Strategy for multiple visits in a year?

Have been in Thailand ~5 weeks (I got a 30 day stamp on arrival in September from USA then another stamp for 45 days after a short October trip to Manila). Heading home in November soon before expiration.

Plan to visit in January again for at ~60 days (maybe shorter or longer).   Just wondering what strategy I should use for my visit[s]?

I think the 45 stamp might still be in use then but even if not, I may run to Vietnam for a weekend so suspect I get another 30 day stamp (and I can plan my  Vietnam trip toward end of the first stamp expiration).     But I plan to be back to Thailand maybe later in the Summer also, and maybe the Fall for maybe ~60 days increments (maybe some variability with the # of days).     Just wonder if I can just rely on the stamp I get  when I arrive (either 45 or 30 days), and then figure out how to get another 30 days or so (e.g., border run or flight out of country).    Unsure if any restrictions on this strategy though.    But maybe I should look at another type of Visa that doesn't impose a hassle on me?   Not yet retired (I work remote from anywhere online).

Thoughts?

From Oct 1st 2022 - Mar 31st 2023, entering Visa exempt will allow a stay of 45 days (instead of the usual 30), which can be extended for a further 30 days = 75 days.

Only 2 VE land entries permitted in a calendar year.

There is no strategy for staying long term using VE entries. At some point you're likely to be stopped and questioned or refused entry. It's at the Immigration officer's discretion to decide when he feels you're spending excess time in Thailand as a tourist using VE entries.

The METV would allow you multiple entries and to stay for up to almost 9 months with only 2 border runs.

• Like 1

Thanks. Do depending on my plans the METV may make sense and I can always later rely on the standard Visa exempt. 

So I can only extend the standard Visa exempt once for 30 more days or can i do it multiple times? - seems I can twice by land but maybe more times if I fly out/in?

21 minutes ago, Dezmo said:

Thanks. Do depending on my plans the METV may make sense and I can always later rely on the standard Visa exempt. 

So I can only extend the standard Visa exempt once for 30 more days or can i do it multiple times? - seems I can twice by land but maybe more times if I fly out/in?

Extending is something you do at a local Immigration office and you can do it ONCE, for 30 days, per visit. 

The maximum number land border visa exempt entries is deemed to be 2 p.a.  There is no official limit on the number of visa exempt entries by air - if an IO considers that you are using visa exempts to live in Thailand he may refuse entry and insist that you have the appropriate visa for your stay.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dezmo said:

You can only extend once per entry, regardless of entry by air or land.

1 hour ago, Dezmo said:

The days of staying in Thailand for a year or more as a tourist are long gone.
Most Countries have a clear written Immigration policy regarding tourists, limiting stays to 3 months in a 6-month period, or 6 months in a 12-month period.
Thailand has no such written policy regarding entering VE by air, it's at Immigrations discretion when enough is enough.

There are already reports of being stopped and questioned, entering VE for a third time in a year. Although they were permitted to enter, they were advised further such entries would not be permitted, and this was noted on their computer database.

Thanks.

Guess some inconsistency at immigration.  I arrived in September and was never asked to see an exit ticket.   3 weeks later I flew to Manila for a few days. Asia Air wanted to see an exit ticket out of the Philippines.   When arriving back to Bangkok I got the 45 day stamp and again no asked to see an exit ticket,  which I incidentally changed a few times.  I  leave however back to usa a week before expiration.   When I visited last November I was never asked to see an exit ticket either but understand I should have one.

31 minutes ago, Dezmo said:

Guess some inconsistency at immigration.  I arrived in September and was never asked to see an exit ticket.   3 weeks later I flew to Manila for a few days. Asia Air wanted to see an exit ticket out of the Philippines.   When arriving back to Bangkok I got the 45 day stamp and again no asked to see an exit ticket,  which I incidentally changed a few times.  I  leave however back to usa a week before expiration.   When I visited last November I was never asked to see an exit ticket either but understand I should have one.

It's not Immigration that request proof of a ticket out, it's the airline at the departure point when entering VE,
If refused entry, they don't want to be responsible for returning you FOC.

1 hour ago, Faz said:

It's not Immigration that request proof of a ticket out, it's the airline at the departure point when entering VE,
If refused entry, they don't want to be responsible for returning you FOC.

Ah.ok

Interesting.  I flew in to bkk with United Air via partner and they never asked.  Likewise flying in from Manila on another airline.

Last November round trip on American via partner and they never asked too.  But maybe they had a record.

If i get this right will i get a 45 days visa when i fly in to Bkk from Sweden March 15th 2023 ?

Howcome they change that and when did they change it from the 30 days that has always been normal ,

i tried check the Thai embassy page in Sweden but nothing about this there :( 

1 hour ago, Slacker77 said:

If i get this right will i get a 45 days visa when i fly in to Bkk from Sweden March 15th 2023 ?

Howcome they change that and when did they change it from the 30 days that has always been normal ,

i tried check the Thai embassy page in Sweden but nothing about this there :( 

To boost tourism for this year 'high' season following all the previous Covid restrictions, Immigration has temporarily increased the periods you'll be permitted to stay for entries between Oct 1st 2022 - 31st Mar 2023 if entering Visa exempt or VOA.
The usual 30 days granted entering visa exempt has been increased to 45 days, and for those granted 15 days entering VOA it's been increased to 30 days.

It will revert to the usual 30 and 15 days on April 1st 2023.

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply Faz,

Yea i was thinking abit like that ,,they want more and more tourist now after these 2 bad years that have been with all s**t 

Sounds very good then i can stay little longer this time and maybe get my condo finished some day :)

4 hours ago, Slacker77 said:

Sounds very good then i can stay little longer this time and maybe get my condo finished some day :)

You can also extend that 45 day entry for a further 30 days = 75 days.

• 1 month later...

DIdn't see is answered anywhere but can one get a retirement visa while meeting age requirements but still working or will Thai gov want to tax the person wages (i.e., employed in USA but can work remote)?

Is there another visa that would be easier to enter multiple times a year (when working)?

I heard from a friend that there seems to be all types of visa lengths.... seems it may change frequently too...

29 minutes ago, Dezmo said:

Is there another visa that would be easier to enter multiple times a year (when working)?

Just keep quiet about working remotely online.

The most common visa types are explained here;
https://talk.thethaiger.com/topic/1649-common-visa-types-explained/#comment-5560

For multiple entries other than the options already explained, the Non Imm O multiple entry or the Non Imm O-A visa may better suit your situation. The Non Imm O-A is available online via the e-visa application site and grants stays of 1 year on each entry, but is subject to a mandatory Health Insurance requirement.
https://thaiembdc.org/2020/11/17/oalongstay/ 

The Non Imm O ME isn't available at Thai Embassies using the online e-visa system, but still available at the Thai Embassy/Consulate in Savannahket and (perhaps) Malaysia, though proof of the equivalent of 800K THB will be requested.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Faz said:

https://talk.thethaiger.com/topic/1649-common-visa-types-explained/#comment-5560

For multiple entries other than the options already explained, the Non Imm O multiple entry or the Non Imm O-A visa may better suit your situation. The Non Imm O-A is available online via the e-visa application site and grants stays of 1 year on each entry, but is subject to a mandatory Health Insurance requirement.

The Non Imm O ME isn't available at Thai Embassies using the online e-visa system, but still available at the Thai Embassy/Consulate in Savannahket and (perhaps) Malaysia, though proof of the equivalent of 800K THB will be requested.

I assume that the retirement visa at Savannakhet is single entry and only the marriage visa is ME?

1 hour ago, Chaimai said:

I assume that the retirement visa at Savannakhet is single entry and only the marriage visa is ME?

No, both are available as multiple entries.

Under 'types of visas' they only list the Non O as a single entry for both retirement and Thai spouse, but under 'Visa fees' the multiple entry is listed, and they confirmed by phone recently both types are available as ME. The difference being no financial requirement based on Thai spouse, whereas proof of 800K THB or equivalent required for retirement purposes. The fee is the same for both, 5,000 BHT.

https://savannakhet.thaiembassy.org/th/publicservice/non-immigrant-visa-o-visiting-family-member-of-a-thai-nationality-a-sp?page=5d84a44c15e39c26b400453e&menu=5d84a44c15e39c26b4004569

https://savannakhet.thaiembassy.org/th/publicservice/non-immigrant-visa-o-visa-retirement-in-thailand?page=5d84a44c15e39c26b400453e&menu=5d84a44c15e39c26b4004569

https://savannakhet.thaiembassy.org/th/page/visa-fee?menu=5d84a44c15e39c26b400456a

Penang also used to issue the Non Imm O ME based on retirement.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Faz said:

No, both are available as multiple entries.

Under 'types of visas' they only list the Non O as a single entry for both retirement and Thai spouse, but under 'Visa fees' the multiple entry is listed, and they confirmed by phone recently both types are available as ME. The difference being no financial requirement based on Thai spouse, whereas proof of 800K THB or equivalent required for retirement purposes. The fee is the same for both, 5,000 BHT.

https://savannakhet.thaiembassy.org/th/publicservice/non-immigrant-visa-o-visiting-family-member-of-a-thai-nationality-a-sp?page=5d84a44c15e39c26b400453e&menu=5d84a44c15e39c26b4004569

https://savannakhet.thaiembassy.org/th/publicservice/non-immigrant-visa-o-visa-retirement-in-thailand?page=5d84a44c15e39c26b400453e&menu=5d84a44c15e39c26b4004569

https://savannakhet.thaiembassy.org/th/page/visa-fee?menu=5d84a44c15e39c26b400456a

Penang also used to issue the Non Imm O ME based on retirement.

Thank you.

You learn something new every day 🙂.... I had obviously only focused on the 'types of visa' .

I used to enjoy my ME based on retirement when you used get it back from Hull in 2 days. Exiting Thailand every was not an issue then as I took the opportunity to travel around Asia. I don't travel as much these days but I am sure I could make a 12m ME work. 

Not having to deal with Thai Immigration sounds appealing 🙂

7 minutes ago, Chaimai said:

I used to enjoy my ME based on retirement when you used get it back from Hull in 2 days. Exiting Thailand every was not an issue then as I took the opportunity to travel around Asia. I don't travel as much these days but I am sure I could make a 12m ME work. 

Those were the days, at least you dealt with a human face to face. 😁

10 hours ago, Faz said:

Seems the Non Imm O-A requires money in a bank there (not abig deal) but monthly income. If not yet retired I show my paycheck and they know I working...would they challenge me and want to tax me?

Seems the other (Non Imm O multiple entry ) may be better.. 1 year... 90 days at a time (can border run too)...

This year I may just use the standard stamp and maybe a border run (flight) to renew if needed on a few of my trips... plan 3 trips this year....

Thanks

Edited by Dezmo

9 minutes ago, Dezmo said:

Seems the Non Imm O-A requires money in a bank there (not abig deal) but monthly income. If not yet retired I show my paycheck and they know I working...would they challenge me and want to tax me?

No, the Non Imm O-A visa only requires proof of funds in your US account, not a Thai bank account.
You're only dealing with Thai Immigration would be to submit 90-day reports only if you stayed longer than 90 consecutive days on any visit.

Each entry grants a stay of 1 year for the 1-year validity of the visa, subject to the validity of your Health Insurance.

If you entered just before the validity of the visa expiration (1 year) and subject to proof of 12 month Health Insurance, you'd be granted a stay of 1 year again (2 years in effect). You could purchase a multiple entry permit, which would grant you unlimited entries for that second year, before applying for a new Non Imm O-A visa.

28 minutes ago, Dezmo said:

This year I may just use the standard stamp and maybe a border run (flight) to renew if needed on a few of my trips... plan 3 trips this year....

How long do you intend to stay on each trip?

@Dezmo

An example of how the Non Imm O-A visa works in practical terms.

How the Non Immigrant O-A Visa works in practice.

Note that the period of visa validity is different from the period of stay.

Visa validity is the period during which a visa can be used to enter Thailand. The validity of a visa is granted with discretion by the Royal Thai Embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General and is displayed on the visa sticker.

The period of stay is granted by an immigration officer upon arrival at the port of entry and in accordance with the type of visa. The period of stay granted by the immigration officer is displayed on the arrival stamp.

A multi entry Non Imm O-A Visa. (Long stay). Valid 1 year. It can be issued to those who are over +50 who intend to remain in Thailand for long periods. This Visa allows unlimited 1 year entries before the ‘enter before’ date of the Visa, at which point this Visa is ‘used’.

If you leave and re-enter just before the ‘enter before’ date of this Visa type you are granted another 1 year permission to stay. You will however require a re-entry permit if you intend to leave and re-enter Thailand during this 2nd year permission of stay period.

This is because when the Visa expires on the ‘enter before’ date, so does the ME facility which is only valid for the duration of the Visas validity (1 year)

If used correctly, you can stay in Thailand for almost 24 months with this Visa type.

If the Visa was issued 1st July 2022, it would be valid until 30th June 2023. You enter Thailand 10th July 2022, you'll be granted a permission of stay (POS) until 9th July 2023*.

You exit Thailand in Sept and re-enter Oct 4th 2022.

On entry you'll be granted POS until Oct 3rd 2023*. (1 year).

You exit Thailand again in Feb 2023 and re-enter March18th 2023.

On entry you'll be granted POS until March 17th 2024*. (1 year)

To take full advantage of the Visas potential, do a border run and re-enter on June 29th 2023, the day before the Visa expiry date.

On entry you'll be granted POS until June 28th 2024*.(1 year).

However because the validity of Visa has now expired, so has the multi entry facility attached to the Visa. If you want to exit and re-enter between the June 29th 2023 and June 28th 2024*, you can protect this period of stay by purchasing a re-entry permit, 1000 baht single entry, 3,800 baht multi entry.

If you exit and re-enter anytime now during the period June 29th 2023 and June 28th 2024, on each entry you'll be granted permission of stay until June 28th 2024*.

From the above example you can clearly see how you can stay for almost 2 years before either applying for a new Non Imm O-A Visa, or apply to extend your stay at a local Immigration office. (Financials apply)

*Subject to the mandatory Health Insurance policy validity date. (see below).

A mandatory Health Insurance policy requiring 3,000,000 THB ($100,000) cover is required for the Non Imm O-A Visa application. The permission of stay granted is impacted by the expiry date of the Insurance policy.

Any permission of stay granted on entry will be limited to the expiry date of the Insurance policy. You should therefore consider a 2 year Health Insurance policy so as not to affect the multiple entries.

11 hours ago, Faz said:

How long do you intend to stay on each trip?

Arrive Jan 8 and stay to Mar 3 but will run a weekend to Vietnam so get new 30 day stamp.  Maybe back in  June (30 days or so), and back September for at least 60 days... maybe longer.. so may either need a few border runs or use your suggestion.

10 hours ago, Faz said:

@Dezmo

An example of how the Non Imm O-A visa works in practical terms.

How the Non Immigrant O-A Visa works in practice.

Note that the period of visa validity is different from the period of stay.

Visa validity is the period during which a visa can be used to enter Thailand. The validity of a visa is granted with discretion by the Royal Thai Embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General and is displayed on the visa sticker.

The period of stay is granted by an immigration officer upon arrival at the port of entry and in accordance with the type of visa. The period of stay granted by the immigration officer is displayed on the arrival stamp.

A multi entry Non Imm O-A Visa. (Long stay). Valid 1 year. It can be issued to those who are over +50 who intend to remain in Thailand for long periods. This Visa allows unlimited 1 year entries before the ‘enter before’ date of the Visa, at which point this Visa is ‘used’.

If you leave and re-enter just before the ‘enter before’ date of this Visa type you are granted another 1 year permission to stay. You will however require a re-entry permit if you intend to leave and re-enter Thailand during this 2nd year permission of stay period.

This is because when the Visa expires on the ‘enter before’ date, so does the ME facility which is only valid for the duration of the Visas validity (1 year)

If used correctly, you can stay in Thailand for almost 24 months with this Visa type.

If the Visa was issued 1st July 2022, it would be valid until 30th June 2023. You enter Thailand 10th July 2022, you'll be granted a permission of stay (POS) until 9th July 2023*.

You exit Thailand in Sept and re-enter Oct 4th 2022.

On entry you'll be granted POS until Oct 3rd 2023*. (1 year).

You exit Thailand again in Feb 2023 and re-enter March18th 2023.

On entry you'll be granted POS until March 17th 2024*. (1 year)

To take full advantage of the Visas potential, do a border run and re-enter on June 29th 2023, the day before the Visa expiry date.

On entry you'll be granted POS until June 28th 2024*.(1 year).

However because the validity of Visa has now expired, so has the multi entry facility attached to the Visa. If you want to exit and re-enter between the June 29th 2023 and June 28th 2024*, you can protect this period of stay by purchasing a re-entry permit, 1000 baht single entry, 3,800 baht multi entry.

If you exit and re-enter anytime now during the period June 29th 2023 and June 28th 2024, on each entry you'll be granted permission of stay until June 28th 2024*.

From the above example you can clearly see how you can stay for almost 2 years before either applying for a new Non Imm O-A Visa, or apply to extend your stay at a local Immigration office. (Financials apply)

*Subject to the mandatory Health Insurance policy validity date. (see below).

A mandatory Health Insurance policy requiring 3,000,000 THB ($100,000) cover is required for the Non Imm O-A Visa application. The permission of stay granted is impacted by the expiry date of the Insurance policy.

Any permission of stay granted on entry will be limited to the expiry date of the Insurance policy. You should therefore consider a 2 year Health Insurance policy so as not to affect the multiple entries.

Wow... have to read that a few times but Thanks!   And after 24 months I suspect I can start all over?  

I'll have to check costs too.. may be worth it if I dont leverage the border runs later (as they can be a hassle unless I want to visit another country, etc.)