News Forum - Should Foreigners Still Come To Retire In Thailand?

Thaiger

Thailand has always been popular as a country to come and retire. Many foreign retirees could come to Thailand and live a pretty good life. However, since the exchange rate has tightened up and the covid 19 pandemic, how has that effected retirees living in Thailand? Tim sits with Ben Hart from Integrity legal to find out more about Retirees and Retiring in Thailand.

The story Should Foreigners Still Come To Retire In Thailand? as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I've lived in LOS since Oct 2006. Had I known then what I know now, I would have chosen somewhere else and, perhaps, visited LOS a few times a year.

Don't get me wrong, I'm comfortable in a 2-bedroom condo overlooking the Gulf of Thailand and could never afford something similar in the US, but it's the "frog being brought to a boil very slowly" syndrome. Being referred to as a "dirty farang" or a "f***ing farang" while the cost of staying here rises gets me thinking.

Only reason I don't leave is I have too many toys that aren't worth shipping. Golden handcuffs.

Edited by JustAnotherExpat
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1
  • Cool 2

5 minutes ago, JustAnotherExpat said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm comfortable in a 2-bedroom condo overlooking the Gulf of Thailand and could never afford something similar in the US, but it's the "frog being brought to a boil very slowly" syndrome. Being referred to as a "dirty farang" or a "f***ing farang" while the cost of staying here rises gets me thinking.

Yes, I didn't mind receiving the abuse when bars were charging 75 Baht for a large Chang , but I certainly wont tolerate the abuse when the bars are now charging 150 Baht for  large Chang 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Cool 1

Was this video all about selling Ben's services. Is truly appears that way. All of the challenges you point out don't exist anymore. I've been living in Thailand for over 35 years in-and-out,  Business here for almost as many and recently retired in the last year. There is a new, most professional immigration office in Samutprakran.  I went to the old office for many years to renew visas, get visas, docs etc. The new office is so professional, so fast!!! I have never been in-and-out of an office in less than 10 minutes not once but twice to do my 90 day stamp.   I am in awe at the professionalism and at the swift and smooth process. Amazing Thailand. This exactly opposite of what Mr. Ben is telling us. Matter of fact I was just there in the last 15 days. I'm not sure where you 2 gentlemen are getting your current information. In addition the AU/ThB exchange currently 24. Decent. Higher than the last year. No better time to retire Aussies

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, JustAnotherExpat said:

I've lived in LOS since Oct 2006. Had I known then what I know now, I would have chosen somewhere else and, perhaps, visited LOS a few times a year.

Only reason I don't leave is I have too many toys that aren't worth shipping. Golden handcuffs.

Find new friends, find new turf, make positive changes. Remember it's the land of Smiles 😃

• Like 7

If you're ever feeling sorry about coming to retire in Thailand just watch  an hour off news and TV  from your own Country on YouTube.

Afterwards you'll feel much better and happy that you've got the opportunity to live in the Land of Smiles. 

Edited by 23RD
  • Like 13

7 minutes ago, Travel101 said:

Was this video all about selling Ben's services. Is truly appears that way. All of the challenges you point out don't exist anymore. I've been living in Thailand for over 35 years in-and-out,  Business here for almost as many and recently retired in the last year. There is a new, most professional immigration office in Samutprakran.  I went to the old office for many years to renew visas, get visas, docs etc. The new office is so professional, so fast!!! I have never been in-and-out of an office in less than 10 minutes not once but twice to do my 90 day stamp.   I am in awe at the professionalism and at the swift and smooth process. Amazing Thailand. This exactly opposite of what Mr. Ben is telling us. Matter of fact I was just there in the last 15 days. I'm not sure where you 2 gentlemen are getting your current information. In addition the AU/ThB exchange currently 24. Decent. Higher than the last year. No better time to retire Aussies

Oh wow senior ! Your forgetting that not every IO  operates the same in Thailand ,just like the banks!

Each province  interpretation of law and procedures can be different at times.

Me thinks your out of touch with reality,no offense.

In my neck of the rice patties ,its very primitive,still signing what appears to be endless papers upon papers.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Travel101 said:

The immigration office at SP is not new it's temporary while they build a new one at the old Paknam one. However it certainly has improved since the old days, first time I went a grumpy old cow informed me they did not really do extensions there and told me to go to the Bkk office even though I lived in SP. The only think that irked me recently was their insistence on pp copies to do a 90 days report and even having to show a TM30 for some reason to get a queue number.

I came in 2010 to have primeval fun! I was bitten by the asian women beauty  bug ,after spending 35 years of livin with my wife now ex wife in the states!

Then came the take care take care fascination!

Accumulating wealth and finding a lady who I consider a friend / wife was pinnacle!

Then came Prayuth with all the many changes since early 2014!

It really gives Credence  to spend as much as you can afford to walk away from!

Fingers crossed I will continue to look forward to the burn here and not have to meet the credence !

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Travel101 said:

Find new friends, find new turf, make positive changes. Remember it's the land of Smiles 😃

That wasn't the question.

• Like 1

Everything in life is what you make of it. There are worse (and maybe even  better) places to retire, but if you are looking for happiness to come to you you will never find it anywhere,  regardless. Love yourself, enjoy the moment, and stop stressing. I've frankly never been happier then I am now living in Thailand, but that still doesn't stop me from rolling my eyes occasionally. 

• Like 16

It will always depend on the economy of either Thailand or other asean countries, as where the retiree comes from.

As Thailand is still working to get better and better, transferring from a coupe dictatorship to a democratic country, give it a chance!

As the Thai are very friendly, cooking one of the best in Asea, hospitals some better then in the west, all signs say, Yes to Thailand!

• Like 5

7 hours ago, JustAnotherExpat said:

Being referred to as a "dirty farang" or a "f***ing farang"

What did you do to piss them off?

• Like 2

I have lived and worked in Thailand for 17 years. There are always little things that seem pointless and annoying. However, it is what it is. No complaints from me.

The shocker was in the Pattaya Mail a few weeks ago where a story attributed to the royal Thai immigration service that from the 1st. of March 22. The long stay requirements are now going up to a rediculous 3 million + the 400 or 800 thousand in the bank for your visa.

I have seen no retractions or news about it since. Has anybody had any news on this yet?

Regards paul

Fair few expats in the past have spat their dummy out and returned to the west and within a few days once the rose tinted specs come off quickly remember why they departed their home country in the first place!

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Cathat said:

Fair few expats in the past have spat their dummy out and returned to the west and within a few days once the rose tinted specs come off quickly remember why they departed their home country in the first place!

The grass is always greener on the other side of the meadow.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Raugh said:

What did you do to piss them off?

Are you trying to be cute or are you unaware Health Minister Anutin said these things in public?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Paulus said:

I have lived and worked in Thailand for 17 years. There are always little things that seem pointless and annoying. However, it is what it is. No complaints from me.

The shocker was in the Pattaya Mail a few weeks ago where a story attributed to the royal Thai immigration service that from the 1st. of March 22. The long stay requirements are now going up to a rediculous 3 million + the 400 or 800 thousand in the bank for your visa.

I have seen no retractions or news about it since. Has anybody had any news on this yet?

Regards paul

Yah, the Pattaya mall wants you to buy more insurance from their advertisers.  Pretty much happens on a yearly basis to drum up business.  I don't think any long timers fall for it though.

• Like 1

Yes is the answer.  Its a great place to spend a retired life. Yes it has its frustrations but so does anywhere.  If the frustrations, such as they are, make you unhappy, you would be unhappy wherever you are.  

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, JustAnotherExpat said:

Are you trying to be cute or are you unaware Health Minister Anutin said these things in public?

Well, if your wife asks why you went to a soapy, you can tell her that Anutin said I was dirty so I wanted to clean up.

• Haha 4

Regards paul

Not heard anything about this possible change in along time.

You sure the 3 million is not referring to insurance cover for certain visas?

14 minutes ago, Saltire said:

The 3 million must only be insurance cover  and it will only be for OA visas not O.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JustAnotherExpat said:

Oh sorry.

I did not know, I thought you meant people say that to you as you walk around or in public.

Maybe trying to be a bit cheeky too

Edited by Raugh
cheekiness
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, JustAnotherExpat said:

Love the frog analogy😂

Im in a very similar situation. I’ve been involved in Thailand for a very long time. Initially working and holidaying here and then getting more involved over the years. Like you, if I knew then what I know now, I would have kept Thailand at arms length and come here two or three times a year for a month or two holiday. I’m in my mid 50’s and I still work and will do for a further 5-10 years. I can’t imagine myself living in Thailand full time ever. Maybe that will be by choice, or maybe things will become so difficult and/or expensive to live here. I don’t mean day to day living, more the changes to visa rules and insurance requirements.

The majority of expats I see in Thailand basically waste their life walking around from coffee shop to coffee shop, or bar to bar. Either that or they stay at home playing on the internet and pottering around without any purpose in life. Many people also run a business here but actually have little to no direct involvement. The business isn’t in their name and many don’t have a work permit and hence work out of sight for fear of being reported. That’s a life that’s not for me, but I respect it may be fine for others.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pinetree said:

The 3 million must only be insurance cover  and it will only be for OA visas not O.

Not yet perhaps?….