Do SETV's and the like need to be applied for in one's home country?

Cyberpixie

The title of my post is pretty self-explanatory. I am currently in Thailand on a retirement visa and long story short it's not quite right. This I discovered when I last renewed it - and it cost me at the Immigration office. I think the best long term solution is to exit the country, allow the visa to lapse, and then reenter on a tourist visa which I would then convert (using someone who knows what they're doing this time, haha).

Make sense so far?

So what I want to know is - I'm Canadian. Do I have to apply for this tourist visa in Canada? Or could I hop to, say, Vietnam, get it done at the embassy in Hanoi and then return? I'd rather not do a couple of trans-planetary flights until Omicron stops jumping up and down.

I have emailed said embassy in Hanoi but got a bounceback message which is why I am asking you fine folks.

In general, imho, the tourist visa, single entry, was never a real problem to get, in surrounding countries.

The "usual" adress, to get one, even double entry tourist visas at that time, was for many years vientianne, Laos. 

But that was mostly via landboarder, freedome bridge and before covid rules.

I did hear rumors, that Phnom Phen, Cambodia, seems to open up for airtrips, to get "tourists" visas.

Just right now, no one has an idea how to comply with test&go or if there will be a loophole for people, fully vaccinated, coming from Thailand and only staying outside of Thailand for 2 or 3 days.

But I think, the visa industry will clear that in the coming weeks. And start anouncing this. To much money at stake.

• Like 1

I suspect you have a 1 year extension of stay based on retirement, issued by Thai Immigration, a permit, not a Visa. What exactly is the problem?

@Faz:

The problem is that at the time I applied for the extension (mid 2020) I did not have the required 800K in the bank for long enough. My lawyer assured me that because everything was all over the map with Covid and so many people who were old enough were converting to retirements visas, the financial requirements were being waived - and they were, for a ridiculous fee. When I went to renew in September 2021 there was much hemming and hawing when they looked at my bank book, and this hemming and hawing cost me. I am concerned that there will be similar issues when I go to renew/extend in September of 2022 - in other words, that this extension is tainted, for lack of a better word, and forever will be so. Hence my idea to exit, let the extension lapse, and start fresh now that I mot definitely HAVE had the required 800K in the bank long enough. All t's crossed, all i's dotted. No fuss.

The 1 year extension stamp is genuine and legal, even it was obtained by immoral means.

If you can now provide evidence of 800,000 THB in a Thai bank in your sole name from Sept 2021, then you can apply for a further 1 year extension (permit, not a Visa) legitimately Sept 2022.

Even Covid didn't wave the 800k in a bank rule. They just got a bit flexible with the time it has to be in, didn't make a fuss of a couple of missing days in the initial 2 month. Because of covid

What your lawyer did, that was just the "you cannot show the money, but we can do it for you" deal. For a fee of up to 30k, of course. Needs some brown envelopes in the system. But that is nothing new, that is what visa agents are doing for decades. 

But: You ARE on an extension, now, the next one is in september and it seems you can get the money in your account at least 3 month before that time. That would make your next extension of the extension legit. And would drastically shrink the agent / lawyers fee. To about 10-12k, imho

@Faz and @Guest1: So if I have had at least 963K Baht in a Bangkok Bank account since April of 2021, I'll be fine in September 2022? They won't be forever pointing to the 20-odd K in September of 2020?

1 minute ago, Cyberpixie said:

@Faz and @Guest1: So if I have had at least 963K Baht in a Bangkok Bank account since April of 2021, I'll be fine in September 2022? They won't be forever pointing to the 20-odd K in September of 2020?

Correct.

The financial requirement is based on the previous 12 months on the date of application.
The Immigration orders state, you must maintain a balance of 800K for 3 months after your previous application, you can then withdraw funds but must leave a balance of 400K minimum in the account, then top up to 800K again 2 months prior to the date of your next application.
(Note you can apply up to 30 days in advance of your extension renewal date.)

35-2561 (2019 (changed clause 2.22 of 327-2557 ENG.pdf

The fact you mention 963K in a BKK account suggests it's a 'Savings' account with debit card.
If it's your intention to keep an amount above 800K throughout the year to meet Immigrations requirements, I suggest you open a 12 month 'fixed' deposit account, then transfer 800K to that account from your Savings account.

A fixed term account offers better interest rates, has no debit card, so you can't accidently withdraw and go below the financial limit. Keep the Savings account for living expenses, rent, shopping etc.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Cyberpixie said:

since April of 2021

So you had 800k in 2021, but before April not the "never under the minimum of 400K", right?

This year then you have all you need and should be fine.

To ease it, I just would (I have) put 800K plus a bit in an extra account, you are not using/having a ATM card .

Also you would not even need a lawyer any longer, "just" would have to do the extension tango by yourself, fee down to only 1900 baht

• Like 1

@Faz : Thank you, very helpful. I have never been sure - semantics - if the "date of application" would forever be the one back in 2020, or if it would roll over year to year. 

Good tip on the fixed deposit account. So they don't care if the 800K moves seamlessly from one account to another on the same date?

10 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

So you had 800k in 2021, but before April not the "never under the minimum of 400K", right?

This year then you have all you need and should be fine.

To ease it, I just would (I have) put 800K plus a bit in an extra account, you are not using/having a ATM card .

Also you would not even need a lawyer any longer, "just" would have to do the extension tango by yourself, fee down to only 1900 baht

Correct re: the 800K. And in fact that is what I have done re the extra account: this BKK Bank account stays dormant and I have a K Bank account that I use for living expenses.

Thank you again :)

4 minutes ago, Cyberpixie said:

@Faz : Thank you, very helpful. I have never been sure - semantics - if the "date of application" would forever be the one back in 2020, or if it would roll over year to year.

You can submit applications up to 30 days prior to your existing extension expiring (up to 45 days early at certain Immigration offices)

If your current extension expiry date was for example Sept 15th 2022, you could apply for a further 1 year extension on Aug 15th. That would be the date of submitting your application, therefore the financial requirement would be from Aug 15th 2021 to Aug 15th 2022 - the date you apply.
Your new extension even if granted on Aug 15th, would still be dated from the expiry date of your current permission of stay, Sept 15th 2022 - Sept 15th 2023.
You do not lose days by submitting early.

13 minutes ago, Cyberpixie said:

Good tip on the fixed deposit account. So they don't care if the 800K moves seamlessly from one account to another on the same date?

No, provided you transfer the funds, not withdraw then pay into another account.
Both Savings and Fixed term accounts are acceptable to Immigration, as are 'Foreign currency' accounts.

For your 2022 extension you would then provide both Passbooks, one stating the required funds up to the date of transfer, the other stating the funds from the date of transfer. As long as the funds are never withdrawn and remained in the bank, then you meet the requirements.

For further applications, 2023, you'd only require the one Passbook from the Fixed term account as the 800K would have remained in that account then for more than a year.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Cyberpixie said:

Correct re: the 800K. And in fact that is what I have done re the extra account: this BKK Bank account stays dormant and I have a K Bank account that I use for living expenses.

Thank you again :)

No need to keep more than 800K in the BKK account, you can safely withdraw anything above that amount.

Interest rates are not what they were several years ago.
I originally opened two account, one Savings for living expenses with debit card, the other a 12 month fixed term account with 800K. Each year I just renewed the 12 month term and left the interest to accrue.
After 3 years the interest alone was 46,000 BHT.

I now have an extension based on marriage where the financial requirement is only 400K for 2 months prior to the date of application, although I keep more than the requirement in that Fixed term account throughout the year and again let the interest compound each year.

• Like 1

My question is why do you need to show a confirmed air ticket not just an intended date of arrival?  Why should the Thailand government you want to pay for a visa in your name with no intention of using it?

Edited by Mamachigawa

5 hours ago, Guest1 said:

In general, imho, the tourist visa, single entry, was never a real problem to get, in surrounding countries.

The "usual" adress, to get one, even double entry tourist visas at that time, was for many years vientianne, Laos. 

But that was mostly via landboarder, freedome bridge and before covid rules.

I did hear rumors, that Phnom Phen, Cambodia, seems to open up for airtrips, to get "tourists" visas.

Just right now, no one has an idea how to comply with test&go or if there will be a loophole for people, fully vaccinated, coming from Thailand and only staying outside of Thailand for 2 or 3 days.

But I think, the visa industry will clear that in the coming weeks. And start anouncing this. To much money at stake.

No loophole. One must comply for every requirement to enter Cambodia and then must comply with every requirement to return to Thailand including $150 PCR test in Cambodia.  One guy I know went to Phnom Penh already and came back on a Test and Go Booking with Thailand pass. Upon return in Bangkok airport area hotel. Nonsense insurance and more tests

The new normal.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Cyberpixie said:

The title of my post is pretty self-explanatory. I am currently in Thailand on a retirement visa and long story short it's not quite right. This I discovered when I last renewed it - and it cost me at the Immigration office. I think the best long term solution is to exit the country, allow the visa to lapse, and then reenter on a tourist visa which I would then convert (using someone who knows what they're doing this time, haha).

Make sense so far?

So what I want to know is - I'm Canadian. Do I have to apply for this tourist visa in Canada? Or could I hop to, say, Vietnam, get it done at the embassy in Hanoi and then return? I'd rather not do a couple of trans-planetary flights until Omicron stops jumping up and down.

I have emailed said embassy in Hanoi but got a bounceback message which is why I am asking you fine folks.

I currently confused on what to do myself.

I entered on a Tourist Visa wanting to retire in Thailand, but don't want to put 800,000 in a Thai bank account just yet...as I want to leave my money in my Australian Super Fund earning interest.

Getting the 60 days covid extension but don't know what to do after that. Was going to go to Singapore to do the Special Tourist Visa but it is only for Singapore residents only. If I apply for another Tourist Visa in Singapore it takes 10 days. The Thai embassy in Singapore is only open 3 days a week (Tues, Wed, Thur)...so too expensive staying there for 3 to 4 weeks. 

My last resort was having to go back to Perth, Australia to apply for another visa.

What's my best bet?

Edited by ScottJamesinThailand

<misleading misinformative quote removed>

I have no income. I was on a disability pension in my own country, which payment was suspended 4 weeks after leaving Australia. It was no longer safe for me to live there after suffering PTSD.

I was forced into early retirement at 57...won't get the age pension until I turn 67yo.

Currently living off of my savings, little that I have. I can draw on my Super Fund tax free when I turn 59yo. I had already paid the government a huge amount of tax from my TPD payout - 20%. Don't wanna give the greedy bastards anymore money :-)

Edited by Faz
misleading/misinformative quote removed.

22 hours ago, ScottJamesinThailand said:

I entered on a Tourist Visa wanting to retire in Thailand, but don't want to put 800,000 in a Thai bank account just yet...as I want to leave my money in my Australian Super Fund earning interest.

Getting the 60 days covid extension but don't know what to do after that. Was going to go to Singapore to do the Special Tourist Visa but it is only for Singapore residents only. If I apply for another Tourist Visa in Singapore it takes 10 days. The Thai embassy in Singapore is only open 3 days a week (Tues, Wed, Thur)...so too expensive staying there for 3 to 4 weeks. 

My last resort was having to go back to Perth, Australia to apply for another visa.

What's my best bet?

You can't apply for a 1 year extension based on retirement from a Tourist Visa.
You'd need to first apply for a change of status, Tourist to Non Imm (O) at Immigration.
This requires 800K deposit  in a Thai bank. VE-TV to Non O Retirement.pdf  

Immigration have already announced their intention to cease issuing further Covid extensions other than for mitigating circumstances. Depending when your current Covid extension runs out you mat be refused further extensions.
236126985_Covidextensions.jpg.6fc14767c01b154c3c432d1f5d02305a.jpg

You therefore have limited choices:
1. At best you'll only receive another Tourist Visa from any local Thai Embassy, plus you'd have to meet any requirements of entry to that Country as well as the requirements to re-enter Thailand.

2. Bite the bullet, transfer 800K, apply for Non Imm (O), then apply for 1 year extension of stay based on retirement.

3. Go down the corrupt route.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Faz said:

You can't apply for a 1 year extension based on retirement from a Tourist Visa.
You'd need to first apply for a change of status, Tourist to Non Imm (O) at Immigration.
This requires 800K deposit  in a Thai bank. VE-TV to Non O Retirement.pdf  

Immigration have already announced their intention to cease issuing further Covid extensions other than for mitigating circumstances. Depending when your current Covid extension runs out you mat be refused further extensions.
236126985_Covidextensions.jpg.6fc14767c01b154c3c432d1f5d02305a.jpg

You therefore have limited choices:
1. At best you'll only receive another Tourist Visa from any local Thai Embassy, plus you'd have to meet any requirements of entry to that Country as well as the requirements to re-enter Thailand.

2. Bite the bullet, transfer 800K, apply for Non Imm (O), then apply for 1 year extension of stay based on retirement.

3. Go down the corrupt route.

Many thanks for your help. Very much appreciated 🙏

On 3/4/2022 at 3:01 PM, Mamachigawa said:

My question is why do you need to show a confirmed air ticket not just an intended date of arrival?

Confirmation because that date is also entered on your Thailand Pass.

On 3/4/2022 at 3:01 PM, Mamachigawa said:

Why should the Thailand government you want to pay for a visa in your name with no intention of using it?

No idea what you mean.
Why would you obtain a Visa you don't intend to use it.

8 minutes ago, Faz said:

Confirmation because that date is also entered on your Thailand Pass.

No idea what you mean.
Why would you obtain a Visa you don't intend to use it.

My response is not related to Thailand Pass application.

You have to show a confirmed air ticket to Thailand to  apply for the longstay visa. Why should Thailand care if I want to apply for an O-A visa in my country and pay $200 if I had no intention of using it? It would make sense if the Visa valid date the Embassy supplies starts with the day on your ticket you supply but it does not. The Visa valid date is the day they issue the visa.  Just a hassle and waste of visa validity period.

Edited by Mamachigawa

3 minutes ago, Mamachigawa said:

You have to show a confirmed air ticket to Thailand to  apply for the longstay visa. Why should Thailand care if I want to apply for an O-A visa in my country and pay $200 if I had no intention of using it? It would make sense if the Visa valid date the Embassy supplies starts with the day on your ticket you supply but it does not. The Visa valid date is the day they issue the visa.  Just a hassle and waste of visa validity period.

The Visa is valid to enter Thailand for 1 year, it doesn't affect how long you can stay on arrival.

10 minutes ago, Mamachigawa said:

Got it.

The Visa is valid for 1 year from the sate of issue.
If it was issued Jan 1st and expired Dec 31st, you can still enter on Dec 31st and you'll be granted permission of stay for 1 year.

12 minutes ago, Mamachigawa said:

Got it. Why should I have to show a ticket to Thailand to apply for a Visa to Thailand?

It's the Thai Embassies that set the requirements for a Visa application you'll have to ask them.
Sometimes there is no logic attached.