Visa exempt extensions and possibility of changing visa types

Travelo

Hi,

A couple of questions about visa exempt and possible extensions?

Can I extend this to 60 days or just 30 days? I heard this 60 days has been pushed backed to March 26th or something as it was due to end

Can I convert a visa exempt to an Education visa?

I'm from  from Perth, so they are not opening the border next week anymore, I'm afraid I'll be stuck in Thailand for months.. which is fine, but I need the right visas. I'm not sure how I could stay for more then 60-90 days without applying for a longer visa before I leave. Perth is so crazy..for me to return to Australia I have to fly  to Sydney and wait there to get approval to go back to Perth, and then quarantine for 2 weeks. I would rather just stay in Thailand for 3-6 months for when Perth does open (we are just starting an omicron outbreak.)

If you could let me know how I can arrive on a visa exempt then extend this out  that would be great.

I'm due to arrive on Feb 5th, I have Thai pass, hotel etc all booked.  I don't have the time to apply for an STV unless i cancel my trip and re-book in a month.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Travelo
more info added
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Travelo said:

Can I convert a visa exempt to an Education visa?

No.

What the normal procedure would be is to decide on your length of stay first then apply for the appropriate Visa, before applying for the Thailand Pass. In your case the STV would have been the obvious choice.

If you enter Feb 5th VE, you'll be granted permission of stay until March 6th. You can extend that stay for a further 30 days until April 4th.
The current cut of date for 60 day Covid extensions is March 26th. You will be able to apply for that 60 day Covid extension prior to your then permission of stay date, and prior to March 26th. That will permit you to stay until May 2nd.

Beyond that date there are no guarantees to stay longer, unless they extend the Covid extension application date once again, or a land border reopens. It's totally unpredictable what the situation will be come April.
One final option is to change your Tourist status entry to a Non Immigrant status but you'd need to open a Thai bank account in your name and transfer the equivalent of 800,000 BHT.

Thanks for your reply. I didn't apply for the STV as the government had promised to open on the 5th of Feb and changed this last week..If they had kept their promise I wouldn't be in this dilemma as the normal exempt visa would have been fine, my intention was not to stay more then 60 days.

I think the STV option is probably the best and safest option due to the changes.

Are you sure about the education visa? Can this only be extended on a 60day tourist visa?

Appreciate your response.

Thanks for your reply. I didn't apply for the STV as the government had promised to open on the 5th of Feb and changed this last week..If they had kept their promise I wouldn't be in this dilemma as the normal exempt visa would have been fine, my intention was not to stay more then 60 days.

I think the STV option is probably the best and safest option due to the changes.

Are you sure about the education visa? Can this only be extended on a 60day tourist visa?

Appreciate your response.

Can you please clarify this ? "change your Tourist status entry to a Non Immigrant status but you'd need to open a Thai bank account in your name and transfer the equivalent of 800,000 BHT." What visa is this exactaly"

He means to apply for a Non-Immigrant "O" visa when in Thailand. Qualifying criteria is (1) retirement (you must be older than 50) or (2) married to a Thai. In the latter case 400,000 BHT is enough 🙎‍♂️

• Like 1