around solution for the 800k show money.

Yes, I way I understood it was a home visit on 1st extension ( which I had for OA visa years ago and the O visa late last year ) and that was it.

This recent visit took me by surprise.

As yourself thought that retirement extension was the least likely for a follow up visit as it has the larger financial requirement and immigration would be seeking those on a marriage extension to verify the marriage arrangement.

• Like 2

On 9/3/2023 at 9:35 AM, thaimekangaroodown said:

The earliest you can apply is 30 days before your current visa/extension of stay expires, though no less than 15 days before.

Oh, that only gives me a two week window! And as bad luck would have it I am out of the country around that time. I was hoping I could do it before.

Do you have a link to this 30/15 day requirement?

Thanks

On 11/29/2022 at 9:29 AM, DwizzleyMatthews said:

I see it all as immigration trying to justify their existence

Don't just blame Immigration - the wheels of government bureaucracy run in very different circles; very difficult to access electronic forms although copious instructions on what to do with them. Photocopies of everything and then further requirement for 'more paper'. Officialese? I can't think of anything else.

On 9/8/2023 at 8:26 AM, Nightflame said:

Oh, that only gives me a two week window! And as bad luck would have it I am out of the country around that time. I was hoping I could do it before.

Do you have a link to this 30/15 day requirement?

Thanks

Sorry no I don't.

Just based on my conversations with the Immigration officers when I've been in there.

On 11/28/2022 at 5:33 PM, DwizzleyMatthews said:

So, as the title suggests i got a couple of unwelcome surprises when I applied for the first retirement extension from my newly acquired ( Sept 16th ) Non Imm O visa.

Here I should add I was on an OA visa, and subsequent retirement extensions, since 2017, in August 2022 i visited the U.K. without a re-entry permit ( intentionally ) to return visa exempt to start afresh with an in house O visa followed by retirement extensions , and yes … to rid myself of the mandatory health insurance.

All was going well with applying for, and obtaining, the O visa valid until Dec 14th. Mid Nov i decided to apply for an extension based on retirement. Due to laziness on my part i received surprise number 1 !!

Assuming that this first extension only needs proof of 800k in the bank for 2 months I first proceeded to my BKK Bank for a 3 month statement, the bank letter and the usual bank book update etc. Upon document check in immigration i was immediately told that i needed a 12 month statement, my claims that only 2 months proof is needed and questioning how a person entering Thailand for the 1st time could do this fell upon deaf ears and knowing when I am flogging a dead horse I conceded defeat. Returning to BKK Bank to order a 12 month statement, they require 3 working days, I regretted not visiting the IO the previous day to get the requirements after all i do live local, hence my previous “ laziness “ remark.

Returned the following Mon armed with the 12 months statement and the other usual docs, this time i made it past the front desk to enter the main room and was happy to be attended straight away.

After the obligatory paper shuffling, photo taken and payment of 1,900 baht i was feeling relaxed until ……. surprise number 2 !!

The IO , with a feint hint of a smile i swear, told me that i was under consideration and would have to return on Dec 13th ( my O visa expires Dec 14th ) after a home visit by immigration staff.

Now home visits I know are not uncommon but I was surprised to see an under consideration stamp for a retirement extension.

C1F46339-B68F-492F-89DF-E3BAB7B62E38.thumb.jpeg.919673042e24a4592ae92835e48d2baf.jpeg

Surely a rarity if I’m not mistaken ??

Anyway, home visit booked for today (Tuesday ) , hope they are not expecting a smile on any of their photos ☹️

Followed by another 2 weeks before returning to see if my extension is actually granted.

Now, it has been said that the 12 months statement requirement is related to my previously unfinished extension ( Sept 2021 ) to ensure I hadn’t dropped below the 800/400k limits and I can understand that even if i don’t agree with it.

The under consideration stamp to me is just bloody mindedness, especially as if the home visit goes okay I can see no reason why i cannot obtain my extension immediately after. If they had given me the extension stamp and asked me to return after the home visit for it to be stamped/signed i would feel less aggrieved.

Any thoughts ??

One word ……. Agent

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/29/2022 at 9:53 AM, Faz said:

I may add these weren't my extension application, but those of a disabled expat that I was applying on behalf of. As @Chaimai correctly points out, it greatly depends on your own knowledge of the orders, remain calm, polite but request to see a senior IO.

Example; In 2020 I submitted an extension application on behalf of an Australian expat using the 65K per month income method. The Australian Embassy, ceasing the Income letters from Jan 2020.
At the end of December 2019 Immigration issued a new order, due to the cessation of certain Embassy Income letters, amending section 2.18 and 2.22 of the previous order 138/2557, thus allowing income to be proven by way of monthly overseas transfers to a Thai bank account. Amend 138-2557 (2014 ) clause 2.18-2.22 for Thai bank income ENG.pdf 

He originally obtained an Embassy Income letter before they ceased the service, which were valid for 6 months, but unfortunately he lost it. Therefore, in April 2020 I submitted an updated passbook, 12 month statement and standard letter.
The IO stated they only accepted Embassy Income letters as proof of income, even though he was aware the Australian Embassy had ceased the service. I politely rebutted him and stated income could now be proven by way of monthly overseas transfers to a Thai bank account and produced the above order amending order 138-2557.
He and a colleague had never seen this order and were inquisitive as to how and where I'd obtain it, and not prepared to proceed until the following day when the senior IO could be consulted.
The following day, the senior IO immediately ushered me to her office and very politely and profusely apologised for the misunderstanding, explaining she had received the email and read the amendment, but had been too busy to update her staff and wasn't expecting anyone to apply as early as April using the income in the bank method. She called in the two IO's I'd dealt with and apologised to them, as well as informing them at the same time of the additional income method.

It was smiles all round at the end, and she promised to inform the rest of her staff at a meeting the following morning. I blamed that experience on a break-down in communication, which in my experience frequently happens in Immigration (and elsewhere).

One word ……… AGENT

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/16/2022 at 5:12 AM, oldcpu said:

Again…….. AGENT

• Like 1
  • Haha 1