News Forum - Should Foreigners Still Come To Retire In Thailand?

Thaiger

46 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Yes agree with all that Marc. I wasn’t suggesting uk health care is free. It is however predictable and doesn’t get more expensive with age, in fact it gets cheaper. 

My comment about the £4k bill was to counter the nonsense from the Thai apologist on the forum who claims Thai medical care is cheap compared to the US. I don’t believe it is cheap. It’s certainly not relatively cheap. You would expect Thailand to be cheaper. Employment and running costs for a hospital are cheaper and I would imagine insurance is also a lot cheaper. You’ll note I also said it was the norm for Americans to have health insurance. 

I've been in both systems, employer paid insurance in the US and now "free" healthcare in Canada

When you factor in the taxes, plus I pay 200/mo for a couple for extended health insurance

I would say my insurance/healthcare in the US was vastly superior, there isn't even a comparison.

Healthcare is free in the US as you get older, as well. And it is fantastic coverage.

But I do understand the need for social healthcare, as well

6 hours ago, LoongFred said:

The conservative people are stating to fight back. They're tired of the get up close and in your face preached by some democrats. They are also tired of the cancel culture and preaching from the left. America is very divided today. Yesterday the liberals were leading but the other side has woken up to their aggressiveness. Just look at Portland and the left leaning big cities that had riots and burning while so called seeking social justice. Most American want personal responsibility to rule the day, and not rely on state hand outs. 

Thais I know also value independence  and self reliance.

But my point was in reply to someone talking about Trumpers/MAGA treating people bad

And you could reverse it, as you did with liberals treating others bad

But if you are a normal person, I don't see how you are even getting to the point to be in the position of someone treating you bad over politics

By the way, in my vast travels all over the US, I find it is conservatives that initiate political conversations(all the time actually)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Healthcare is free in the US as you get older, as well. And it is fantastic coverage.

You see, these are the posts I like. I never knew that was the case. I always assumed some average cost calculation would be applied with the younger people essentially offsetting the cost for the elderly. When and how does does it become free. Is it for all treatment or just  a limited range of treatment. 

The UK has the issue of not only providing virtually everything free; with each passing year the list grows. Now you can get free food if you have a food allergy, you can even get free cosmetic surgery if you can show it is affecting your mental health (and we aren’t talking serious deformities here) we are talking wrinkles and other ageing conditions.   

13 minutes ago, Soidog said:

You see, these are the posts I like. I never knew that was the case. I always assumed some average cost calculation would be applied with the younger people essentially offsetting the cost for the elderly. When and how does does it become free. Is it for all treatment or just  a limited range of treatment. 

Medicare starts when you are 65 years old and it is pretty comprehensive and not limited much at all

Medicaid is for low income below 65 years old

Plus you are auotmotically enrolled in Medicare once you start receiving your social security benefits(old age pension)

My mom was on Medicare and must have amassed millions in heart surgeries at some of the best hospitals in Boston(which means in the world)

Then when she was dying, it paid for a great hospice for months

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LoongFred said:

You lucky that you weren't in the US your bill would be much higher, probably $50,000 + . Care in Thailand is very good an very inexpensive. 

I thought it was pretty expensive based on having seen only two doctors, having a MRI scan on my head, an eye check with the usual equipment and some tablets and eye drops, I think two out-patient visits in all, no overnight stay. 

7 hours ago, Soidog said:

Yes agree with all that Marc. I wasn’t suggesting uk health care is free. It is however predictable and doesn’t get more expensive with age, in fact it gets cheaper. 

My comment about the £4k bill was to counter the nonsense from the Thai apologist on the forum who claims Thai medical care is cheap compared to the US. I don’t believe it is cheap. It’s certainly not relatively cheap. You would expect Thailand to be cheaper. Employment and running costs for a hospital are cheaper and I would imagine insurance is also a lot cheaper. You’ll note I also said it was the norm for Americans to have health insurance. 

It was only out-patient treatment, I did not stay in the hospital so I thought it was expensive. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Soidog said:

No wonder you have a high opinion of the Thai government. Seems you have similar levels of IQ.

The subject Fred that you want to get back on, is “Should foreigners still come TO RETIRE in Thailand

How can foreigners “bring more Covid”? Thailand is utterly riddled with the virus. Bring more Covid 😂😂

Was it foreigners who were cavorting around in Thong Lor drug & sex dens that caused the last major outbreaks? Was it foreigners who allowed millions to move around the country spreding the virus last Songkran and looking likely to do it again?  I don’t mind people with differing opinions, in fact I respect them. What I can’t respect is someone who hides behind the anonymity of the internet and simply aims at upsetting people. 

You are 'orrible to poor old Fred.🤣

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, JamesR said:

You are 'orrible to poor old Fred.🤣

I never pick a fight with anyone James, I only ever retaliate. He gets upset when I do. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I never pick a fight with anyone James, I only ever retaliate. He gets upset when I do. 

I know, he makes me laugh.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, steve860 said:

Unfortunately old Freddy boy has a jumped up illusion of grandeur! 😊

I have noticed. 😆

I am normally on this web site when my code is compiling/building on my computer so I change windows and nip in and out of here for a bit of a laugh.

It is funny sometimes. 

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Are you having arguments with strangers over politics that it gets to name calling?

I do not argue with strangers over politics, but just having to go to a grocery store or a mall and see these idiots/crazies from my state are enough of an offense to make me not want to return to the U.S.    

Was just making a point that Thailand has been a lot more tolerable for me.  Have not had the pleasure here of being called a dirty farang or whatever.   

Have not been back to the U.S. for over 4 years.  I have relatives in AZ who still use the N word, and tell jokes with the N word. That is about as offensive and redneck as you can get. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Soidog said:

If you want to go to many of the high quality and excellent private hospitals, then costs are high.

Compared to America where I am from they are not high at all. 

I got a colonoscopy at Bangkok Pattaya hospital for around $600.  Average cost in America is $2700.  

CT scan at same hospital $630.  Average cost in  America $3200.

As many have pointed out or know, medical professionals here are mostly trained at the same highly respected medical universities as American or European doctors. 

Win-win for retirees in Thailand IMO

15 minutes ago, ExpatPattaya said:

Compared to America where I am from they are not high at all. 

I got a colonoscopy at Bangkok Pattaya hospital for around $600.  Average cost in America is $2700.  

CT scan at same hospital $630.  Average cost in  America $3200.

As many have pointed out or know, medical professionals here are mostly trained at the same highly respected medical universities as American or European doctors. 

Win-win for retirees in Thailand IMO

Well it is a win win if you are an American retiree. In the UK where I am from then I’ve already paid through taxes for my medical care which of course you can’t access in Thailand. That essentially means I pay twice, or depending on the circumstances have to return to the UK for treatment. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Been retired here more than 5 years now and would have to say I believe Thailand is still a good place to retire for me, from the UK.

As discussed, health in old age is probably the number one concern for most, it is for me. I actually feel pretty good these days but having the 'Big 3' Covid vulnerabilities makes me worry sometimes.

What I miss in the health system from the UK is the continuity of service. I am referring to the General Practitioner setup in the UK where year on year when I went to my doctor he had your history going back to your childhood on the screen in front of them. If you moved home your notes moved with you.

I live in the sticks (I know, it's my choice) and have had to include check ups etc as part of a holiday as there is nothing here. I've had annual checks in Bangkok, Hua Hin, Pattaya etc and when you see a doctor he knows nothing of your medical history. Mine goes back a long way so I find it hard to know what to tell them without boring the pants off them with my long list of previous and current conditions. There really is no doctor/patient relationship as I knew it.

I often am envious of posters who obviously have a dedicated doctor/hospital who is their first point of contact for health issues, and that is one reson we are planning a move to a province with good facilities close by.

My point really is that location is probably the most important decision for any retiree and while it's nice out here, it's no longer practical. My brother back in the UK recently had a heart attack and from 'my left arm feels funny' to having 3 stents took 4 hours.

If it was me am pertty sure I would not make it to a hospital in time.

Edited by Saltire

1 hour ago, ExpatPattaya said:

I do not argue with strangers over politics, but just having to go to a grocery store or a mall and see these idiots/crazies from my state are enough of an offense to make me not want to return to the U.S.    

Was just making a point that Thailand has been a lot more tolerable for me.  Have not had the pleasure here of being called a dirty farang or whatever.   

Have not been back to the U.S. for over 4 years.  I have relatives in AZ who still use the N word, and tell jokes with the N word. That is about as offensive and redneck as you can get. 

Yes that is something a lot of us Americans have to deal with in regards to family

I don't think people realize how deeply racist the US is

The underlying racism is truly astounding 

I had similar incident at my cousins at 4th of July

One of their friends told a "funny" story about his wife coming out of surgery high on pain medication and calling Obama a "n-word"

It was shocking he was so comfortable telling that story

And I am mad at myself for not saying something 

But like most Americans, I don't want to cause a problem with my family 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Saltire said:

What I miss in the health system from the UK is the continuity of service.

That is a very important point you raise. Continuity of health care is a key factor. 

I hope you get your move sorted and start to develop some form of continuity with the Thai hospital of your choosing. That said, you aren’t guaranteed to always see the same doctor when you go to the same hospital. 

• Thanks 1

If one in 2022 still wants to come for amazing worry free life (ok; except the yearly hassle of pimping yourself out to the local immigration officer), I think Thailand still does pretty well... even through for long-term expats it's still not really friendly in forms of visa's in not so my humble opinion.

On 3/6/2022 at 4:46 PM, riclag said:

Oh wow senior ! Your forgetting that not every IO  operates the same in Thailand ,just like the banks!

Each province  interpretation of law and procedures can be different at times.

Me thinks your out of touch with reality,no offense.

In my neck of the rice patties ,its very primitive,still signing what appears to be endless papers upon papers.

Please add UT and Nongbualamphu to the list of "out of touch with reality" IO's then.  In my 28 yrs here they have been nothing but professional and willing to listen/help as needed.  Perhaps it is your IO that hasn't caught up with reality. 

Hi everyone, it doesn't really matter as to who or why people want to retire here. Thailand made it's fortune from the foreign people who have decided to stay and invest in property albeit in their wive's names. It seems quite obvious that Thailand would like this to be a resort for the elite rather than the guys who have paid hundreds of thousands if not millions into the society. Now they are said to have raised the requirement for O/A visa to 3,400,000 or in the case of single guys 3,800,000. Clever move as of course you can sign over your house which of course is your wife's security. One thing you can be sure of that whatever hospital treats you should you become seriously ill. They will drain every last baht out of you and your wife. All of you seem to be posting for personal reasons but what ever your reason, we are all in the same position. I have lived and worked here for 18 years. I love it. I am a Brit and just love the freedom Thailand has allowed me. I feel that if it does come into firm law in October. I will leave. I will not put $100,000 up as collateral. All we can do is wait and see.

PAULUS

4 hours ago, Paulus said:

Hi everyone, it doesn't really matter as to who or why people want to retire here. Thailand made it's fortune from the foreign people who have decided to stay and invest in property albeit in their wive's names. It seems quite obvious that Thailand would like this to be a resort for the elite rather than the guys who have paid hundreds of thousands if not millions into the society. Now they are said to have raised the requirement for O/A visa to 3,400,000 or in the case of single guys 3,800,000. Clever move as of course you can sign over your house which of course is your wife's security. One thing you can be sure of that whatever hospital treats you should you become seriously ill. They will drain every last baht out of you and your wife. All of you seem to be posting for personal reasons but what ever your reason, we are all in the same position. I have lived and worked here for 18 years. I love it. I am a Brit and just love the freedom Thailand has allowed me. I feel that if it does come into firm law in October. I will leave. I will not put $100,000 up as collateral. All we can do is wait and see.

PAULUS

The OA visa is a dog. Most retired people find ways to convert it to type O for retirement or married to Thai. The retirements for these visa hasn’t changed but I plan to ask the io because I need to extend soon. Maybe you worry too much.

2 hours ago, Paulus said:

O /A only means a visa that was either applied for outside of Thailand or an extention in Thailand. All O visas are the same in this case.

The O A is from the Thai embassy in your home country. It does not require funds in  Thai Bank until renewed in Thailand.  It can  be good up to two years. It was popular until the insurance was added.  Some people returned home and got   a  visa every two years to avoid putting money in a Thai bank. The Non O require funds in a Thai bank.

The increased amount you are taking about is for long term options.

I show monthly transfer in excess of 65k  baht which is ok with IO but I also keep 1-2 M in my account for emergencies.

I suggest you talk directly to an IO , they have always  helpful.

Don't  believe the hysterics.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2022 at 11:22 AM, Cabra said:

Everything in life is what you make of it. There are worse (and maybe even  better) places to retire, but if you are looking for happiness to come to you you will never find it anywhere,  regardless. Love yourself, enjoy the moment, and stop stressing. I've frankly never been happier then I am now living in Thailand, but that still doesn't stop me from rolling my eyes occasionally. 

Exactly it's called life - utopia doesn't exist anywhere. It cannot be coincidence that for every person bleating about immigration, soi dogs, driving, national park pricing blah blah blah etc etc there's another person who doesn't have a problem with any of it (me), it probably boils down to your propensity of allowing life to get on top of you instead of taking control of your own short life here I guess - many people just want to find the negatives and then feed off them. I escaped the insane tax obsessed UK, the icy roads and the 20 minute summers and I've never regretted it for a second.

So to answer the question, it depends where you are coming from I guess, if you are coming from a $50m beachfront Malibu mansion it might not be the best idea, but if you are from the remaining 99.99999% of the world I still thinks it's a fantastic idea providing you're not going to try and do it on a too restrictive budget as that leads to a dull existence anywhere. Enjoy the country, Thailand has a lot to offer for those who will respect their hosts and try to get along (and all in wall to wall sunshine!)

• Like 2

On 3/12/2022 at 10:01 AM, DiggR said:

Please add UT and Nongbualamphu to the list of "out of touch with reality" IO's then.  In my 28 yrs here they have been nothing but professional and willing to listen/help as needed.  Perhaps it is your IO that hasn't caught up with reality. 

You can add Hua Hin to that too - always extremely helpful (once even stayed open late so I could drive to the bank and get back) - the main man there even gave us his phone number for any immigration issues and I've never given him a baht. 

Some people just love to moan when the situation that is causing them angst can easily be dealt with, with a calm and rational head on. (and given the vast majority of IO's in my experience can talk very good english, I wonder how many of the complainers can talk fluent Thai to help things along?)

• Like 1

On 3/7/2022 at 4:42 AM, JustAnotherExpat said:

Are you trying to be cute or are you unaware Health Minister Anutin said these things in public?

I'm not defending the moron but he made ONE comment, on ONE occasion years ago along the lines you refer to and yet you hang onto it and try to project that single incidence onto 70 million other thais - a bit pathetic really to be fair.

• Like 2