News Forum - Airlines raise concerns over Thailand’s 300-baht tourism fee, coming in Q3

Thaiger

Thailand’s tourism ministry has confirmed the proposed 300-baht tourism fee looks set to be implemented from the third quarter of 2022. Ministry official Mongkon Wimonrat says the fee will be collected via a Thailand Tourism Fee system, which airlines will be required to adopt. He says the system will integrate with airlines’ websites and display an additional screen where passengers will be required to pay the fee. Once the fee is paid, the TTF system triggers 30-day insurance coverage for overseas visitors on arrival in Thailand. The Bangkok Post reports that some passengers will be exempt from the fee, including […]

The story Airlines raise concerns over Thailand’s 300-baht tourism fee, coming in Q3 as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

The Bangkok Post reports that some passengers will be exempt from the fee

Mongkon said carriers will be required to screen tourists and ensure the fee is paid before tickets are issued

And NOW it gets complicated! My advice would be: Just do it like with the 700 baht departure "fine", put it on in the ticket price, as a tax or such and get over with. In 1 year no one is talking about it any longer. Just trying HERE now to be p.c., creates real trouble: Counter staff: You did not pay, why?" Passenger: "I have a work permit / work for my embassy and have health insurance" makes it more difficult as necessary.  Aside: Every Thai national (UCH) then don't need to pay, right? Did I miss them in the list of exempt people?

• Like 1

This is an over complication the  easiest way is the add the tax to the cost of the return ticket every tourist is required to have upon entry into Thailand.

• Like 2

As usual the shitball "officials" are exempt.

If I was a tourist, I'd try several other places that offer everything Thailand does. Sun Food, Nature, and even sex. For the same or less. 

• Haha 1

Once the fee is paid, the TTF system triggers 30 day insurance coverage for overseas visitors on arrival in Thailand. 

Then it should be goodbye to the Thailand Pass requirement of $10,000 insurance. 

Also they get you on visa extensions every 30 days (or ? part there of).

Just don't have an accident or get covid and go to hospital they may just shrug their shoulders and go into hysterics when you say you have Govt Insurance for your stay.  🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dialemco said:

This is an over complication the  easiest way is the add the tax to the cost of the return ticket every tourist is required to have upon entry into Thailand.

This what they are saying here, they want the airlines to manage it on their ticketing systems and collect the money for them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dialemco said:

Not everyone has to have a return ticket 

• Like 2

A typical case of the tail trying to wag the dog.

Thailand needs the airlines, more than the airlines need Thailand. IMO the airlines will just say no. or just add it to the ticket price and it’s paid by all over the age of 2.

Once again, Thailand is demonstrating yet another reason why potential investors will decide to invest elsewhere.

• Like 2

Government wants the airlines to handle it. Excellent. Just be prepared to wait for a very long time for payment if any issues arise, just like flights refunds!🥱

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Smithydog said:

Government wants the airlines to handle it. Excellent. Just be prepared to wait for a very long time for payment if any issues arise, just like flights refunds!🥱

You see, that would not be a problem, if anyone, at least arriving with a plane, would just have to pay 300 baht with the ticket. (Like the 700 , which is unknowingly to many, for over 15 years now in the outbound ticket price)

So hospitals would just need to check in passport, if land or Airlort arrival, and done. 

Because it would be a "general health insurance" for people arriving by plane. This way now it gets complicated at the departure airports, assumingly/perhaps at the arrival airports (all without buying for several reasons), in the hospitals, .....

• Like 1

Whatever they are smoking, I want some. Collecting a tax that everyone  pays, easy - collecting a tax that some people do and some people don't pay, probably based on  a set of rules so arcane that even the people that wrote them don't understand them, not so easy.

• Like 3

Ha ha Thailand strikes again. Their government  webshites don't work, their apps don't work..... I can see this new system taking down all the airlines systems as it tries, in vain, to integrate.

And they want the airlines to rewrite their systems by autumn? 

Increase the 700 baht exit tax to 1000 and job is done. 1 line of code to do that.

• Like 4

Homeless people here in America stand in front of stores, on the streets and in other public places asking for change. What’s the difference between them and a Thai official standing at the airport with a sign around there neck asking for 300 baht for me to visit there country.  Oh I’m sorry there going to have the airlines do it 🤣  A fine line here between 300 Baht for insurance that I will never use and begging for money…..of course I’ll pay it just feels good voicing my opinion.

Thank You

Marvin

• Like 2

On 4/29/2022 at 11:16 AM, Guest1 said:

Aside: Every Thai national (UCH) then don't need to pay, right? Did I miss them in the list of exempt people?

And just to throw a spanner in the works: What about Thais entering the country using a foreign passport, but have forgotten their ID card? 🤣

• Like 1

Can’t see it ever being implemented. Firstly a very large percentage of tickets are not booked through airline websites. Instead they’re booked on sites like Lastminute, Opodo, Expedia and many others.  Secondly, you have about 15 minutes to book and pay for a ticket once you see it advertised or risk the price changing or having to start again. But the airline has to register a payment of 300 baht foreign currency equivalent first (and that will change daily according to the exchange rate) or accepting some kind of exemption. Thirdly, judging by the exemptions list which includes foreign nationals with work permits, presumably Thai nationals won’t have to pay either. So let’s say I book three return tickets from Bangkok to Singapore on Traveloka or Airpaz, one for my friend and one each for myself and my wife. My friend and I are both foreign nationals but he doesn’t have to pay the TTF fee because he has a Thai work permit.  I have an annual retirement visa so I’m not a Thai tourist but I’ll still have to pay. My wife won’t  have to pay because she’s a Thai national. How do I sort THAT out on the booking form? 

Edited by Leeshard
  • Like 4

On 4/29/2022 at 11:02 AM, Grumpish said:

Whatever they are smoking, I want some. Collecting a tax that everyone  pays, easy - collecting a tax that some people do and some people don't pay, probably based on  a set of rules so arcane that even the people that wrote them don't understand them, not so easy.

Every government in the world has built loopholes into their tax systems.

Good. Compulsory insurance taken care of and the total ticket price will include the 300 baht. Airlines problem is not my problem. 

12 hours ago, Grumpyoldman said:

Ha ha Thailand strikes again. Their government  webshites don't work, their apps don't work..... I can see this new system taking down all the airlines systems as it tries, in vain, to integrate.

And they want the airlines to rewrite their systems by autumn? 

Increase the 700 baht exit tax to 1000 and job is done. 1 line of code to do that.

Not even one line of code, just change the literal value of 700 to 1000, I could do it for them for a small fee.😀

One step forward and two steps backward.  The PM said a while ago that Thailand only wants QUALITY tourists/retirees, subtext, wealthy. China makes it tough for  their citizens to exit. Thailand makes it tough for folks to enter.  Oh, well, wonder how empty the streets will still be in 10 years.  Is curious tho...

So, how would you actually access this magical insurance once here?  Say, after a motorbike accident, or broken arm? Probably excluded for all non covid...??

Once again Thailand marches to the tune of their own insane drummer. ‘Hey everyone, Covid and our heavy handed approach to Covid has really destroyed our economy and the lives of millions of our people. Let’s create a barrier to entry and call it Thailand Pass. What do you say?’ ‘What? Some people are still trying to come to Thailand anyway? Let’s create a 300 baht ‘tourist fee’ and make the airlines implement it. We’ll make the tourists pay for the tourism infrastructure that makes them want to come here. It’ll also include 30 days of insurance but they’ll still need Covid insurance so we’ll double dip!’ ‘And we’ll make the expats pay for it to because why not’.