News Forum - Chiang Rai runway closed after Nok Air plane skids off runway

Thaiger

In Chiang Rai, a Nok Air flight slid off the runway while landing due to heavy rains that resulted in a slippery ground conditions. The accident took place last night, as a landing Boeing 737-800 skidded off the runway at Mae Fah Luang International Airport in the northern province. No one was injured in the crash, but it did force the cancellation of flights and the closure of the runway today. The plane had departed Don Mueang International Airport, Bangkok’s secondary airport where budget airlines like Nok Air operate, at 8:03 pm for an hour-long flight to Chiang Rai, landing […]

The story Chiang Rai runway closed after Nok Air plane skids off runway as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

There are rumors going around that the passengers were kept on the aircraft for hours after the mishap, that apparently collapsed the landing gear when the aircraft dug into soft ground. Can you confirm these rumors? #Allegedly

10 hours ago, HansCS said:

There are rumors going around that the passengers were kept on the aircraft for hours after the mishap, that apparently collapsed the landing gear when the aircraft dug into soft ground. Can you confirm these rumors? #Allegedly

There are not only rumours but many falsehoods circulating although poor translations may have caused some of the most outrageous reports. 

EG: the incident (known as a runway excursion in aviation speak) supposedly occurred during  taxiing to the terminal.  The pilot parked the plane safely (haha) a d all pax were taken to the terminal for refreshments.

In my opinion the B373 was bogged deep in mud with collapsed nose gear after a failed landing which should have been aborted or go around attempted. 

Multi million baht runway excursions such as this usually occur in severe weather conditions wherein a beyond threshold landing provides insufficient stopping distance and panic braking causes the plane to acquaplane.   Correct use of reverse thrusters and rudder/steering with minimal braking is essential on a wet runway.

Pax reported little or nothing in the way of refreshments and I imagine it took well over an hour to deplane them across makeshift walkways, then many hours before baggage could be retrieved.

4 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

There are not only rumours but many falsehoods circulating although poor translations may have caused some of the most outrageous reports. 

EG: the incident (known as a runway excursion in aviation speak) supposedly occurred during  taxiing to the terminal.  The pilot parked the plane safely (haha) a d all pax were taken to the terminal for refreshments.

In my opinion the B373 was bogged deep in mud with collapsed nose gear after a failed landing which should have been aborted or go around attempted. 

Multi million baht runway excursions such as this usually occur in severe weather conditions wherein a beyond threshold landing provides insufficient stopping distance and panic braking causes the plane to acquaplane.   Correct use of reverse thrusters and rudder/steering with minimal braking is essential on a wet runway.

Pax reported little or nothing in the way of refreshments and I imagine it took well over an hour to deplane them across makeshift walkways, then many hours before baggage could be retrieved.

Kaptain, I believe it's called 'Runway Incursion' in aviation speak.

1 hour ago, Havana said:

Kaptain, I believe it's called 'Runway Incursion' in aviation speak.

Close, but no cigar.  An 'incursion' might imply improper landing or parking ON or across the runway, of any type of vehicle.  Car, drone or otherwise.

• Thanks 1

I wonder what happens to other flights or people get their money returned in these days, either way seems I do not have to go to the airport here anytime soon

25 minutes ago, ronnie666 said:

I wonder what happens to other flights or people get their money returned in these days, either way seems I do not have to go to the airport here anytime soon

Flight insurance perhaps?

Why were the passengers retained in the cabin for approximately an hour after the incident occurred? Why wasn't an immediate emergency passenger evacuation initiated? What were reported weather conditions at the time of landing verses the required weather minima for this night approach and landing?