Best Airports In The World For 2022

KaptainRob

Doha Airport - Qatar

spacer.png

South-east Asia didn't get a look in unless you count Hong Kong at #20 and Australia was way down the list at #22 with Brisbane scoring well.

The Best Airport In The World – Top 20 [2022]

1. Hamad International Airport (Qatar)
  2. Tokyo Haneda International Airport (Japan)
  3. Singapore Changi Airport (Singapore)
  4. Tokyo Narita Airport (Japan)
  5. Incheon International Airport (South Korea)
  6. Paries Charles de Gaulle Airport (Paris)
  7. Munich Airport (Germany)
  8. Istanbul Airport (Turkey)
  9. Zurich Airport (Switzerland)
  10. Kansai International Airport (Japan)
  11. Helsinki-Vantaa (Finland)
  12. Centrair Nagoya (Japan)
  13. London Heathrow (United Kingdom)
  14. Dubai International Airport (UAE)
  15. Amsterdam Schiphol (Netherlands)
  16. Madrid Barajas (Spain)
  17. Copenhagen Airport (Denmark)
  18. Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport (China)
  19. Vienna International Airport (Austria)
  20. Hong Kong International Airport (Hong Kong)

Source: https://www.bosshunting.com.au/travel/fly/best-airport-in-the-world/

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

1 hour ago, Fanta said:

Cool. That’s a bucket list in the making. 

I know at least one Member who never want's to see Doha Airport again but  it sure looks good!

Changi is absolutely massive and the indoor forest is a must-see but you almost need a tour guide to find your way around.   I've yet to eat in the Hawker Food-court although It is by far the best and cheapest outlet in Changi, comparable to the domestic food-court at Suvarnabhumi.

• Like 1

I love these best in the world lists, or rather I love scrutinizing their criteria and finding out how they ended up with what they had.

In this case, from the source article:

“SkyTrax’s methodology in putting together the World’s Best Airports list is vague at best, but it’s reported the firm use unbiased data sourced from a number of surveys with all submission voluntary. “ - That clears everything up then 😂

As soon as I see Narita at #4, I realise the list is meaningless for me, because it’s clear that the list makers do not consider factors that I think are important.

I might make my own “Best Airports” list, based on my own favorite criteria. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, BigHewer said:

As soon as I see Narita at #4, I realise the list is meaningless for me, because it’s clear that the list makers do not consider factors that I think are important.

How would you rate Narita and why?

I think you might agree BNE deserves top spot in Oz for it's accessibility by road or rail and simple yet open layout.  Service has always been good at Brisbane and weather seldom causes delays.

5 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

I think you might agree BNE deserves top spot in Oz for it's accessibility by road or rail and simple yet open layout.  Service has always been good at Brisbane and weather seldom causes delays.

Very good question. I spent an enjoyable hour coming up with my own “Best Airports” list. My 7 criteria were: 

Wifi reliability 

Food and beverage availability 

Time and distance from disembarkation to exiting customs

Distance to the city 

Availability of transport

Seating, waiting, entertainment pre-flight

Smoking opportunities

3 points for great, 2 points for so so, 1 point for rubbish. Now, I’ve only been to 12 international airports in the last 5 years, so a limited pool.

Singapore Changi #1, Hong Kong #2. Canberra in last place, Brisbane second last. 

🤨😳🤔

My criteria must be flawed because Canberra and Brisbane are decent airports in my opinion 😎

6 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

Smoking opportunities

3 points for great, 2 points for so so, 1 point for rubbish. Now, I’ve only been to 12 international airports in the last 5 years, so a limited pool.

Singapore Changi #1, Hong Kong #2. Canberra in last place, Brisbane second last. 

🤨😳🤔

My criteria must be flawed because Canberra and Brisbane are decent airports in my opinion

Yes, flawed.  You've gotta give up smoking! 🥵

Compared with Syd/Mel/Ool, Brisbane is very good, never been to Canberra.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KaptainRob said:

Yes, flawed.  You've gotta give up smoking! 🥵

Compared with Syd/Mel/Ool, Brisbane is very good, never been to Canberra.

Ok, fair enough. I took out the smoking criteria and rechecked the scores 😎

Changi still #1. Hong Kong now #3. Brisbane moves up to 10th. Canberra still last.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd like to see the new Istanbul airport, the old one was shite, but Turkish Airlines are a good carrier and I'd use them again thru to Europe.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

I avoid using Narita as much as I can. 

1. I believe passengers should not have to walk any more than a kilometer to immigration after disembarking. 

2. Very far from the city. More than an hour and a half by train or $200 by taxi.

3. Very boring line up of shops and restaurants for such a big airport and city.

Brisbane is okay, better than Sydney. 

Cairns is my favorite Aussie airport to arrive at because you can be sitting in a taxi 15 minutes after you land and then a short ride to the city. 

12 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

Cairns is my favorite Aussie airport to arrive at because you can be sitting in a taxi 15 minutes after you land and then a short ride to the city. 

Barely rates on the International scale though I agree it's a nice little airport in a beaut region. 

Re BNE, every single time I have arrived, which is many, I've been out and on my by car or train within 30 mins of landing.  Processing is very efficient.

Departure is almost as easy though LCCarriers check-ins are usually manned by very efficient dnata* staff who go by the book on baggage weights.  There are a few tricks to get around it like wearing heavy jackets/jeans and slightly overloading hand baggage.  A big smile helps too.

*dnata is owned by Emirates.

• Like 1

Not surprised Helsinki is in there - went through there late last year for the first time, and it was like I was the first passenger ever, the cleanest place I've ever seen, great lounges and some of the best airport food you could hope for. I didn't want to get the connecting flight.

I would say its the best I've ever seen.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Benroon said:

Not surprised Helsinki is in there - went through there late last year for the first time, and it was like I was the first passenger ever, the cleanest place I've ever seen, great lounges and some of the best airport food you could hope for. I didn't want to get the connecting flight.

I would say its the best I've ever seen.

Interesting, you've caused me to take a look at Finnair routes and they have a vast network in Europe and across to South East Asia.  I daresay the BKK to LHR or MAN route is popular and perhaps shorter duration than via Dubai/Doha.  All Airbus fleet too!

• Like 1

On 6/25/2022 at 7:17 PM, BigHewer said:

I love these best in the world lists, or rather I love scrutinizing their criteria and finding out how they ended up with what they had.

In this case, from the source article:

“SkyTrax’s methodology in putting together the World’s Best Airports list is vague at best, but it’s reported the firm use unbiased data sourced from a number of surveys with all submission voluntary. “ - That clears everything up then 😂

I wouldn't rate either Japanese airport up there

I guess Haneda for ease to get into Tokyo, but the airport itself isn't anything special

For me, it is ease of getting in and out, transportion options

Vancouver doesn't have great dining options but it so easy to navigate

In and out super fast, rental car is less than 50 metres from arrival hall

Train into city same distance from rental car

3 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Vancouver doesn't have great dining options but it so easy to navigate

In and out super fast, rental car is less than 50 metres from arrival hall

Train into city same distance from rental car

I’ve been through Vancouver three or four times, last time about 15 years ago, a bit of a while ago, but I do remember it being a pretty smooth process. 

I did all my traveling in North America in the 90s and 00s. I don’t recall any truly awful airports, except maybe Detroit.

Turkey's airport is awesome... The screening is much like everywhere else but its a beautiful airport to have a layover in....

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BigHewer said:

I’ve been through Vancouver three or four times, last time about 15 years ago, a bit of a while ago, but I do remember it being a pretty smooth process. 

I did all my traveling in North America in the 90s and 00s. I don’t recall any truly awful airports, except maybe Detroit.

Oh, there is a lot of shitty airports

Newark is horrendous, was just there last week

I believe Detroit is brand new now, I never been............a ton of Asian flights leave from Detroit

9 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I believe Detroit is brand new now, I never been............a ton of Asian flights leave from Detroit

I’ve only been through Detroit once, back in 2001. Absolute chaos, third world stuff. Good to hear they’ve made some changes. 

23 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

I’ve only been through Detroit once, back in 2001. Absolute chaos, third world stuff. Good to hear they’ve made some changes. 

This is Newark, that area is for 3 gates............it is tiny, with constant yelling over the loud speaker

https://fastly.4sqi.net/img/general/600x600/412595_j3EfaEe9qisMxi0Ijx0gCql0htASR1dCuiUQr5COucc.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, HiuMak said:

One thing in common with these top 20 airports, which I have been to quite a few. SIZE

Yes. It does give an advantage in the overall awards if you have high passenger flow. More people to vote! But if you do it badly, then equally more people to knock your score down.

Changi is my favourite from the ones I have visited, but do think it has suffered by the way it handled transit passengers during the pandemic, locking them away in smaller areas. Did not create a good impression.

Was pleased to see Brisbane again acknowledged. Noticed the Pullman Hotel at the airport was also awarded!

Just flew LHR to BKK via DXB. My brother had to pay £5 just to drop me off, and it's even more to pick someone up.

Any other on this list have similar charges

8 hours ago, WilliamG said:

Just flew LHR to BKK via DXB. My brother had to pay £5 just to drop me off, and it's even more to pick someone up.

Any other on this list have similar charges

Yes this is a scam all UK airports are onto - Luton started it years ago! 

What other business charges you to bring your business to them - just a piss take.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Benroon said:

Yes this is a scam all UK airports are onto - Luton started it years ago! 

What other business charges you to bring your business to them - just a piss take.

It's the same worldwide though UK seems way over the top and captive patrons have little choice.

LHR @ A$9 is double that of SYD @ $4.75, (I believe).   I'm sure there are worse airport scams but it's the way of the world now ... dog eat dog 🥵