400,000 baht for Marriage Visa

Bangkok

8 minutes ago, Bangkok said:

What happens if your Thai bank balance goes below 400,000 baht within 3 months of applying for a marriage visa extension?

You then would need to go and pay an agent a bit more as usual, to deal with that

1 hour ago, Bangkok said:

What happens if your Thai bank balance goes below 400,000 baht within 3 months of applying for a marriage visa extension?

For an extension based on Thai spouse the 400,000 BHT funds are only required to be in the account for 2 months prior to the date of application.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Faz said:

For an extension based on Thai spouse the 400,000 BHT funds are only required to be in the account for 2 months prior to the date of application.

The funds have been in there for more than 10 years but went below 400k this month but now back above 400k. The only problem is i need to extend this week. I have funds coming in but only 30k this month, last month it was 70k.

6 minutes ago, OOber said:

Alternatively, you can show proof of income in Thailand if you have a work permit. That goes for the spousal visa too.

I don't have a work permit. Some funds come in via PayPal, other funds into my foreign bank account.

11 minutes ago, Bangkok said:

The funds have been in there for more than 10 years but went below 400k this month but now back above 400k. The only problem is i need to extend this week. I have funds coming in but only 30k this month, last month it was 70k.

It's either 12 x 40K THB international transfers, or 400K for 2 months prior to the date of application.
A combination of funds and income is not permitted for extensions based on Thai spouse.

Why this week, when does your current extension expire?

12 minutes ago, Faz said:

It's either 12 x 40K THB international transfers, or 400K for 2 months prior to the date of application.
A combination of funds and income is not permitted for extensions based on Thai spouse.

Why this week, when does your current extension expire?

Next week. So i assume they'll decline my application once they see the bank statement?

Edited by Bangkok

6 minutes ago, Bangkok said:

Next week. So i assume they'll decline my application once they see the bank statement?

If you fell below 400K within the last 2 months, almost certainly.

They could if feeling generous and pitiful grant you a 60 day Covid extension, which would allow your 400K to season for the required 2 months before applying for the 1 year extension.

52 minutes ago, Bangkok said:

That was ,how I did read your initial post. Since it is highly unlikely, that someone has already  400k  in a bank and running low but still hasn't applied for getting his first extension, my bet was on extending an  extension.

So check with a  visa agent, what can be done about it. 

Even if it is not by the books, it is a usual way for these agents to make extensions happen. 

The legal way would be, to start over with the extension. Which would, imho, need you to get out of Thailand ,get another  non  O visa, or an extempt entry, to switch that later to an Non O and to extend that afterwards. Just with the restrictions to enter Thailand, right now, sandbox, test&go&test, not sure if you are up for that.

Or can a covid visa be changed to a   Non-O.

Will he get one? Is he qualified?

the money needs to be in the bank 2 months prior to application when does your current extension finish, what date was the money topped up to 400,000thb,

have you had a 60 day 'Thai@ wife extension since last entering Thailand.

14 hours ago, cockneyboy said:

the money needs to be in the bank 2 months prior to application when does your current extension finish, what date was the money topped up to 400,000thb,

have you had a 60 day 'Thai@ wife extension since last entering Thailand.

Finishes next week. I topped it up last week. I have never had a 60 day extension. Maybe i can get a 60 day extension and then renew or a 30 day extension and convert that to a 90-day Non-Immigrant Visa and then apply for a marriage visa. I have converted a 30 day tourist visa to a 90-day Non-Immigrant Visa before. I forget the number but i think it's a TM86? Anyone know?

Edited by Bangkok

24 minutes ago, Bangkok said:

Finishes next week. I topped it up last week. I have never had a 60 day extension. Maybe i can get a 60 day extension and then renew or a 30 day extension and convert that to a 90-day Non-Immigrant Visa and then apply for a marriage visa. I have converted a 30 day tourist visa to a 90-day Non-Immigrant Visa before. I forget the number but i think it's a TM86? Anyone know?

If you have an extension of stay based on marriage then your already Non Imm status.

If they refuse your extension application, they should give you 7 days to leave the Country.
You can re-enter VE as a Tourist, then apply for Non Imm status again (Non O) before applying for the extension again. Procedure here: VE-TV to Non O Spouse.pdf 

A word of advice. I'm also on an extension of stay based on Thai spouse.
I also use the 'funds' method, but to prevent accidentally going under the 400K, I keep my funds for Immigration purposes separate in a 'Fixed term' deposit account all year round. No debit card, only Passbook.
Savings account for daily living expenses, with debit card.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Faz said:

If you have an extension of stay based on marriage then your already Non Imm status.

If they refuse your extension application, they should give you 7 days to leave the Country.
You can re-enter VE as a Tourist, then apply for Non Imm status again (Non O) before applying for the extension again. Procedure here: VE-TV to Non O Spouse.pdf 

A word of advice. I'm also on an extension of stay based on Thai spouse.
I also use the 'funds' method, but to prevent accidentally going under the 400K, I keep my funds for Immigration purposes separate in a 'Fixed term' deposit account all year round. No debit card, only Passbook.

Keeping the 405K in a separate bank account and not using it for daily expenditures is a good strategy - in fact I would use a separate banks. The +5K is for bank charges etc. - I know a bloke whose balance was taken under 400K when his bank issued him a new ATM card and they withdrew 300Baht 'fee' and he was denied extension - he went through the out/in and tourist visa and conversion/extension. What a joke - he has lived in Thailand over 10 years and has kids etc.

Question please - How long after the extension is granted does the 400K have to remain in the bank account. Some say you can use those funds after 2 months and some say it is 3 months and some say immediately. I was previously on O-A Visa for years and decided not to bother to change - but the next long stay will be O Marriage.

9 hours ago, Faz said:

Didn't know there was another way to do it....My marraige visa is a top priority.  I do not touch those funds. Sorry that doesn't help Bangkok, but good advice IMO for the future.

1 hour ago, AussieBob said:

Keeping the 405K in a separate bank account and not using it for daily expenditures is a good strategy - in fact I would use a separate banks. The +5K is for bank charges etc. - I know a bloke whose balance was taken under 400K when his bank issued him a new ATM card and they withdrew 300Baht 'fee' and he was denied extension - he went through the out/in and tourist visa and conversion/extension. What a joke - he has lived in Thailand over 10 years and has kids etc.

I recommend keeping the 400K separate in a 'Fixed Term' deposit account (3,6,9,12,24, 36 month terms).
There is no debit card, therefore no charges, only the interest applied at the end of a term.

1 hour ago, AussieBob said:

Question please - How long after the extension is granted does the 400K have to remain in the bank account. Some say you can use those funds after 2 months and some say it is 3 months and some say immediately. I was previously on O-A Visa for years and decided not to bother to change - but the next long stay will be O Marriage.

The only financial requirement using the 400K funds method is the funds must be in a Thai bank account in the applicant sole name for 2 months prior to the date of application.
As extensions based on Thai spouse have to be approved at regional level, again I recommend waiting until the extension stamp is issued at which point you can if you so wish withdraw and use the full 400K.
There is no requirement to keep those funds after the extension is granted based on Thai spouse, unlike extensions based on retirement which require funds to remain in the account after the extension is granted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, BainaiThai said:

Didn't know there was another way to do it....My marraige visa is a top priority.  I do not touch those funds. Sorry that doesn't help Bangkok, but good advice IMO for the future.

Provide the funds in an account are immediate accessible in the event of an emergency, Immigration will accept that account type. Typically;
1. A 'Savings' account - comes with debit card, must be careful not to fall below the 400K in the 2 months prior to submitting an extension application, charges apply.
2 A 'Fixed Term' account - no debit card, no charges, better interest rate, funds can only be withdrawn by presentation of the Passbook at a counter.
3 'Foreign currency' account (Deposit or Fixed term types available).

I have used the 'Fixed' term account for the previous 9 years, firstly for extensions based on retirement, then for Thai spouse. The interest is now automatically taxed, which I reclaim every year.
My wife also has access to the account via 'Power of Attorney' but her name doesn't appear on the account.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Faz said:

I recommend keeping the 400K separate in a 'Fixed Term' deposit account (3,6,9,12,24, 36 month terms).
There is no debit card, therefore no charges, only the interest applied at the end of a term.

The only financial requirement using the 400K funds method is the funds must be in a Thai bank account in the applicant sole name for 2 months prior to the date of application.
As extensions based on Thai spouse have to be approved at regional level, again I recommend waiting until the extension stamp is issued at which point you can if you so wish withdraw and use the full 400K.
There is no requirement to keep those funds after the extension is granted based on Thai spouse, unlike extensions based on retirement which require funds to remain in the account after the extension is granted.

2 hours ago, Faz said:

Provide the funds in an account are immediate accessible in the event of an emergency, Immigration will accept that account type. Typically;
1. A 'Savings' account - comes with debit card, must be careful not to fall below the 400K in the 2 months prior to submitting an extension application, charges apply.
2 A 'Fixed Term' account - no debit card, no charges, better interest rate, funds can only be withdrawn by presentation of the Passbook at a counter.
3 'Foreign currency' account (Deposit or Fixed term types available).

I have used the 'Fixed' term account for the previous 9 years, firstly for extensions based on retirement, then for Thai spouse. The interest is now automatically taxed, which I reclaim every year.
My wife also has access to the account via 'Power of Attorney' but her name doesn't appear on the account.

Thanks Faz - great advice and filed for later.

Thinking about things in future, I have always thought that Health Insurance in Thailand was an even worse rip-off than the health insurance industry here in Aust.  But the good thing about Aust is that they are not allowed to increase premiums at will, and they cannot refuse coverage as one gets older - which is not the case in Thailand.  My plan was to look into getting an accident-only type insurance policy with a huge excess, for use only if we have something like a big car accident and it will cost millions of baht. While renewing that yearly, I was thinking of depositing what would be about the annual insurance fee for a decent full medical insurance policy into a bank account, and then topping that up every year so that it grows and grows.  Then if we need to pay for any larger medical expenses (not a car accident etc.) we can use that pool of money.  And the big advantage is that after 10 or 15 years (if not used a lot), there would be a large amount of money available for medical and/or other things. Perhaps I could combine those two together - the min 400K for extension and the planned medical pool fund.  Any thoughts on that Faz? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AussieBob said:

My plan was to look into getting an accident-only type insurance policy with a huge excess, for use only if we have something like a big car accident and it will cost millions of baht.

Hardly likely to run into millions of baht unless you use a private hospital.
I have A1 car and motorcycle Insurance, covers the cost of car repair (up to it's market value) and medical costs up to 5M baht.

3 hours ago, AussieBob said:

I was thinking of depositing what would be about the annual insurance fee for a decent full medical insurance policy into a bank account, and then topping that up every year so that it grows and grows.  Then if we need to pay for any larger medical expenses (not a car accident etc.) we can use that pool of money.  And the big advantage is that after 10 or 15 years (if not used a lot), there would be a large amount of money available for medical and/or other things.

It's a personal choice whether you take out a Health Insurance policy or if you have the funds 'self' insure.
I prefer the 'self' insure method myself. I have acquaintances that took out Health Insurance starting at 50K per annum. After 2 small claims (not much more than the excess) the premiums went to 80K, then 120K respectively and of course they were exempt from claiming for the same treatment.
In 9 years, I've had two surgical op's, both at the local Government hospital at a total cost of around 30K.
On an average of 80K per annum for a Health Insurance policy (which increases by age) I've saved an average of around 690K so far by self insuring. I had no existing health issues, still don't!

3 hours ago, AussieBob said:

Perhaps I could combine those two together - the min 400K for extension and the planned medical pool fund.  Any thoughts on that Faz? 

I actually keep more than the min 400K I require for an extension based on Thai spouse in a 12 month 'fixed' term account, which I just renew each year. When I'm gone it's the wife's to do with as she pleases.
She has immediate access being a signature on the account.

I prefer to keep my finances separate from each other, your mileage may vary, it's a personal choice.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, BainaiThai said:

Where do you request the tax rebate from your fixed account.  did not know I could do that.

You register for tax purposes at your local tax office.
Tax accounts (payments/refunds) are submitted between Jan - March from the previous year.
All types of accounts are now automatically taxed at 15% on any interest paid. 

Each year I request a receipt of interest paid and tax dedusted from my Savings and Fixed term account, then submit to my local tax office. They handle everything. Takes several weeks to receive any refund.
You can only reclaim if your Country has a double taxation agreement with Thailand.
Any interest you receive to your accounts is deemed as 'income' derived in Thailand, however because it's below the 'personal allowance' limit, it's reclaimable.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Faz said:

Hardly likely to run into millions of baht unless you use a private hospital.
I have A1 car and motorcycle Insurance, covers the cost of car repair (up to it's market value) and medical costs up to 5M baht.

It's a personal choice whether you take out a Health Insurance policy or if you have the funds 'self' insure.
I prefer the 'self' insure method myself. I have acquaintances that took out Health Insurance starting at 50K per annum. After 2 small claims (not much more than the excess) the premiums went to 80K, then 120K respectively and of course they were exempt from claiming for the same treatment.
In 9 years, I've had two surgical op's, both at the local Government hospital at a total cost of around 30K.
On an average of 80K per annum for a Health Insurance policy (which increases by age) I've saved an average of around 690K so far by self insuring. I had no existing health issues, still don't!

I actually keep more than the min 400K I require for an extension based on Thai spouse in a 12 month 'fixed' term account, which I just renew each year. When I'm gone it's the wife's to do with as she pleases.
She has immediate access being a signature on the account.

I prefer to keep my finances separate from each other, your mileage may vary, it's a personal choice.

Thanks Faz - much appreciated. 

Car insurance including medical coverage sounds like a good idea. 

15 minutes ago, Faz said:

You register for tax purposes at your local tax office.
Tax accounts (payments/refunds) are submitted between Jan - March from the previous year.
All types of accounts are now automatically taxed at 15% on any interest paid. 

Each year I request a receipt of interest paid and tax dedusted from my Savings and Fixed term account, then submit to my local tax office. They handle everything. Takes several weeks to receive any refund.
You can only reclaim if your Country has a double taxation agreement with Thailand.
Any interest you receive to your accounts is deemed as 'income' derived in Thailand, however because it's below the 'personal allowance' limit, it's reclaimable.

More great advice Faz - thanks.  May I ask what is the personal allowance limit.   

17 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

More great advice Faz - thanks.  May I ask what is the personal allowance limit.   

Thais can claim all kinds of allowances, but even several years ago the basic tax allowance was 30.000 BHT per annum. If the tax on your interest is anywhere near that per annum you'd have some serious funds in a Thai bank. 😂
Mine is typically no more than 3K per annum (Tax on interest).
Some claim it's not worth the hassle, my local tax office is no more than 10 minutes away.
You can reclaim up to the previous 5 years, but pay a 200BHT late filing fee for each year.

There is no fee from the bank for the 'interest and tax' paid form and no charge for submitting within the time frame.

• Thanks 1