News Forum - Thai government unleashes the fear machine for Songkran – OPINION

Thaiger

54 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

If  i was interested in Australia and complained about the government, what would people say? As guests here keeping opinions to one's self would be wise. We might not like how different things affect us but it's basically the business of Thais.  If I significantly disagree I would go back to America. 

Well if you were in anAustralian themed forum you would be entitled to make comments about Australia. That’s what the forum is for. This isn’t some powder room chat about Thailand. It’s an opportunity to express opinions good and bad. Or are you advocating people only say nice supportive things about this particular dictator and his army pals? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

Well if you were in anAustralian themed forum you would be entitled to make comments about Australia. That’s what the forum is for. This isn’t some powder room chat about Thailand. It’s an opportunity to express opinions good and bad. Or are you advocating people only say nice supportive things about this particular dictator and his army pals? 

Do you know your only a guest? 

19 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Do you know your only a guest? 

No. I’m a paying customer. You invite guests. I wasn’t invited, I paid to come here as a customer.  Their business is tourism and I’m a patron of that business. If I go to a restaurant business and I have a complaint I will make it. Likewise here.

I can see why you are happy sitting in the  backwaters and pretending to be more Thai than a Thai. You are more subservient even than most Thais. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, LoongFred said:

So why were the Truckers so upset about and why were they arrested? I thought they were protesting the mandates to be vaccinated. Supposedly many were but did not like the mandate.

Well they were arrested because they occupied a city

That is illegal

They were protesting that they need to be vaccinated to come back into Canada from US 

BUT......they needed to be vaccinated to drive into the US anyways

It was a small minority of truckers 

90% are vaxxes and the Truckers Association and the Unions came our against them

• Like 2

The entire ‘Covid’ story rests on the PCR test - a method that was neither designed to be nor is a diagnostic  tool. It cannot differentiate between different viral RNA material, it will even respond positively to beer, soft drinks etc. Even the WHO last December was finally forced to admit that the PCR test can NOT differentiate between respiratory viral material, be it corona, influenza, rhino viruses etc. Medical evidence, expressed in terms of confirmed and reported influenza cases shows a staggering reduction of these - with other words - the usual winter flu cases are now conveniently declared as Covid. There is also no transparency as to the CT (cycle time) used when processing Covid swab samples nor the percentage of false positives. It is a scam 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Smithydog said:

I understand their decision but will miss the festival in its previous format.

I would say my best Songkran was undoubtedly the one in 2019 when I went to the street festivities in Ubon Ratchathani with my family. We were in a ute with a big urn on the back and all the kids were spraying the water around. What struck me was that it was virtually all Thais, just enjoying themselves and the water certainly helped cool things down as it was a stinking hot day!

For about 4 blocks it was quicker to walk than drive and trucks were pushing through with bags of ice to refill the urns on the trucks. I hopped out and walked alongside for a while, but had to hop back in after a block as all the Thais set up on the side of the road kept offering and asking me to drink a cup of Johnny Walker or something similar with them! I was finding it hard to walk a straight line!

We had earlier done all the traditional rituals at the family farm and temple which were interesting to see. Kids alongside the roads from our village sprayed water on us as we passed, driving into the city from our village and the kids in the back gave it back to them. It was just a big 3 day party for everyone and a chance for all to have fun and relax. 

To me it is not just about the tourists/foreigners, although it certainly attracts them to the water gun fight of the century! Its restoration to full effect along with all the rituals would be a sign of a return to a sense of normality for us all, and based on my experiences in Ubon, for Thais especially perhaps. But I understand the reluctance with so many in such close quarters during the celebration. Let's see what they decide.

Always next year for the kids. Still have the hose and water gun here for the family. Note to oneself...secure them at an early stage!😁😁

Mt favorite was when I took my stepson ti Silom when he was about 12 years old

It was madness and he loved it

1 hour ago, FrederikMP said:

The entire ‘Covid’ story rests on the PCR test

The flow test is the most used test, followed by a PCR test if positive.

1 hour ago, FrederikMP said:

It cannot differentiate between different viral RNA material, it will even respond positively to beer, soft drinks etc. Even the WHO last December was finally forced to admit that the PCR test can NOT differentiate between respiratory viral material, be it corona, influenza, rhino viruses etc.

Not true. Though there now are tests which can test various respiratory diagnostics with one application, PCR tests have been reliable in identifying the Corona virus since the beginning.

Where does all this misinformation originate?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LoongFred said:

My internet service is very good. I don't  know what you are referring to. Thai specific applications have recently improved a lot. Prior to 2015 we only had DSL, which was OK but now we have high speed fiber optic cabling. 

Plenty of apps to pay bills on line too.

My point is about the country’s growth as a whole but I admitted there was some internet progress (largely in line with the rest of the world). 

It seems you’re not interested in directly addressing the merits of discussion. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JJJ said:

My point is about the country’s growth as a whole but I admitted there was some internet progress (largely in line with the rest of the world). 

It seems you’re not interested in directly addressing the merits of discussion. 

No I’m afraid he isn’t interested. For some reason he sees his role to blindly promote the opposite of whatever others try to debate. I’m not sure why, maybe some form of self flagellation? 

38E1A78D-287D-4B28-82F4-F32EE39D607B.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, astro said:

The flow test is the most used test, followed by a PCR test if positive.

Not true. Though there now are tests which can test various respiratory diagnostics with one application, PCR tests have been reliable in identifying the Corona virus since the beginning.

Where does all this misinformation originate?

There’s a lot of medical criticism for the pcr tests apart from this including criticism for the high cycle values (up to 40). I suffered from the pcr test failure during a trip 7 weeks after a covid infection having a negative predeparture test, a positive arrival test (not to Thailand) and 2 negative coming back to Thailand. 

The fact is antigen testing is a much better judge of active infection (though it’s delayed about a day, that delay is mitigated by the fact that pcr tests take so long to get back) 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Soidog said:

No I’m afraid he isn’t interested. For some reason he sees his role to blindly promote the opposite of whatever others try to debate. I’m not sure why, maybe some form of self flagellation? 

38E1A78D-287D-4B28-82F4-F32EE39D607B.gif

I sort of thought that.  But I honestly ask these questions out in public to make sure I’m not missing something. 

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

11 hours ago, LoongFred said:

If  i was interested in Australia and complained about the government, what would people say? As guests here keeping opinions to one's self would be wise. We might not like how different things affect us but it's basically the business of Thais.  If I significantly disagree I would go back to America. 

This is perhaps the most obsequious post that I have ever seen.

If the current rulers introduced mandatory government-controlled exploding thought collars for foreigners, I suspect that you'd request that yours be welded on to prevent it ever accidentally coming off.

This thread is about the current government's Fear campaign, but I doubt even they would believe that someone would accept it so thoroughly.

I am speechless.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm  not fearful of the government, but am moderately concerned if covid infects my neighbors. I'm healthy and had a booster so I should be ok but older frail neighbors might not do well. Only thinking of yourself and having a good time is very selfish. The public health departments in Thailand are doing and excellent job and I see no signs of corruption. I suggest you get a heart and think about other people's needs besides your own. 

Fear isn't for me as it's a sign of personal weakness.

35 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

I'm  not fearful of the government, but am moderately concerned if covid infects my neighbors. I'm healthy and had a booster so I should be ok but older frail neighbors might not do well. Only thinking of yourself and having a good time is very selfish. The public health departments in Thailand are doing and excellent job and I see no signs of corruption. I suggest you get a heart and think about other people's needs besides your own. 

Fear isn't for me as it's a sign of personal weakness.

So if the government care so much, why are they allowing hundreds of thousands to travel from Bangkok to remote towns an villages, thereby passing on the virus to the very people you claim to care about? Why are they also looking like they are backing down and will allow close contact water fights? 

You either agree that this is scaremongering, or condemn the way they are allowing the virus to potentially spread due to mass migration of people. Which is it? 

Of course for you Fred it’s neither. It’s just another topic where you can show your unending support for the government. As you said the other day. Do you really think they care what you think? 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Soidog said:

So if the government care so much, why are they allowing hundreds of thousands to travel from Bangkok to remote towns an villages, thereby passing on the virus to the very people you claim to care about? Why are they also looking like they are backing down and will allow close contact water fights? 

You either agree that this is scaremongering, or condemn the way they are allowing the virus to potentially spread due to mass migration of people. Which is it? 

Of course for you Fred it’s neither. It’s just another topic where you can show your unending support for the government. As you said the other day. Do you really think they care what you think? 

They are doing exactly what most governments did when it came to holidays

Allow it to go on, knowing that there will likely be a surge

Feeling the surge was worth allowing the holiday 

2 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

They are doing exactly what most governments did when it came to holidays

Allow it to go on, knowing that there will likely be a surge

Feeling the surge was worth allowing the holiday 

Agreed. So why bother with all the BS and simply let it happen. Why all these meetings and comments about no water only to backtrack. Why are they bothering with masks in open air spaces and yet know this will cause more cases than anything else. 

I think the term "fear machine" was an editorial addition to this article. I don't think the original article said this. Was this added to create interest?

What Thai authorities are saying is that restrictions will remain unless the covid improves. This makes sense t me. Tourists are frustrated but would be more frustrated if they caught covid and had to isolate until recovery. 

Call it fear mongering and scare tactics implies a darker agenda. An agenda to what end? Maybe they are having problems hitting their vaccination targets with a frightened or apathetic section of the population? Hitting those targets will justify a decision to loosen Covid controls, regardless of infection rates. However premature relaxation of these “public safety measures” is political dynamite if Covid flares again or another more dangerous variant  appears. i think the government would like nothing more than to scrap the Covid restrictions and let the economy recover but it is a double edged sword close to election time. 

• Like 1

On 3/26/2022 at 5:03 AM, LoongFred said:

Thai Thai public is very concerned even without this article. Covid is increasing in the countryside. I don't  know how I'll people there are but it's talked about a lot . The general population where I'm at doesn't want restrictions dropped until things get better.

An Omikron infection is not like a death sentence. If vaccinated, you'll most likely survive. Had several cases in my extended Thai family in Chiang Mai. None of them had to report to the hospital. Anecdotal evidence, Ibk ow, but the same, on a much larger scale, currently happens in Western Europe. Sky-high infection rates, but only few that need to get hospitalized because of Covid; the vast majority reporting into hospitals is with Covid.

Unreflected fear is usually a bad advisor.

3 hours ago, Fanta said:

Call it fear mongering and scare tactics implies a darker agenda. An agenda to what end? Maybe they are having problems hitting their vaccination targets with a frightened or apathetic section of the population? Hitting those targets will justify a decision to loosen Covid controls, regardless of infection rates. However premature relaxation of these “public safety measures” is political dynamite if Covid flares again or another more dangerous variant  appears. i think the government would like nothing more than to scrap the Covid restrictions and let the economy recover but it is a double edged sword close to election time. 

"i think the government would like nothing more than to scrap the Covid restrictions and let the economy recover"

I have just the opposite impression.

They called it the sandbox because that is what little children with no sense or intelligence will play in happily all day without trying to escape.

The articles ridiculing the rules and regs in Thailand are getting stronger and stronger.... well overdue.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fundok said:

"i think the government would like nothing more than to scrap the Covid restrictions and let the economy recover"

I have just the opposite impression.

Just like the rest of the tinfoil hat people round the world. And almost everywhere governments have had trouble holding a consistent line because too concerned with navigating everyone's feelings, instead of going 100% rational.

Had strong actions been taken globally whole thing could have been solved in a month, but you guys were calling it fake before it even started.

And somehow you've learned absolutely nothing and still firmly remain in the way of progress.

4 hours ago, Wackamole said:

Just like the rest of the tinfoil hat people round the world. And almost everywhere governments have had trouble holding a consistent line because too concerned with navigating everyone's feelings, instead of going 100% rational.

Had strong actions been taken globally whole thing could have been solved in a month, but you guys were calling it fake before it even started.

And somehow you've learned absolutely nothing and still firmly remain in the way of progress.

1000% agree!!

Well said

And stupid me, sitting back and watching,thinking,observing and researching, yet will be called a right wing antivaxxer if ever suggesting that it should be a choice without having to lose a job.

On 3/26/2022 at 6:22 PM, LoongFred said:

Don't even think about it mate, In Australia we give people asylum as refugees then they petition and protest the government to send money to there home country to take care of more of them, It boggles the brain?