News Forum - CNN to be prosecuted for invasive daycare massacre coverage

Thaiger

Thai police are preparing to prosecute reporters from the American news channel CNN for their invasive coverage of the Nong Bua daycare centre massacre. Authorities claim that they climbed over police tape in and out of the site of the massacre that took the life of 38 people – 24 of them young children – and filmed video inside. They say that evidence was tainted in the process. Controversial Police Lieutenant General Surachate, “Big Joke” Hakparn announced plans to pursue legal action against the 24-hour news network for interfering with the evidence in the massacre case. Interfering with government or […]

The story CNN to be prosecuted for invasive daycare massacre coverage as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Do you think the threat of prosecution matters to these bottom-feeders? As long as they get their story they could not give a flying fat fig about sensibilities or regulations. For mine, I hope that the charges are processed and that the obvious 'apology money' by CNN is REJECTED and these mongrels find out how delicious fish head soup is behind bars for a while. On completion of a generous stay, deport and ban them from re-entry.

• Like 4

I understand that they have to gather evidence for any crime but they have no to prosecute so how can they really damage any evbut agree with the bottom feeders quote for overseas reporters.

• Like 2

Unacceptable behaviour for sure. But a fraction compared to some of the pictures circulating on Thai social media taken by first responders. 

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Unacceptable behaviour for sure. But a fraction compared to some of the pictures circulating on Thai social media taken by first responders. 

As is the case with each and every gory accident scene in the Kingdom. Privacy does not exist.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Fanta said:

So where were the police tasked with protecting the crime scene?

Lunch break. Or called away to do their standard patrol... sorry, the drugs are stuffing up my rationality

• Haha 1

CNN conducting themselves with a lack of Journalistic Integrity well I never not exactly a surprise. 

<deleted content>

Disgusting behaviour from the gutter press as if the tragedy wasn't bad enough for these Children and innocent people. 

Edited by BigHewer
Comment on moderation removed
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Incredibly insensitive but not surprising. One only has to watch the shoot promos of high profile CNN personalities to understand their agenda. Coached interviews, staged moments etc. Unwatchable IMO

Let’s hope they get what they deserve.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

What do you expect from a news network that sends its reporters out into the middle of a hurricane tens of thousands of people were evacuated from, just to tell us the wind is blowing really hard?

• Like 3

Why on earth did they allow a US government media corporation on their soil in the first place? The US corporate media, CNN especially, should be barred from even entering any country outside of the US. Stuff those two in prison for 36 months. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Fanta said:

So where were the police tasked with protecting the crime scene?

No kidding, someone should've informed them that rodents from CNN were spotted in the area. They may have behaved differently. 

• Like 1

Looks like a first time shooting happened at a daycare center similiar to many school shootings in America... Is this becoming an international trend? Such a pity..And they are also good at reporting such incidents well with experience over time

EVIDENCE !   What more friggen evidence do you need ? It was pretty clear who did what,  to whom,    and with what resources.     .

• Like 2

Good, if proven to be true the "reporters" should be persecuted. I hope however that the same rules will apply to all, foreign and local. It certainly shows a lack of respect for the victims and the severity of the situation. CNN has a bad reputation for biased and unprofessional reporting anyway.

• Like 1

I watched the  coverage on CNN International. It was  respectful and restrained.CNN was less invasive than the  large number of Thais who were taking pictures on their mobile phones.   This has more to do with the sending a message to a news organization that is critical of the military regime, than a violation of restricted space. 

22 hours ago, Viggen840 said:

Do you think the threat of prosecution matters to these bottom-feeders? As long as they get their story they could not give a flying fat fig about sensibilities or regulations. For mine, I hope that the charges are processed and that the obvious 'apology money' by CNN is REJECTED and these mongrels find out how delicious fish head soup is behind bars for a while. On completion of a generous stay, deport and ban them from re-entry.

Bottom feeder? Did you see any of the CNNi reports? They were sober and quite restrained.  The job was to report an event and CNNi did it. There was no bias. Why then would you describe the reporters as "bottom feeders". How would you have covered the  news event otherwise?

20 hours ago, BillO said:

Unprofessional and without ethics defines CNN as a network to any American. 

What exactly was unethical about the CNN reporting? Did you see any of the CNNi coverage? Are you aware that the police investigation cleared CNNi and confirmed that" the journalists believed they had obtained permission to enter and film after being waved into the building by a volunteer or a health officer and were unaware the person was not authorised to allow them inside".

4 hours ago, Bill_Koomers said:

Why on earth did they allow a US government media corporation on their soil in the first place? The US corporate media, CNN especially, should be barred from even entering any country outside of the US. Stuff those two in prison for 36 months. 

What are you on about? Since when is CNNi a "Us Government media Corporation"? Even VOA  is independent from the US government. Why should the reporters be put in prison for 3 years, more time than  many Thai violent criminals spend in prison, including corrupt police and parents who abuse their children. The investigation cleared the CNN reporters of  wrongdoing in respect to the allegation of entering a closed area. Their fault was reporting while on tourist visas and not media visas.  Thailand has been quite slow in granting media visas to media from western democracies.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Donald said:

Good, if proven to be true the "reporters" should be persecuted. I hope however that the same rules will apply to all, foreign and local. It certainly shows a lack of respect for the victims and the severity of the situation. CNN has a bad reputation for biased and unprofessional reporting anyway.

Where have you been for the past day? there is no need to "persecute" independent media, who made a possible  error through no fault of their own.  In case you missed it;

"Thai authorities cleared them of wrongdoing for entering the day care center ......, saying they had filmed inside believing they had obtained permission. Deputy national police chief Surachate Hakparn said the journalists had been waved into the building by a volunteer or a health officer, but did not know the person was not authorized to allow them inside."

https://www.voanews.com/a/cnn-crew-fined-leaving-thailand-in-day-care-attack-coverage/6782317.html

The allegations came because a Thai  posted a picture of a CNN freelancer climbing over a small wall. The photo was taken out of context and misconstrued. CNN has stated that " the crew had entered the premises when the police cordon had been removed from the center, and were told by three public health officials exiting the building that they could film inside. “The team gathered footage inside the center for around 15 minutes, then left. During this time, the cordon had been set back in place, so the team needed to climb over the fence at the center to leave".

If and when any of the haters of CNN here are ever accused of  "wrongdoing" based upon flimsy evidence, I hope they are never treated with as much anger and disregard for due process as they have shown here.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Manu said:

Mainstream media American style. I found it amazing that some people out there watch this type of crap in order to be informed.

So you didn't see any of the CNNi reports. I did.  How else do you expect people to be informed of events in Thailand? Considering the bias shown by ruling class media owners. and lack of news media independence in Thailand, what option do you propose for reputable and reliable reporting? Tim Newton isn't available for on the spot reporting.

• Like 2

If you look at the pictures of the 2 x Activist (I mean reporter's) from CNN the more Eagle eyed OP's will notice the exact reason why the pair of them had such lack of empathy for these murdered Children. 

• Confused 2

41 minutes ago, 23RD said:

If you look at the pictures of the 2 x Activist (I mean reporter's) from CNN the more Eagle eyed OP's will notice the exact reason why the pair of them had such lack of empathy for these murdered Children. 

Do tell. Australian reporter Anna Coren and British cameraman Daniel Hodge (the 2 in question), where... 

2 minutes ago, Cabra said:

Do tell. Australian reporter Anna Coren and British cameraman Daniel Hodge (the 2 in question), where... 

Like I said Cabra a picture paints a thousand words don't tell me you haven't spotted the obvious?.