News Forum - Thai government unleashes the fear machine for Songkran – OPINION

Thaiger

Today a popular English-language news outlet led with a story that quotes Dr Suwannachai Wattanayingcharoenchai, DG of the Department of Health, who claims the public health ministry is forecasting daily Covid infections could hit 100,000 after Songkran this year. The Thai public health ministry, headed up by Minister and deputy PM, Anutin Charnvirakul, has taken a random stab in the dark and is stirring a climate of uncertainty and fear as Thais prepare for their biggest celebration, the Thai New Year, or Songkran. Each year Thais head out of the city, or away from their week jobs, back home to […]

The story Thai government unleashes the fear machine for Songkran – OPINION as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

My thoughts exactly Tim. 
Most countries have had to ‘mentally change gears’ in their think moving forward toward s pandemic status. 
The Thailand government seems to struggle to do this. 

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, craig_the_SLP said:

My thoughts exactly Tim. 
Most countries have had to ‘mentally change gears’ in their think moving forward toward s pandemic status. 
The Thailand government seems to struggle to do this. 

Well if you think about it

A lot of countries just really shifted their stance after this last wave

Which in North America was Dec/January 

Thailand is still in/getting out of that wave now

So if they relax restrictions in the next couple months, which it looks like they are doing

They are pretty much inline with a lot of course timelines

Thai Thai public is very concerned even without this article. Covid is increasing in the countryside. I don't  know how I'll people there are but it's talked about a lot . The general population where I'm at doesn't want restrictions dropped until things get better.

• Like 1

Yes, the government is rolling out the 'Fear Machine', but did anyone expect otherwise? Did anyone expect it to implement a subtle, nuanced policy with clear outcomes that threads the proverbial needle with deftness and aplomb?

I think many have been looking at the current government incorrectly. We (I include myself) have commented and questioned with an underlying assumption that there was competence there (there must be, right?), but that we just weren't seeing it. However, what if we were wrong? What if these guys are just plain not competent?

"The government and provincial officials have also added more complexity for 2022 by cancelling, not cancelling, Songkran celebrations. In an infographic last weekend the government’s public relations department published that both “water splashing” was permitted and, a few sentences later, that “water splashing” is not permitted (it certainly wasn’t clear).

The to-and-from between ministers, pissed off business owners and tourism authorities has just added to the confusion in recent weeks. The end result is that, less than three weeks out from Songkran 2022, no one is exactly sure what they can do to participate in the annual ‘water’ festival."

The quote above is emblematic; there are several different potential policy proposals embedded within two short paragraphs, but none are actually decided, publicized and/or widely-known. Does this strike you as competent? A government led by people who know what they are doing? A decisive position taken with the Thai public's health priorities in mind? Or, any other priorities in mind?

Or, does it represent a government that does not have a plan and does not know what it is doing? Worse, is it a case where the government is determined to 'Do Something' so that political opponents can't claim that it is 'Doing Nothing', but in doing so making things worse?

Looking back on the last eight years or so, can anyone point to a signature policy which improved the Kingdom or Thai people's lives? Can anyone discern an underlying ideology which governs governmental action (other than higher military budgets)? Can anyone outline an interlocking set of ideas running through its actions?

I can't. And, I don't think there is one.

The government is pursuing the 'Fear' strategy because it doesn't know what else to do, and believes that it must be seen to be 'Doing Something'.

It is actually that simple.

Norman Lamont, someone that I don't particularly want to quote, once said "We give the impression of being in office but not being in power..." and that sums up what we see now in the Kingdom.

Going nowhere at warp speed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shade_Wilder said:

Yes, the government is rolling out the 'Fear Machine', but did anyone expect otherwise? Did anyone expect it to implement a subtle, nuanced policy with clear outcomes that threads the proverbial needle with deftness and aplomb?

I think many have been looking at the current government incorrectly. We (I include myself) have commented and questioned with an underlying assumption that there was competence there (there must be, right?), but that we just weren't seeing it. However, what if we were wrong? What if these guys are just plain not competent?

"The government and provincial officials have also added more complexity for 2022 by cancelling, not cancelling, Songkran celebrations. In an infographic last weekend the government’s public relations department published that both “water splashing” was permitted and, a few sentences later, that “water splashing” is not permitted (it certainly wasn’t clear).

The to-and-from between ministers, pissed off business owners and tourism authorities has just added to the confusion in recent weeks. The end result is that, less than three weeks out from Songkran 2022, no one is exactly sure what they can do to participate in the annual ‘water’ festival."

The quote above is emblematic; there are several different potential policy proposals embedded within two short paragraphs, but none are actually decided, publicized and/or widely-known. Does this strike you as competent? A government led by people who know what they are doing? A decisive position taken with the Thai public's health priorities in mind? Or, any other priorities in mind?

Or, does it represent a government that does not have a plan and does not know what it is doing? Worse, is it a case where the government is determined to 'Do Something' so that political opponents can't claim that it is 'Doing Nothing', but in doing so making things worse?

Looking back on the last eight years or so, can anyone point to a signature policy which improved the Kingdom or Thai people's lives? Can anyone discern an underlying ideology which governs governmental action (other than higher military budgets)? Can anyone outline an interlocking set of ideas running through its actions?

I can't. And, I don't think there is one.

The government is pursuing the 'Fear' strategy because it doesn't know what else to do, and believes that it must be seen to be 'Doing Something'.

It is actually that simple.

Norman Lamont, someone that I don't particularly want to quote, once said "We give the impression of being in office but not being in power..." and that sums up what we see now in the Kingdom.

Going nowhere at warp speed.

Absolutely spot on assessment. I have for a long time been frustrated by what this government has done and continues to do. For too long I have been giving them the benefit of the doubt. Assuming there must be a bigger picture I’m not getting. At some stage the master plan would be revealed right?

Then came Covid and their disjointed announcements and actions. The left and right hand clearly not knowing what each was doing. Then I had no choice but to conclude they are just hopeless. Incapable of developing a long term vision and strategy. Their only aim is power and as long as possible. It will be interesting to see what happens as restrictions are lifted and the totally unnecessary state of emergency ends.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Then came Covid and their disjointed announcements and actions. The left and right hand clearly not knowing what each was doing. Then I had no choice but to conclude they are just hopeless. Incapable of developing a long term vision and strategy. Their only aim is power and as long as possible. It will be interesting to see what happens as restrictions are lifted and the totally unnecessary state of emergency ends.

IMO there's a major power struggle within Govt and the opposition which has evidenced itself in many of the flip flop decisions or lack of real direction. 

One side fuels the fear machine to satisfy certain rural voters while others attempt to satisfy business and investment, and that's just in one party, the Govt's a coalition.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

IMO there's a major power struggle within Govt and the opposition which has evidenced itself in many of the flip flop decisions or lack of real direction. 

One side fuels the fear machine to satisfy certain rural voters while others attempt to satisfy business and investment, and that's just in one party, the Govt's a coalition.

No need for fear as an excuse. Decisions need to be based on facts that are taking place. It seems logical that increased traveling could cause more cases but we'll have to wait and see. We'll know after Songkran.  At least they are not give the ok for water splashing. I have no problem with water splashing but increasing personal contact and drinking is a recipe for covid increase.

7 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

Interesting though KR. You could well be right. Something is clearly wrong and I’m  loathed to simply right it off as a collective madness. That said, long before Covid there seemed to be little in the way of visionary thinking. If anything, the last 8 years of this government has set Thailand back 10-20 years. Prior to 2014 Thailand was a far more open, positive and friendlier place. Things under this Junta have simply gone on far too long now. I really hope the Thai people vote for something very different later this year or next. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Well if you think about it

A lot of countries just really shifted their stance after this last wave

Which in North America was Dec/January 

Thailand is still in/getting out of that wave now

So if they relax restrictions in the next couple months, which it looks like they are doing

They are pretty much inline with a lot of course timelines

In North America Canada had opposition to vaccine mandates by the truckers. Was this an example of how the government shifted their restrictions? Although some US red states have reduced restriction others have not.

35 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

I suspect that you are correct in stating that there is a conflict between the 'Business' side of the government and the 'Agricultural/Rural' element; it is a conflict present in many/most states globally. Further, there always will be a conflict/competition among other stakeholders as well; funding battles for government largess, infrastructure development, Tourism (yes, of course), large vs. small business, etc. etc. etc. Finally, elements of the party or parties will always vie for power and influence; who doesn't want "Their" guys to have power?

However, I think the salient point is how well a government manages those different interests and, if your assertion that it is the conflict between different actors/stakeholders is the reason for the dysfunctional government, then isn't that proof that the Government lacks competence? It's primary purpose is to manage those conflicts. And, to stay on topic, isn't the lack of message/policy/management regarding Covid and Songkran emblematic of the lack of competence?

I have started to speculate, as I have no evidence nor means of attaining any evidence, that the primary goal of the current 'public' government isn't actually to govern, but merely to block others from attaining power while unseen actors hide behind the proverbial 'Wizard's Curtain'. The Thai government is quite opaque in its decision-making processes; I wonder if the elements that we don't see are even more important than we suspected.

Too deep, Dude; time to hit the beach and ogle the hot chicks.

Ain't life grand?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

In North America Canada had opposition to vaccine mandates by the truckers. Was this an example of how the government shifted their restrictions? Although some US red states have reduced restriction others have not.

No, that was a very small ignorant minority 

Just as most of the world is lifting so is Canada

Masks aren't mandated indoor since about 2 weeks ago 

Vaccine passport for dining is lifted on April 8th

And no covid test to enter  

But for the unvaccinated they still need to take covid tests to enter and quarantine 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

time to hit the beach and ogle the hot chicks.

I agree on all points, especially your last one. 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

No, that was a very small ignorant minority 

Just as most of the world is lifting so is Canada

Masks aren't mandated indoor since about 2 weeks ago 

Vaccine passport for dining is lifted on April 8th

And no covid test to enter  

But for the unvaccinated they still need to take covid tests to enter and quarantine 

So why were the Truckers so upset about and why were they arrested? I thought they were protesting the mandates to be vaccinated. Supposedly many were but did not like the mandate.

(“The Thaiger particularly loves the barrage of reminders about 2 metre social distancing before getting on domestic flights, only to be bundled into a bus to get to a plane where you’re packed in like sardines”.)

The absurdity of it all!

especially at Thai restaurants and establishments ,sitting 1 meter away from someone ,maskless that does more talking than eating!

As if this covid moment of no social distancing is ok 555

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

Interesting though KR. You could well be right. Something is clearly wrong and I’m  loathed to simply right it off as a collective madness. That said, long before Covid there seemed to be little in the way of visionary thinking. If anything, the last 8 years of this government has set Thailand back 10-20 years. Prior to 2014 Thailand was a far more open, positive and friendlier place. Things under this Junta have simply gone on far too long now. I really hope the Thai people vote for something very different later this year or next. 

I was talking to one of my friends about this topic. For instance, compare some 7 year periods. 2008-2015 and 2015-now.  There was tremendous growth. Other than some internet related growth it’s hard to see much difference in progress from 2015 to now. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JJJ said:

I was talking to one of my friends about this topic. For instance, compare some 7 year periods. 2008-2015 and 2015-now.  There was tremendous growth. Other than some internet related growth it’s hard to see much difference in progress from 2015 to now. 

My internet service is very good. I don't  know what you are referring to. Thai specific applications have recently improved a lot. Prior to 2015 we only had DSL, which was OK but now we have high speed fiber optic cabling. 

Plenty of apps to pay bills on line too.

3 hours ago, Soidog said:

That said, long before Covid there seemed to be little in the way of visionary thinking. If anything, the last 8 years of this government has set Thailand back 10-20 years. Prior to 2014 Thailand was a far more open, positive and friendlier place. Things under this Junta have simply gone on far too long now. I really hope the Thai people vote for something very different later this year or next. 

IMO, Prayuth's 1st 4 years were difficult.  The World was in a difficult economic period, he had insurrection to cope with initially and initiated mid-level Government corruption cleansing.  He was clearly mentored by elder statesman and Privy Councillor, Prem Tinsulanonda.  

From around 2018 things stagnated or went sideways.  IMO, Prayuth's current mob has to go, but I worry as to which faction may take their place.

8 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

IMO, Prayuth's 1st 4 years were difficult.  The World was in a difficult economic period, he had insurrection to cope with initially and initiated mid-level Government corruption cleansing.  He was clearly mentored by elder statesman and Privy Councillor, Prem Tinsulanonda.  

From around 2018 things stagnated or went sideways.  IMO, Prayuth's current mob has to go, but I worry as to which faction may take their place.

If  i was interested in Australia and complained about the government, what would people say? As guests here keeping opinions to one's self would be wise. We might not like how different things affect us but it's basically the business of Thais.  If I significantly disagree I would go back to America. 

I understand their decision but will miss the festival in its previous format.

I would say my best Songkran was undoubtedly the one in 2019 when I went to the street festivities in Ubon Ratchathani with my family. We were in a ute with a big urn on the back and all the kids were spraying the water around. What struck me was that it was virtually all Thais, just enjoying themselves and the water certainly helped cool things down as it was a stinking hot day!

For about 4 blocks it was quicker to walk than drive and trucks were pushing through with bags of ice to refill the urns on the trucks. I hopped out and walked alongside for a while, but had to hop back in after a block as all the Thais set up on the side of the road kept offering and asking me to drink a cup of Johnny Walker or something similar with them! I was finding it hard to walk a straight line!

We had earlier done all the traditional rituals at the family farm and temple which were interesting to see. Kids alongside the roads from our village sprayed water on us as we passed, driving into the city from our village and the kids in the back gave it back to them. It was just a big 3 day party for everyone and a chance for all to have fun and relax. 

To me it is not just about the tourists/foreigners, although it certainly attracts them to the water gun fight of the century! Its restoration to full effect along with all the rituals would be a sign of a return to a sense of normality for us all, and based on my experiences in Ubon, for Thais especially perhaps. But I understand the reluctance with so many in such close quarters during the celebration. Let's see what they decide.

Always next year for the kids. Still have the hose and water gun here for the family. Note to oneself...secure them at an early stage!😁😁

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

If  i was interested in Australia and complained about the government, what would people say? As guests here keeping opinions to one's self would be wise. We might not like how different things affect us but it's basically the business of Thais.  If I significantly disagree I would go back to America. 

I think you are wandering off topic with reference to Australia, Fred?  I don't live there but I could have an opinion on their method of Government if it were on-topic.

This topic is based around Thai politics and opinions are welcome, that's what a forum is about.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

If in Australia, we would think you are a local Fred! Complaining about the government, pollies and policies is almost a national sport at times in the land of Oz! 😁

Personally I feel it is up to the Thais. If they want my advice directly they can ask for it. My favourite saying now is often "up to you/them" when asked. I can't vote or influence much these days with my voice except for commands over the dogs! 

If Thais want to celebrate Songkran in any manner or effect change in government it is "up to them". I'll just ride along, listen, follow their instructions and hopefully have fun for now. Far less stress.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KaptainRob said:

Well that’s often the problem. Do you settle for what you know or risk a different devil in power….