Has anyone experienced this?

Lyp14 [ctxa]

Today something extremely weird happened to me. 

So normally, I like keeping around the house a few pills of Zolpidem, for flights, etc... the last prescription I had was before COVID hit and I was running low of it. So today I went to the only private hospital in Bangkok which I've found to stock and dispense Zolpidem (this drug is not common in Thailand at all and I really do prefer it over anything else like Lormetazepam or whatever)... Anyway, let's call this place Hospital B (it's a private hospital ofc).

As soon as I arrived at Hospital B, they scanned my passport, informed me that my insurance wouldn't cover this (I knew it beforehand it wouldn't) and checked my vital signs. This is where things started to get weird. 

They gave me a thermometer inside a plastic bag and asked me to put in under my armpit, it beeps.... 37.6C... the nurse forces a laughter and said "maybe I was too warm from walking from the parking all the way to the hospital" (can a nurse really say this?? it's nonsense).... Anyway, they make me wait 5 minutes and repeat the procedure again.... 37.5C..... they make me wait another 5 minutes and it's 37.6C again....

... At which point they told me I would need to do a self paid COVID test before seeing the doctor. So, I politely declined and left this hospital. (Heck I know how I feel when I'm at 37.6C). 

Right away then, I drove to the private hospital that I always use, Hospital A, asked to see a doctor to get a prescription of sleeping meds (even though not Zolpidem), nurse checked my vital signs.... surprise... 36.5C first time no questions asked. 

I would want to think that the thermometer at Hospital B was somehow faulty without them knowing, but something inside me tells me those machines were somehow modified to give out a false temp reading and convince you to pay for a COVID test.

Has anyone experienced something similar? 

Edited by Lyp14 [ctxa]
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Lyp14 [ctxa] said:

They gave me a thermometer inside a plastic bag and asked me to put in under my armpit, it beeps.... 37.6C... the nurse forces a laughter and said "maybe I was too warm from walking from the parking all the way to the hospital" (can a nurse really say this?? it's nonsense).

No, it isn't "nonsense" & it was an accurate assessment - why do you say this?

A one degree variation wasn't significant, in your case 

37 minutes ago, Lyp14 [ctxa] said:

would want to think that the thermometer at Hospital B was somehow faulty without them knowing, but something inside me tells me those machines were somehow modified to give out a false temp reading and convince you to pay for a COVID test.

That sounds a bit too far- fetched.

Calm down...& be very careful with sleeping medication, please.

Lavender oil is very good for relaxation & it encourages sleep.

There are two vendors that I know of in BKK, that sell good quality essential oils. 

• Like 2

No I haven’t but  I went in for routine  lab work and they told me I needed to test for Covid ! 
I told them I was under the impression that if I stayed overnight they would require it  ,eventually I told them I didn’t want lab work and that i was going to go hone instead. They said if I wanted a blood ,urine ekg and chest xrays it would be ok but I couldn’t have a upper and lower ultrasound . So I did that instead.

No way am I leaving my self open for a false positive And be required to test again and then off to a Qroom!

The next day I went to a clinic and got my ultrasound ,no covid testing.

Have to be very careful now ,especially falangs,ca ching ca ching.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Faraday said:

A one degree variation wasn't significant, in your case 

Well, I don't believe walking 50 meters from where I parked my car to the elevator, and from there another 20 meters to the nurse station can raise my temperature over 1 degree. The body has mechanisms to cope with this (sweating for instance), so even the most of strenuous exercises shouldn't push your body temperature into the fever range, let alone normal walking for 70 meters... 

Of course, I know the way I feel at 37.6C or so, a little bit lightheaded and "butterflies in my stomach" (so to speak)... Not this time, why wouldn't I feel these symptoms if my real temperature was 37.6 effectively having a fever?

Like I said, I really don't want to think the worst.... but my obvious lack of any COVID & fever symptoms, paired with them pushing me to take a COVID test just to even see the doctor... does indeed make me think that it's just a scheme... Hope I'm wrong anyways. 

20 minutes ago, Faraday said:

There are two vendors that I know of in BKK, that sell good quality essential oils. 

Can you please explain more in detail about this? 

28 tablets of Zolpidem have lasted me almost 3 years. Of course, I only take them when it's absolutely necessary (flights, etc)... But I guess something natural to help sleep couldn't hurt provided I sleep and wake up very late so my rythms are a bit messed up.

Edited by Lyp14 [ctxa]

Some thermometers are not calibrated right, but considering the small variation, it probably was just your temperature, underarm thermometers aren't very accurate anyways.

Surprised people think they will get a false positive test, I've had plenty of covid tests done, never had a "false positive".

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dj230 said:

Surprised people think they will get a false positive test, I've had plenty of covid tests done, never had a "false positive".

Well, false positives can happen, although the rate is much much lower than what many believe. It is often manipulation that causes them, I guess. 

I once read people were pouring Coca-Cola on COVID tests to get a positive.

@Lyp14 [ctxa] 

Please see below information on body temperature.

"Normal body temperature ranges from 97.5°F to 98.9°F (36.4°C to 37.2°C). It tends to be lower in the morning and higher in the evening"

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/fever

Information on essential oils:

http://www.trueindustry.co.th/

• Like 2

First, I'd like to thank you for telling us your experience here. I could go into the clinical aspects of your experience here... but I won't. I have, what should be, a more salient comment to make. Consider this...

Consider that what this really boils down to is... Trust. Let that one word, in the context of our current Covid hysteria, really SINK IN... (take a few moments and really contemplate this). 

I'm what is called a Critical Care Paramedic from the United States and have been on the "frontlines" of all of this madness since the beginning. For purposes of brevity, allow me to suffice it and say, all of this, I'll use the kind word "overzealous" hyperactivity is entirely unnecessary (as you might now surmise, I have a lot more to say about this). I have a lot to say from an insider's point of view, but this is not the time or place (this platform) now is it. 

I would say you can TRUST me, but I won't ask you to do that. What I will ask you to do is, go look for yourself. It's a good time to engage your critical thinking skills. Good Luck humanity... the future isn't looking too bright if this madness is allowed to continue. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Lyp14 [ctxa] said:

Has anyone experienced something similar? 

Yes, I experience it every day. Where I work, if an employee has a temperature of 37.3 or higher, they’re sent home, paid. Using the “new” company thermometers, I’ve been between 33.2 (clinically dead?) and 36.2. Usually I score in the high 34s.

A complete farce, though in this case designed as a money saver, not maker.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Faraday said:

@Lyp14 [ctxa] 

Please see below information on body temperature.

"Normal body temperature ranges from 97.5°F to 98.9°F (36.4°C to 37.2°C). It tends to be lower in the morning and higher in the evening"

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/fever

Information on essential oils:

http://www.trueindustry.co.th/

<deleted content> The OP has already told you that he, like most of the rest of the world, would know if they have a temperature in the fever range. I’m sure that OP also knows what his normal temperature range is.

And of course common sense tells you not possible to have that much temperature change in such a short while.

<deleted content>

Edited by BigHewer
Sarcasm removed
  • Like 2

Zolpidem.  I am interested in knowing more about sleeping medications (not oils). When we fly to Thailand (9+ hours) during the late day/night the wife is asleep straight away as usual - and I sleep very little if at all. I have tried circadin (slow release melatonin) but it does not work - makes me tired, but not much sleep. Have any others tried Zolpidem or other sleep medications that work. 

24 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Zolpidem.  I am interested in knowing more about sleeping medications (not oils). When we fly to Thailand (9+ hours) during the late day/night the wife is asleep straight away as usual - and I sleep very little if at all. I have tried circadin (slow release melatonin) but it does not work - makes me tired, but not much sleep. Have any others tried Zolpidem or other sleep medications that work. 

One of the best natural sleep helpers is made from grapes.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BigHewer said:

Yes, I experience it every day. Where I work, if an employee has a temperature of 37.3 or higher, they’re sent home, paid. Using the “new” company thermometers, I’ve been between 33.2 (clinically dead?) and 36.2. Usually I score in the high 34s.

A complete farce, though in this case designed as a money saver, not maker.

'33.2 (clinically dead?)'     Hmm, that explains a lot. 🤣

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Zolpidem is an analogous drug to Benzodiazepines. That means it’s not a Benzodiazepine but it chemically “does the same” as one. 

Zolpidem was discovered trying to look for alternatives to Benzos that wouldn’t cause addiction. Now, there’s certain evidence that it is much harder to get addicted to Z-Drugs (like Zolpidem) than it is to Benzos. But the chance is still there. And many are addict to Zolpidem.

So you really don’t want to take more than one sporadic table every once in a long while. 

Also, Benzos have no effect on me. They may make me chilled, relaxed, groggy, but they never make me fall asleep. I’ve had different Benzo prescription from doctors (Lormetazepam, Amitryptline) and they’ve all gone to the rubbish bin cuz I find it impossible to fall asleep.

Only Zolpidem works for me, but be aware YMMV and every person reacts different to medicines. 

Also, sadly Z-Drugs unlike Benzos can cause sleep walking… it’s happened twice to me twice while taking Zolpidem.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Lyp14 [ctxa] said:

Well, false positives can happen, although the rate is much much lower than what many believe. It is often manipulation that causes them, I guess. 

I once read people were pouring Coca-Cola on COVID tests to get a positive.

oh, I remember that. It was even done from a member of the National Council of Austria, Michael Schnedlitz. And answered from the company, that produced the used test:

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-coca-cola-positive-covid-te-idUSKBN28W20Q

2 hours ago, BigHewer said:

Using the “new” company thermometers, I’ve been between 33.2 (clinically dead?) and 36.2. Usually I score in the high 34s.

I guess that are infrared thermometers, right? Check the switch for "body/object" (or surface), perhaps?

4 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

I guess that are infrared thermometers, right? Check the switch for "body/object" (or surface), perhaps?

I am certain they are set incorrectly to ensure a lower reading.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mynemesis said:

The OP has already told you that he, like most of the rest of the world, would know if they have a temperature in the fever range. I’m sure that OP also knows what his normal temperature range is.

And of course common sense tells you not possible to have that much temperature change in such a short while.

By the way, congrats on you ‘promotion’ to the elevated status of a mod.

His slight temperature variation was within normal limits, & very possible that it did fluctuate.

I was reassuring the OP, that there was nothing to be concerned about.

But thank you for comments.

2 hours ago, Faraday said:

His slight temperature variation was within normal limits, & very possible that it did fluctuate.

I was reassuring the OP, that there was nothing to be concerned about.

But thank you for comments.

No problem, happy to have helped, 

2 hours ago, Lyp14 [ctxa] said:

Zolpidem is an analogous drug to Benzodiazepines. That means it’s not a Benzodiazepine but it chemically “does the same” as one. 

Zolpidem was discovered trying to look for alternatives to Benzos that wouldn’t cause addiction. Now, there’s certain evidence that it is much harder to get addicted to Z-Drugs (like Zolpidem) than it is to Benzos. But the chance is still there. And many are addict to Zolpidem.

So you really don’t want to take more than one sporadic table every once in a long while. 

Also, Benzos have no effect on me. They may make me chilled, relaxed, groggy, but they never make me fall asleep. I’ve had different Benzo prescription from doctors (Lormetazepam, Amitryptline) and they’ve all gone to the rubbish bin cuz I find it impossible to fall asleep.

Only Zolpidem works for me, but be aware YMMV and every person reacts different to medicines. 

Also, sadly Z-Drugs unlike Benzos can cause sleep walking… it’s happened twice to me twice while taking Zolpidem.

Only one thing better than the sleep of the just, the sleep of the just after… tell Ms Julian..,

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mynemesis said:

No problem, happy to have helped, 

Had my ears checked too, & there was absolutely no sign of anything amiss at all.

Edited by BigHewer
Reference to deleted content removed
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Lyp14 [ctxa] said:

They gave me a thermometer inside a plastic bag and asked me to put in under my armpit, it beeps.... 37.6C... the nurse forces a laughter and said "maybe I was too warm from walking from the parking all the way to the hospital" (can a nurse really say this?? it's nonsense).... Anyway, they make me wait 5 minutes and repeat the procedure again.... 37.5C..... they make me wait another 5 minutes and it's 37.6C again....

at this point I'd have asked the nurse to place the thermometer between her jugs to see if it was working correctly ..

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Faraday said:

I imagine that he is saying it because a core temp reading has very little to do with being outside in the heat.  If he did mean that then he is right, a nurse should know that. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Dedinbed said:

at this point I'd have asked the nurse to place the thermometer between her jugs to see if it was working correctly ..

good luck with that in Thailand 

23 minutes ago, Dedinbed said:

To see if what was working correctly, exactly?

• Haha 1