News Forum - Controversial British street artist Banksy in Bangkok

Thaiger

An art exhibition by the controversial British street artist Banksy is coming to the Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA) in Bangkok next month. Under the banner of The Art of Banksy: Without Limits, the exhibit will display over 150 works by the anarchic graffiti artist on October 26 until the end of the year. The exhibit will showcase a number of authentic pieces, including photographs, prints, sculptures, and multimedia expositions using video mapping modes. Banksy’s artwork takes a number of forms. It is satirical, subversive, and political, which manages to combine a distinctive stencilling technique with black humour, and biting […]

The story Controversial Britist street artist Banksy in Bangkok as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

I am really happy to hear that the show is coming to Bangkok, and I hope it inspires a whole new generation of Thai artists in the capital and beyond; I love the few graffiti pieces by locals we have seen in Bangkok in the last few years as they delivered a clear and simple statement with no ambiguity or faff. 

"Banksy once characterised graffiti as a form of underclass “revenge,” or guerrilla warfare that allows an individual to snatch away power, territory and glory from a bigger and better-equipped enemy."

I think Thailand would be an excellent place for this kind of political statement; Prayut, Prawit and the like simply can't handle being mocked or losing Face, and one of the best ways to undercut people like that is simply to laugh at them.

Go Banksy!

😎

• Like 2