Strategy for multiple visits in a year?

16 minutes ago, Dezmo said:

Wow... have to read that a few times but Thanks!   And after 24 months I suspect I can start all over? 

Yes you can.

17 minutes ago, Dezmo said:

I'll have to check costs too.. may be worth it if I dont leverage the border runs later (as they can be a hassle unless I want to visit another country, etc.)

You'd only have the cost of visas to other Countries, not for rentering Thailand.

26 minutes ago, Dezmo said:

Arrive Jan 8 and stay to Mar 3 but will run a weekend to Vietnam so get new 30 day stamp.  Maybe back in  June (30 days or so), and back September for at least 60 days... maybe longer.. so may either need a few border runs or use your suggestion.

For entries up to Mar 31st, you'll be granted a stay of 45 days.

June, VE entry + 30 day extension.

Sept, TV + 30 day extension.

9 hours ago, Faz said:

Yes you can.

You'd only have the cost of visas to other Countries, not for rentering Thailand.

Thanks... I meant the cost of the Non Imm O-A  :)

9 hours ago, Faz said:

For entries up to Mar 31st, you'll be granted a stay of 45 days.

June, VE entry + 30 day extension.

Sept, TV + 30 day extension.

For my 3rd trip wouldn't I just get the standard VE (stamp) although I understand the officer could reject me.

You note the TV (tourist visa?) and assume that is something i would have to get ahead of time.... which could be ok as my 3rd trip maybe for at least 60 days...

8 hours ago, Dezmo said:

Thanks... I meant the cost of the Non Imm O-A  :)

You have to way up the inconvenience and cost against the inconvenience and cost of travel and visas to enter other Countries to get further VE entries.
Only 2 VE entries per year permitted at land border crossings.

8 hours ago, Dezmo said:

For my 3rd trip wouldn't I just get the standard VE (stamp) although I understand the officer could reject me.

You note the TV (tourist visa?) and assume that is something i would have to get ahead of time.... which could be ok as my 3rd trip maybe for at least 60 days...

You stated for at least 60 days or more.
A VE would grant you 30 days + a 30-day extension = 60 days.
You'd need to do a border run to get another VE entry for more than 60 days.

Most Countries have a policy allowing a maximum stay of either 90 days in 6 months, or 6 months in a year as a Tourist. Thailand has no such written policy, it's at the IO's discretion.
The more VE entries, especially back to back, the more likely you're going to be pulled to one side and refused entry or told to get the correct visa.

For a stay of 60+ days, the correct visa is a Tourist visa + 30 day extension if required.
You can purchase a re-entry permit to protect your period of stay from the TV should you wish to visit another Country and re-enter.

4 hours ago, Faz said:

You have to way up the inconvenience and cost against the inconvenience and cost of travel and visas to enter other Countries to get further VE entries.
Only 2 VE entries per year permitted at land border crossings.

Agree.. and thanks again.. I do want to check out other countries so sometimes may fly out/in.   I guess a land crossing is different than air crossing :)

Just to chime in Dezmo.

I went to Thailand in Dec 21 on a VE for 2 weeks from UK. Feb 22 for 2 weeks on a VE from UK.

I then went to Thailand in Jul 22 on a TR and extended for the 90 days total. Flew to Vietnam for 10 days and came back to Thailand for the 45 day VE, and it was at this point that I was questioned by immigration. "Am I working?, Why am I here again?" etc. So you may want to prep for that.

I had to explain I was here to train Muay Thai, showed them some vids of me training. I was advised to look into another Visa but given my stamp.

Planning to spend as much time as I can in Thailand next year myself starting with a TR around Feb. 

4 hours ago, Sharp_Elbow said:

Just to chime in Dezmo.

I went to Thailand in Dec 21 on a VE for 2 weeks from UK. Feb 22 for 2 weeks on a VE from UK.

I then went to Thailand in Jul 22 on a TR and extended for the 90 days total. Flew to Vietnam for 10 days and came back to Thailand for the 45 day VE, and it was at this point that I was questioned by immigration. "Am I working?, Why am I here again?" etc. So you may want to prep for that.

I had to explain I was here to train Muay Thai, showed them some vids of me training. I was advised to look into another Visa but given my stamp.

Planning to spend as much time as I can in Thailand next year myself starting with a TR around Feb. 

Thanks... I can work remote (my job) but have a friend I visit there too... wonder if the latter is acceptable :)

Figure they want to money we bring in :)   But seems I have many options listed here.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I am new so I can't start a topic yet, my question is related to this topic.

I am on my second 90 day SETV(finally learned that means single entry tourist visa).

Just got the 30 day extension valid until November 23, so I will have been in the country about 176 days this year. I was in Laos for 4 days to get my second tourist visa.

My paperwork for non-B visa and work permit to work as a teacher may not be completed in the time left on my visa.

If it isn't complete will I be able to leave Thailand briefly and return on a visa exempt entry (I have a USA passport)?

I have seen people have written that you can explain your circumstance to the IO (immigration officer), but others have told me not to mention anything about a job when entering on visa exempt.

I don't want to get stuck outside of the country and jeopardize my job offer.

ok, so after all that, the question is

After two consecutive 90 day SETVs will I be able to leave Thailand for a short time (2 or 3) days and return with a visa exempt entry?

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

The new regulation that its being imposed is that you can enter 2 times on visa exemption in 1 calendar year over land and over air. Before this was slightly different and over land only. Now, what I am going to tell you actually goes for all entries to Thailand as a tourist. Immigration officers have complete discretion over who enters Thailand. Even if you have a valid visa, you are not guaranteed entry. 

When you enter Thailand as a tourist, if the officer does not believe you are a legitimate tourist, he will question you. Whether or not you are over your allowed entries as a tourist or not. Therefore, if you are stopped and questioned, there are things you can prepare to minimize your risks of being refused entry. The first one is to be able to show proof of a return flight or onward flight. The second thing is to be able to prove you have travel funds. Carry 20,000 Baht or equivalent in foreign currency for this. Next, be able to show proof of accommodation. Finally, if you do visa runs and border runs, you can lower your risk if you enter often as a tourist by using border runs agents or visa run agents. They make prior arrangements with the land border immigration to allow their customers to enter. 

Now, how will you know if you will be stopped and questioned? You won't. Immigration may stop you and question you for one or more of the following reasons:

1. Your travel history into Thailand.

2. Your appearance 

3. your age 

4. Your nationality 

5. If they are in a bad mood that day 

You will never know. Therefore, use these tips. Some guys enter as a tourist more than the allowable times and immigration never says a word. Others often get questioned. 

Finally, consider signing up for Thai Legal Protection. Learn more at:www.thailegalprotection.com or watch this video: 

• Like 1

On 10/24/2023 at 1:46 PM, rkhguy said:

I am new so I can't start a topic yet, my question is related to this topic.

I am on my second 90 day SETV(finally learned that means single entry tourist visa).

Just got the 30 day extension valid until November 23, so I will have been in the country about 176 days this year. I was in Laos for 4 days to get my second tourist visa.

My paperwork for non-B visa and work permit to work as a teacher may not be completed in the time left on my visa.

If it isn't complete will I be able to leave Thailand briefly and return on a visa exempt entry (I have a USA passport)?

I have seen people have written that you can explain your circumstance to the IO (immigration officer), but others have told me not to mention anything about a job when entering on visa exempt.

I don't want to get stuck outside of the country and jeopardize my job offer.

ok, so after all that, the question is

After two consecutive 90 day SETVs will I be able to leave Thailand for a short time (2 or 3) days and return with a visa exempt entry?

Thanks.

Look at the above post by me.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

For this straggles discussed here, read this post and understand that what is being said in this thread is not 100% accurate. if you are using the visa exemption scheme to stay long term in Thailand, read this post as below.