News Forum - Boeing aircraft carrying 133 passengers crashes in China, state media reports

Thaiger

A Boeing 737 passenger jet carrying 133 people has crashed in China, according to a Chinese state media broadcast. Reports say the Chinese Eastern Airlines flight MU5735 went missing earlier in the day as it was headed from Kunming to Guangzhou. This afternoon, a broadcaster on CCTV reported that the jet crashed in Guangxi in southern China and fire could be visible from a mountain. Rescue teams are now responding to the scene. SOURCES: CNA | CNN

The story Boeing aircraft carrying 133 passengers crashes in China, state media reports as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

No surprise there. Boeing is and will still be for some time a company that i wouldn't trust for a second. More concentrated on the Stock Exchange than Safety and Engineering. Poor Chinese faced the same fate as their previous victims crashing with a 737 max 8.

Edited by KaptainRob
email data is not appropriate

Screen-Shot-2022-03-21-at-7.49.17-pm-800

The graph indicates a sudden catastrophic failure.  If no May Day call was issued an explosion is the possible cause and already large parts of fuselage have been found which suggest mid-air break-up.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CamPat said:

No surprise there. Boeing is and will still be for some time a company that i wouldn't trust for a second. More concentrated on the Stock Exchange than Safety and Engineering. Poor Chinese faced the same fate as their previous victims crashing with a 737 max 8.

Obiviously an aviation expet here :(

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, CamPat said:

Ludicrous statement - not a single Boeing plane,  would be allowed to land at any airport without a faultless safety record. Dozens of airlines are banned into major airports due to not reaching the required standard. They say the plane was 6 years old, which is when aircraft receive their first major service (smaller ones are carried out beforehand), possibly connected.

Plus if it was all about profit as you state how do you think one of their planes dropping out of the sky is going to affect their profits 🤔

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

https://samchui.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/Screen-Shot-2022-03-21-at-7.49.17-pm-800x245.png

The graph indicates a sudden catastrophic failure.  If no May Day call was issued an explosion is the possible cause and already large parts of fuselage have been found which suggest mid-air break-up.

Utterly terrifying - poor souls 

With the general dislike of America and American products in China (except Apple products), plus the already previous discontent and fear Chinese people had of Boeing airplanes ever since the Max was grounded, now add this terrifying crash, which happens to be yet another Boeing.... And this may very well be the final blow to Boeing in the Chinese market. Which is one of Boeing's biggest.

In recent years, foreign planes in China were around 65% Airbus 35% Boeing... But I can see that figure now changing quickly in favor of Airbus... 

Good for me, I guess, since I've never flown in a Boeing plane... "If it ain't Airbus, I'm taking a bus", that's my motto when it comes to flights. 

PS: Yes, in 2019 the Boeing 737 and the Airbus A320 had an identical safety record... But we all can see from the 737 Max accidents that Boeing as a company doesn't give a rat's arse about the passengers lives, it's all about revenue for them. 

Also the Boeing 737, in its core, it's the same design as it was in the 60s, I, as a passenger can't tolerate that. 

Edited by Sparktrader
  • Like 1

Could be anything and is far to early to make sweeping statements about boeing or the 737.

Another couple of situations that could fit the sneario as known in public at present are 

Uncontrolled/unchecked trim runaway or pilot initiated mass murder/suicide.

Both could easily result in a Vne dive as appears to be the case here.

there are numerous other scenarios that could result in the way the aircraft appears to have speared in and the 2 i have suggested could easily be wrong also.

boeing could just as easily be at fault or not at fault at this point in time.

given the wreckage has been located the probable cause of the accident will probably be in the public domain fairly quickly.

Edited by Cathat
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

With the general dislike of America and American products in China (except Apple products), plus the already previous discontent and fear Chinese people had of Boeing airplanes ever since the Max was grounded, now add this terrifying crash, which happens to be yet another Boeing.... And this may very well be the final blow to Boeing in the Chinese market. Which is one of Boeing's biggest.

In recent years, foreign planes in China were around 65% Airbus 35% Boeing... But I can see that figure now changing quickly in favor of Airbus... 

Good for me, I guess, since I've never flown in a Boeing plane... "If it ain't Airbus, I'm taking a bus", that's my motto when it comes to flights. 

maybe you should check the bus safety record here in Thailand

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Which was a common problem in the 737s, specially the early ones like 200 and 300 series. Unheard of since quite a long time. Really hope that is not the case this time. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_737_rudder_issues

Things have moved on from those times and crews are now trained to over come and escape rudder hard overs, given enough airspace for recovery. The CCTV so presented is somewhat surprising as the object appears to be intact, where in most uncontrolled departures of an airliner at height , a break up would be more usual. An object with any kind of lifting surfaces still attached, such as wings, or tail plane would not fall as this one appears to have done. Time will tell. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marc26 said:

China Eastern always has/had the cheapest flights from Vancouver to Bangkok, by a lot

But I just wouldn't fly them

You'd probably be better off not flying Boeings.... At least not the 737 airframe. 

Clearly, Boeing isn't what it was. Nowadays the safety of the passengers doesnt concern them. All they care is meeting deadlines and revenues. 

2 hours ago, Faraday said:

That looks more like flown straight into the ground, or not? Even with no jet power, how can a plane fell down like this in, how it looks like, one peace?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marc26 said:

China Eastern always has/had the cheapest flights from Vancouver to Bangkok, by a lot

Ive used them once in the past --but def spooked now...or ANY Boeing aircraft

Netflix just did a Doc on them if anyone wants to check it out--The Case against Boeing...

4 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Which was a common problem in the 737s, specially the early ones like 200 and 300 series. Unheard of since quite a long time. Really hope that is not the case this time. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_737_rudder_issues

trim runaway can occur in most if not all aircraft with electric trim on the control yoke.it is not unique to  boeing or the 737 family and still represents a potential problem on many aircraft.

It's fairly easy to identify and deal with if the correct recovery procedure is taken  before the speed gets out of hand.

18 minutes ago, Cathat said:

trim runaway can occur in most if not all aircraft with electric trim on the control yoke.it is not unique to  boeing or the 737 family and still represents a potential problem on many aircraft.

It's fairly easy to identify and deal with if the correct recovery procedure is taken  before the speed gets out of hand.

Yes, I know. Just pointing out that Boeings 737 in particular suffered a lot from this issue, in their earlier versions. And it wasn't an electric issue either, IIRC it was hydraulic fluid getting frozen due to poor design? something along these lines?

5 hours ago, Benroon said:

Plus if it was all about profit as you state how do you think one of their planes dropping out of the sky is going to affect their profits 🤔

I think we have all seen clear evidence of how their profits have been affected by previous crashes.

Why do you think major maintenance on any aircraft occurs after six years?  

3 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I have been tempted too.  The connections just didn't work out.

6 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

https://samchui.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/Screen-Shot-2022-03-21-at-7.49.17-pm-800x245.png

If the video is actual footage of the crash, the aircraft  appears to be mostly intact.  It did look more like a lawn dart than a 737 though.

3 hours ago, Guest1 said:

That looks more like flown straight into the ground, or not? Even with no jet power, how can a plane fell down like this in, how it looks like, one peace?

Gravity still works when the engines don't.