News Forum - What is life like in Thailand right now? | GMT

Thaiger

What is life like in Thailand right now in this pandemic era? Thailand has suffered like most countries due to the pandemic, but what is life really like when you arrive and live in Thailand? How is business, tourism, lifestyle and entertainment like? We also look at the current Omicron situation in Thailand and how it differs to the rest of the world as well as some fun and entertaining stories from across the country. Watch Good morning thailand and find out with Jay and Tim.

The story What is life like in Thailand right now? | GMT as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

55 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

What is life like in Thailand right now in this pandemic era? Thailand has suffered like most countries due to the pandemic, but what is life really like when you arrive and live in Thailand? How is business, tourism, lifestyle and entertainment like? We also look at the current Omicron situation in Thailand and how it differs to the rest of the world as well as some fun and entertaining stories from across the country. Watch Good morning thailand and find out with Jay and Tim.

The story What is life like in Thailand right now? | GMT as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I live in the rural north and life hasn't  changed greatly. Less traffic and some places closed, but there were always places going out of business.  The big changes are less crowds and wearing a mask when going out. Otherwise little has changed for me

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Depends how you live your life here.  If its bars/gogos/bar girls you want, its not so good, but if its just general living, ease of life and comfort, in a tropical setting,  then its never been better in my view.  Tourist numbers are way down, so therefore is traffic, especially coaches, no Chinese, beaches are empty ish, restaurants are still good, travelling around is easy.  It knock's spots off most locations in the World right now. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

I live in the rural north and life hasn't  changed greatly. Less traffic and some places closed, but there were always places going out of business.  The big changes are less crowds and wearing a mask when going out. Otherwise little has changed for me

Because you, and most farangs, still in the country, don't need tourism money, to survive.

If you, people are on pensions , money flow from outside Thailand, what should change?

Right, masks, less traffic, less social contacts.

Thats it.

On Phuket, I start to miss that already!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Depends how you live your life here.  If its bars/gogos/bar girls you want, its not so good, but if its just general living, ease of life and comfort, in a tropical setting,  then its never been better in my view.  Tourist numbers are way down, so therefore is traffic, especially coaches, no Chinese, beaches are empty ish, restaurants are still good, travelling around is easy.  It knock's spots off most locations in the World right now. 

Your correct. I'm not into bars and gogo stuff. Those areas are devastated and many have gone broke. We do have a few people who have returned home in the past 2 years, but they quickly blend in.

35 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

I know one bloke also living in a small rural village and he says it is almost the same as before - not a lot of changes - except that prices have gone up for most things.  Rural people worldwide have a very pragmatic view on life - they deal with the unpredictable things that always have and always will happen, and they move on with their lives. In Thailand they do it more positively and cooperatively than most others. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Great place to live for sure - except for all the things being closed in the big cities (which we loved).  Not such a good idea to visit it for a short holiday though.   A 2-3 months holiday would be fantastic - with planning for a possible 7-14 day break for a quarantine or treatment - wish I could do it right now.  Just the thought of 'no Chinese' everywhere makes me jealous of those living there now.  Pity about the smoke season starting right now up north - but down south would be good.  I know a bloke living on Phuket and he reckons it is great, except for the bars being closed (well mostly closed). 

For me being in CM it is actually really ok when concidering no Chinese overkill of tourists here which amounts to too many in groups, too many rented Vans and way too many Buses carting them around everywhere, so this results to less traffic footwise, them on motorbikes making danger eveywhere and less vehicles on the general for everything. This is glorious! Don't get me wrong, there are still Chinese here with their familes and stuff and this is fine, but not the overkill. I would be ok with the yester-year's type of tourism returning without the overkill of one way way over the top race. 

No bars really open for a once in a while good fun night out and no associates or friends visiting is a down side. Also I don't travel like I used to which hurts.

My kids are seriously missing out on their University on campus time (zero) which should be the best time of their lives with their friends with life and fun. I feel sorry for them as they will never ever get that back. Damn CCP virus has ruined and messed up a lot of the young generations lives. Even in their own country I would gather.

As for all the shops and restaurants and stuff that cater to toursim, well maybe many - most of these are probably transplants from not being from CM and then coming here opening up to sell explicitly for the overkill of the Chinese tourism, so I really don't care about them at all and happy to see them go. CM may actually get back to a nice real balance catering to a mixed bunch of tourists like the old days, but the worst that makes me sad is what has happened to my kids which is something they will never ever be able to get back or replace.

• Like 2

We spent Christmas Day on the beach, in 30 degrees, on one of the Islands, swimming, snorkeling and having a beach BBQ, on a near deserted beach .  Enough said. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LoongFred said:

Same same here - little change over a couple years. Some restrictions and instinctive mitigation....but life hasn't dramatically changed much. I suspect this is more common than not throughout the provinces and upcountry situations. 

As Pinetree has noted, will differ from locale and lifestyle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AussieBob said:

I know one bloke also living in a small rural village and he says it is almost the same as before - not a lot of changes - except that prices have gone up for most things.  Rural people worldwide have a very pragmatic view on life - they deal with the unpredictable things that always have and always will happen, and they move on with their lives. In Thailand they do it more positively and cooperatively than most others. 

Indeed. Stable social, familial and community extensions can be quite beneficial. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

We spent Christmas Day on the beach, in 30 degrees, on one of the Islands, swimming, snorkeling and having a beach BBQ, on a near deserted beach .  Enough said. 

Oh - ok-go ahead, why don't you just rub it in some more! Next you will say the margaritas were made with fresh fruit a well treated monkey got from the vine.

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Oh - ok-go ahead, why don't you just rub it in some more! Next you will say the margaritas were made with fresh fruit a well treated monkey got from the vine.

Brandy sours mostly 

14 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Brandy sours mostly 

Ok, there ya go with the Brandy sours. Next you will be talking about nice smooth sipping cognac.

You just gave me a next gonna try one on the beach. That should be in a few weeks when things calm down.

14 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Ok, there ya go with the Brandy sours. Next you will be talking about nice smooth sipping cognac.

You just gave me a next gonna try one on the beach. That should be in a few weeks when things calm down.

I also remember a rather nice 15 year old malt whiskey doing the rounds. 

Well the young lady of the house and myself were looking forward to our Friday and or Saturday night out at Derm Sook  and Happy Nights bar and restaurant with live music!.Unfortunately they stopped again.

It seems like a long time ago since we were there last .

Looking forward to the beach in the near future  and the Usa in 2023 without any hoops to jump through coming back to Thailand !

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

I also remember a rather nice 15 year old malt whiskey doing the rounds. 

Hmmmm. Also good for me. At home I have a very nice single malt scotch and a nice blended, but both of reasonable nice character and different makers.

It's amazing 2 years after the outbreak of covid to listen to Jay and Tim talking about how "well" asia have been handling Covid. Then they bringing up the "Worldometer" report which clearly show that those countries with many cases typically have test strategies based on many tests, but they not even bother to mention that, but of course it's not funny to "Flash your dirty underwear".

Since fare most of the positive cases is asymptomatic and have not required hospitalisation is like comparing apples and bananas. Thailand only test in an area where there has been registered a covid case whereas e.g. some european countries is testing everybody that want to be tested for free.

"Seek and ye shall  find"

as an American when i go to the Bluport mall in Hua Hin and see the huge number of Ford Ranger pickup trucks on the highway and walk past the Dairy Queen and Swensons and KFC and Burger King I am reminded i am not in the States anymore. i am really way out in the jungle somewhere. no doubt if i let my guard down i will come  face to face with a king cobra.

Since the borders opened up sometimes there is a Russian family in front of me at the salad bar at Gourmet Market and I have to wait for them to get out of my way. 

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Pinetree said:

That actually sounds horrible to me!

I've spent 2 Xmas in Thailand and just not for me.

I like Xmas at home in the cold.......

But to each's own............

33 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

as an American when i go to the Bluport mall in Hua Hin and see the huge number of Ford Ranger pickup trucks on the highway and walk past the Dairy Queen and Swensons and KFC and Burger King I am reminded i am not in the States anymore. i am really way out in the jungle somewhere. no doubt if i let my guard down i will come  face to face with a king cobra.

Since the borders opened up sometimes there is a Russian family in front of me at the salad bar at Gourmet Market and I have to wait for them to get out of my way. 

If you got to Burger King, then Swenson's..............that would cost you more than what a proper meal in the US would!

But fcuk I love Swenson's!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

For me being in CM it is actually really ok when concidering no Chinese overkill of tourists here which amounts to too many in groups, too many rented Vans and way too many Buses carting them around everywhere, so this results to less traffic footwise, them on motorbikes making danger eveywhere and less vehicles on the general for everything. This is glorious! Don't get me wrong, there are still Chinese here with their familes and stuff and this is fine, but not the overkill. I would be ok with the yester-year's type of tourism returning without the overkill of one way way over the top race. 

No bars really open for a once in a while good fun night out and no associates or friends visiting is a down side. Also I don't travel like I used to which hurts.

My kids are seriously missing out on their University on campus time (zero) which should be the best time of their lives with their friends with life and fun. I feel sorry for them as they will never ever get that back. Damn CCP virus has ruined and messed up a lot of the young generations lives. Even in their own country I would gather.

As for all the shops and restaurants and stuff that cater to toursim, well maybe many - most of these are probably transplants from not being from CM and then coming here opening up to sell explicitly for the overkill of the Chinese tourism, so I really don't care about them at all and happy to see them go. CM may actually get back to a nice real balance catering to a mixed bunch of tourists like the old days, but the worst that makes me sad is what has happened to my kids which is something they will never ever be able to get back or replace.

Good view and not always the view of some pensioners who have no kids here or have to care for their families here. This peopke also not think about all these families who lost their businesses or incomes in Thailand. Sure with a pension from western countries everything is allright and shows they not know about the circumstances of Thaifamilies or the situation from the kids and younger generation in Thailand is at the moment. And the situation from the students of the universities or the ones who finished but the companies not hire at the moment, etc etc. They have big worries about their future and the future of the country.

24 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

If you got to Burger King, then Swenson's..............that would cost you more than what a proper meal in the US would!

But fcuk I love Swenson's!!

i don't eat in any of those places but my girlfriend loves Swenson's. Pint of Lime Sherbet in the frig right now. i hope see comes back.    

10 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

As for all the shops and restaurants and stuff that cater to toursim, well maybe many - most of these are probably transplants from not being from CM and then coming here opening up to sell explicitly for the overkill of the Chinese tourism, so I really don't care about them at all and happy to see them go. CM may actually get back to a nice real balance catering to a mixed bunch of tourists like the old days, but the worst that makes me sad is what has happened to my kids which is something they will never 

Edited by titanyak