Why cant I live in Thailand?

Paddymeboy7

On 3/26/2022 at 8:42 AM, Faz said:

The fluctuating exchange rates have made a big difference to calculations in meeting Thailand's financial requirements. Prior to the UK Brexit referendum the £ stood at 52 BHT. It's went as low as 38 BHT at one point.

It's difficult to plan when exchange rates fluctuate over 20%.
Those who deposited the 800,000 THB when rates were at their premium are the fortunate one's.

The rate averaged about 50 for the 8 years pre EU referendum, after the 2008 financial crisis, was best (91) early in 1998 and was the lowest that I can recall (in the low 30's) in the early 1980's. Exchange rates have always fluctuated.

I think that those who can actually leave the 800,000 THB in the bank for the whole year are the fortunate one's.

On 3/26/2022 at 9:20 AM, TiT said:

Is it accurate that the UK state pension is around $1k USD/mo?  I would think they got more than that?

Right now that about spot on. 

• Like 1

On 3/28/2022 at 8:37 PM, Dancbmac said:

I went to the 1980 option and got: 

1980 THB

=

59.3701 USD

I  really wish it were true but in 1980 it was about 22! Your website is wrong I'm afraid.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fundok said:

But the 1st pillar is only meant to cover your bare exisence, the most important pillar is #2, the pension fund. Wherever you work in Switzerland, you pay into your own pension fund, and if you change your employer, you take your savings with you and put them into the pension fund of your new employer, sort of like a personal savings account.

Am I right in assuming that this amount varies depending on salary?

Japan has employer matched pension contributions but only for some workers. I’m lucky in that regard, but the key factor in Japan is when you opt to receive your pension, even after stopping work. The longer you delay, the higher it goes. 

I’ll be retiring in either Thailand or Indonesia. Thailand has a few more hoops to jump through, but we are on track so far.

• Like 1

Yes, for the 2nd pillar it's the combination of the amount you pay in (depending on the salary) and the time period of course. Really like a savings account. The employer also contributes, i.e. for my age group the employer pays 2/3 and I shoulder 1/3. There is a cap at the top end, so the top salary for the premium calculation is somewhere around 124'000 CHF/yr; if you earn more this would not have any effect on your premium for the pension fund.

It is probably one of the best pension schemes in the world. I've been working in Switzerland for 15 yrs now, and the pension I can expect exceeds by far the one I would have gotten in Germany.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Fundok said:

Yes, for the 2nd pillar it's the combination of the amount you pay in (depending on the salary) and the time period of course. Really like a savings account. The employer also contributes, i.e. for my age group the employer pays 2/3 and I shoulder 1/3. There is a cap at the top end, so the top salary for the premium calculation is somewhere around 124'000 CHF/yr; if you earn more this would not have any effect on your premium for the pension fund.

It is probably one of the best pension schemes in the world. I've been working in Switzerland for 15 yrs now, and the pension I can expect exceeds by far the one I would have gotten in Germany.

I did some searching because I'm curious about this stuff

Holy shit, the average career earnings in Swiss are pretty damn high!

Around 100k/usd and average salary is higher

Impressive

Although the US at around 70k/usd was higher than I expected as well

• Like 1

On 3/30/2022 at 1:51 PM, Fester said:

I think that those who can actually leave the 800,000 THB in the bank for the whole year are the fortunate one's.

Again I will put it out that if you have worked for 40 years and cannot have saved 800,000 baht, that is 20,000 baht a year, or 385 baht a week, Than what on earth makes you think that a foreign government is going to think of you as an asset to their country?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/30/2022 at 2:10 PM, Fester said:

I went to the 1980 option and got: 

1980 THB

=

59.3701 USD

I  really wish it were true but in 1980 it was about 22! Your website is wrong I'm afraid.

That is Thai baht for a USD, you need to reverse the USD int thai baht.

If you can't understand exchange rates than i will sell you some Thai baht at that rate at much better rate than that.

Edited by Thaidup

12 hours ago, Thaidup said:

That is Thai baht for a USD, you need to reverse the USD int thai baht.

If you can't understand exchange rates than i will sell you some Thai baht at that rate at much better rate than that.

If you can give me better than 59 for the dollar I'm all ears. PM me.

12 hours ago, Thaidup said:

Again I will put it out that if you have worked for 40 years and cannot have saved 800,000 baht, that is 20,000 baht a year, or 385 baht a week, Than what on earth makes you think that a foreign government is going to think of you as an asset to their country?

What are you on about now? When did I say that?

On 3/30/2022 at 12:53 AM, Thaidup said:

This part of you your statement may be contestable, At this point in time any low income/uneducated person can cross the Mexican border into the USA illegally and simply claim asylum, last year alone they had close to 2 million do that.  https://edition.cnn.com/2021/03/31/politics/migrants-us-southern-border/index.html

Put my comment back into the context it was made.  I was not referring to asylum or even low paid manual labour. I was making explicit reference to countries seeking out long stay low income residents. Name one country that  actively seeks out poverty level retirees.  Your OP is not coming to work in a rice paddy nor is  he  fleeing  drug cartels.

On 3/31/2022 at 7:52 AM, Marc26 said:

I did some searching because I'm curious about this stuff

Holy shit, the average career earnings in Swiss are pretty damn high!

Around 100k/usd and average salary is higher

Impressive

Although the US at around 70k/usd was higher than I expected as well

Some years ago the Swiss spin-off of the German discounter chain ALDI advertised that the lowest monthly income they pay is 4'000 CHF. At this time, this wage would have probably been more than what the general  manager of a German ALDI market would have earned.

To complete your research, try Liechtenstein, on the other side of the Rhine Valley. They have even a higher average income and wealth than in Switzerland.

But in all fairness, the cost of living in Switzerland is distincively higher than in the neighbouring countries France, Germany and Austria, so that is where a huge chunk of the money goes. Still, at the end of the month there is some money left and not otherwise around. Education, safety and quality of life in general is top  And the old age pension scheme is one of the best in the world. I have never regretted to relocate from Germany to Switzerland and work here, like many others from the EU and elsewhere.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2022 at 10:15 PM, Vigo said:

Put my comment back into the context it was made.  I was not referring to asylum or even low paid manual labour. I was making explicit reference to countries seeking out long stay low income residents. Name one country that  actively seeks out poverty level retirees.  Your OP is not coming to work in a rice paddy nor is  he  fleeing  drug cartels.

Ok, point made,Let's get to the crutch of our argument, You say no country "actively seeks them" point given, My point is that letting them in, is not actively telling them not to come. Fact is that the current situation at the Mexico USA boarder is "actively" allowing people to cross enmass and encouraging more to come, be it active encouragement or mindless neglect. Dozens if not hundreds of videos are redilly available of immigrants on the way to that border of people saying that Biden said we can come now.

41 minutes ago, Thaidup said:

Ok, point made,Let's get to the crutch of our argument, You say no country "actively seeks them" point given, My point is that letting them in, is not actively telling them not to come. Fact is that the current situation at the Mexico USA boarder is "actively" allowing people to cross enmass and encouraging more to come, be it active encouragement or mindless neglect. Dozens if not hundreds of videos are redilly available of immigrants on the way to that border of people saying that Biden said we can come now.

You were presented with facts when you posted non-facts in this thread before

Then you just repeat those same non-facts

That's the issue with conservatives(or whatever you identify as)

You guys follow Trump's lead in that he, and you guys now, are just so brazen with non-facts

Prior to Trump, adults would be embarrassed if they posted something that someone clearly proved was untrue 

But now, they don't care if they were proved to be telling non-facts

As long as it gets out there in the stratosphere 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

You were presented with facts when you posted non-facts in this thread before

Then you just repeat those same non-facts

That's the issue with conservatives(or whatever you identify as)

You guys follow Trump's lead in that he, and you guys now, are just so brazen with non-facts

Prior to Trump, adults would be embarrassed if they posted something that someone clearly proved was untrue 

But now, they don't care if they were proved to be telling non-facts

As long as it gets out there in the stratosphere 

Wohah back up there, I acknowledged your point and then made a counter point, I would suggest to you that attacking someone with a differing viewpoint is not how mature adults discuss different points of view. It would be a normal discourse for you to present another countering point, not just BLAHBLAHBLAH.🧐

18 minutes ago, Thaidup said:

Wohah back up there, I acknowledged your point and then made a counter point, I would suggest to you that attacking someone with a differing viewpoint is not how mature adults discuss different points of view. It would be a normal discourse for you to present another countering point, not just BLAHBLAHBLAH.🧐

Calling someone out for continuing posting false information is not attacking them

And posting false information is not an "opinion"

It's just false information

And this what you conservatives do

You post false information 

Then play victim when someone calls you out on it

Posting "blah blah blah"

I countered your ridiculous misinformation before when you said 2mil people crossed the border(remember that?) with actual facts

But again, a conservatives posts clear false information that is "countered" with facts still has the gall to then accuse people of posting "blah blah blah"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I countered your ridiculous misinformation before when you said 2mil people crossed the border(remember that?) with actual facts

Yes, 2 million crossed the boarder.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/03/31/politics/migrants-us-southern-border/index.html

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2022/jan/24/border-patrol-encountered-record-2-million-illegal/

https://www.newsweek.com/over-2m-migrants-came-border-2021-565k-more-past-two-years-combined-1672691

9 minutes ago, Thaidup said:

Yes, 2 million crossed the boarder.

And that number is all of them for sure, no-one could sneek in without being caught at all, absolutely not would that number be higher, Imagine if you are convicted of a crime in your home country, you will let yourself be captured by USA boarder patrol, no probs for me.?????? That is my opinion anyway, Im sure i can find statistics that can verify my opinion that not all illegal boarder crosser s are caught in the act,🙂

Edited by Thaidup
added my opinion

52 minutes ago, Thaidup said:

Holy shit

I already gave you that fact that it is 2mil encounters not 2mil crossing the border

And I have already provided facts that the vast majority of those 2mil have been expelled or apprehended 

19 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I already gave you that fact that it is 2mil encounters not 2mil crossing the border

Marc, They did not "encounter" them on the Mexican side of the boarder, They had already crossed into the USA, The 2 million, as the news links above state, have been apprehended by the boarder patrol and other agencies in the USA. Lets just state facts, 2 million apprehended, unknown not apprehended, and as you posted, a large majority returned. Can we agree on those facts?.

I am posting this for Marc26 and anyone else who may be interested, Yes there are many other points of intrinsic view, however, facts are facts, I simply stated some facts, then i was accused of >

And posting false information is not an "opinion"

It's just false information

And this what you conservatives do

You post false information 

Then play victim when someone calls you out on it.

---------- now my link here--------

So read the Government website for yourself, Linked here.

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/stats/cbp-enforcement-statistics

Screenshot 2022-04-04 at 03-50-10 CBP Enforcement Statistics Fiscal Year 2022.png

Edited by Thaidup

On 4/1/2022 at 3:05 PM, Fester said:

What are you on about now? When did I say that?

Hi fester, this was a general opinion, it was not directed at you. If I respond to you I will quote you, Sorry for any misunderstanding.👍

Here is the screenshot of my comment on your comment about the subject.

Screenshot 2022-04-04 at 04-15-37 Why cant I live in Thailand.png

Edited by Thaidup

13 hours ago, Thaidup said:

Hi fester, this was a general opinion, it was not directed at you. If I respond to you I will quote you, Sorry for any misunderstanding.👍

Here is the screenshot of my comment on your comment about the subject.

Screenshot 2022-04-04 at 04-15-37 Why cant I live in Thailand.png

You stabbed the quote icon on my post then inserted your own message and posted it. That process is generally seen as a reply. No big deal but it may give some readers the wrong impression.

But more importantly, if you can give me 59 Baht for a dollar I'm still all ears! 

image.jpeg.5e1ee0de16940c1c7f087b693d44044f.jpeg

• Haha 2

On 4/4/2022 at 5:58 PM, Fester said:

But more importantly, if you can give me 59 Baht for a dollar I'm still all ears!

No. that rate you are quoting is 1980 thai baht into us dollars, it is not (the year 1980) 👍

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2022 at 2:10 PM, Fester said:

I stated earlier on 29 March #185146 and apologized after I was corrected, as I read the website incorrectly.  The website wasn’t wrong it was myself not checking the data correctly.