News Forum - Porsche-driving Frenchmen who put Thai man in a coma denied bail

Thaiger

UPDATE The Porsche-driving Frenchmen who gave a Thai man a brain hemorrhage in Koh Samui, Surat Thani province, southern Thailand, have been denied bail. Officers from Borphut Police Station arrested 34 year old Vincent Raymond Bugeya and 28 year old Julien Gerard Rene Vincent under suspicion of “joint assault causing serious harm” as well as “driving a car with a red-registration plate at night” according to the Motor Vehicle Act (1979). Both men are currently detained at Koh Samui District Prison and will face trial at Koh Samui Provincial Court. As of this morning, 43 year old Somkuan is still in […]

The story Porsche-driving Frenchmen who put Thai man in a coma denied bail as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

I believe that there will be some additional facts if we hear from the accused. I expect the part about the  motorbike closely tailing the vehicle has some more detail.

Edited by Vigo
  • Like 4

What is the justification for not driving a car with a red registration plate at night? 

If you legally purchased the car and registered it with the motor vehicle department what difference does it make if you drive the car daytime or nighttime.

The same goes for retail stores not selling alcohol between 14:00 - 17:00?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nivram said:

If you legally purchased the car and registered it with the motor vehicle department what difference does it make if you drive the car daytime or nighttime.

If you're driving on red plates, then the owner hasn't registered the car.

The reasons for restrictions driving on red plates here;
https://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opinion/1336019/red-licence-plates-drive-us-to-distraction

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Nivram said:

What is the justification for not driving a car with a red registration plate at night? 

As @Faz stated, it’s because the owner hasn’t registered the car or the registration process isn’t fully complete. It still doesn’t answer why you can drive an unregistered car during the day but not at night? 

Now of course, that begs the more obvious question of how the feck can you be allowed to drive an unregistered vehicle away from the garage in the first place. 

Then there is the secondary issue that the red plates now become a status symbol. It tells all other road users to look at you. You are rich enough to have just bought this brand new car. I know many Thais who take their time about processing all the documentation and going to pick up their new boring white plates. I’m often surprised that they don’t have quick release plates so you can drive with red ones during the day, and pop in white ones at night. Hey, maybe I’m on to a money maker here….

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Soidog said:

As @Faz stated, it’s because the owner hasn’t registered the car or the registration process isn’t fully complete. It still doesn’t answer why you can drive an unregistered car during the day but not at night? 

Now of course, that begs the more obvious question of how the feck can you be allowed to drive an unregistered vehicle away from the garage in the first place. 

Then there is the secondary issue that the red plates now become a status symbol. It tells all other road users to look at you. You are rich enough to have just bought this brand new car. I know many Thais who take their time about processing all the documentation and going to pick up their new boring white plates. I’m often surprised that they don’t have quick release plates so you can drive with red ones during the day, and pop in white ones at night. Hey, maybe I’m on to a money maker here….

Seen new Izuzi pickup red plate on front old plate on back, so maybe you have competitors already.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Soidog said:

It still doesn’t answer why you can drive an unregistered car during the day but not at night? 

You can drive it at night, with special permission for each trip, and you're only supposed to drive it within the Province where it was purchased. I can only assume the law is designed to make it inconvenient to drive wherever, whenever you want until such time as it's properly registered.

The link I gave stated some owners purchasing a new car near the end of a year, don't tend to register until the following year, therefore obtaining a higher valuation on resale.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Faz said:

You can drive it at night, with special permission for each trip, and you're only supposed to drive it within the Province where it was purchased. I can only assume the law is designed to make it inconvenient to drive wherever, whenever you want until such time as it's properly registered.

The link I gave stated some owners purchasing a new car near the end of a year, don't tend to register until the following year, therefore obtaining a higher valuation on resale.

It would be interesting to know if any other countries have such rules. I’m always keen to try to understand “The logic” of other cultures. You can learn a lot.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, palooka said:

Seen new Izuzi pickup red plate on front old plate on back, so maybe you have competitors already.

That just means it was in a bank job 😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Soidog said:

It would be interesting to know if any other countries have such rules. I’m always keen to try to understand “The logic” of other cultures. You can learn a lot.  

I think elsewhere it's called a trade plate? For example the sales person might personally drive the new vehicle from the factory back to the showroom for delivery to the customer and since the actual plate isn't ready yet they will need to use this trade plate:

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/registration/number-plates/more-number-plates/trade-plates-for-vehicles

Of course the problem in Thailand is that this system is being abused

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Noble_Design said:

I think elsewhere it's called a trade plate? For example the sales person might personally drive the new vehicle from the factory back to the showroom for delivery to the customer and since the actual plate isn't ready yet they will need to use this trade plate:

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/registration/number-plates/more-number-plates/trade-plates-for-vehicles

Yes, trade plates are used in the U.K. by garages to allow customers to test drive cars and sometimes for delivery. However, I’m not aware of any other country where the genuine owner of a vehicle buys a car a drives off with temporary plates for many weeks, if not months. Why can’t the garage arrange for the plates to be on the car before the owner turns up and take its home?  

Anyway. Way off topic so apologies…

3 hours ago, Noble_Design said:

Local Pooyai Bahn drove on red plates for over a year to save tax.  When you get notification that your car can be registered in your Province etc you pay tax, but there is no requirement that you must take this up in a required time.

Also your car is then deemed to be of that year that the tax is first paid.  Don't pay 2022 pay 2023 and you have a 2023 car.  So a bit of a shonky win/win by not paying. 

Maybe why you see late model year cars advertised with higher than average mileage. (eg 120,000kms on a 2 year old car)

You are also required to maintain a log book on red plates if you travel a certain distance from your vehicles notified abode.

• Like 1

It seems to me the type of car and plate are largely irrelevant as this was seemingly not a a road traffic collision but rather a brutal physical assault.

I bought a new Toyota in Phuket in 2004 (I still have it as still only 50k kms on the clock) and drove it with red plates as I was told the process takes a few weeks to get "real plates", so I drove mine around Phuket for that period at any time of the day as it seemed to be normal to me as I saw hundreds of other cars with red plates.

I was not aware of the night time rule, the cops did not seem to be worried about it as I drove though police check points on the island. 

It was fully insured right from the start and the insurance company did not seem to mind it was on red plates, I just updated the insurance once I had the 'real' plates a few month later.

15 hours ago, ShibaBud said:

Investigation into Frenchies' business will be highly revealing. It will explain their sources of income and the new porsche at a young age.

Don't be  impressed by anyone driving "expensive" vehicles.  Most of the vehicles are leased or "rented" .  It's no different than the rappers one sees in  the USA and France driving expensive vehicles and wearing expensive bling. The vehicles are leased, and the attire is rented. It's all for show to scream out look at me , I am wealthy and to attract "clients".

8 hours ago, Soidog said:

Yes, trade plates are used in the U.K. by garages to allow customers to test drive cars and sometimes for delivery. However, I’m not aware of any other country where the genuine owner of a vehicle buys a car a drives off with temporary plates for many weeks, if not months. Why can’t the garage arrange for the plates to be on the car before the owner turns up and take its home?  

Anyway. Way off topic so apologies…

In Canada, you get your plates at the Insurance company, I was a bit surprised when the lady whipped out 5 plates to choose from

Very simple process, much easier than doing it in the US

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Vigo said:

Don't be  impressed by anyone driving "expensive" vehicles.  Most of the vehicles are leased or "rented" .  It's no different than the rappers one sees in  the USA and France driving expensive vehicles and wearing expensive bling. The vehicles are leased, and the attire is rented. It's all for show to scream out look at me , I am wealthy and to attract "clients".

Still would be pretty damn expensive to rent a Porsche in Thailand!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Still would be pretty damn expensive to rent a Porsche in Thailand!

Depends on what you define as expensive. There are people who will rent their sports cars for as low as 5,000 baht per diem.  There are a few websites that offer for 7000-10,000 baht.  I loved this one;

Luxury Car Rental As Part Of Your Package

You can also combine your car rental with other services we offer, such as party models, VIP nightclub bookings, or luxury villas.  Show up in style at the best places in town, behind the wheel of a sports car and with a stunning Thai model by your side.

I have seen these spectacles and have been reduced to tears laughing at some of the participants. Pre covid they would feature a few man bun, sockless loafer wearers guys with tight pastel coloured pants that were too short, women with inflated bosom and wearing much too much cosmetic and a few scurrying kowtowing  actors.