How to register the US Marriage Certificate in Thailand?

NP1

I am in need of a step by step instruction on how to have my US marriage certificate registered in Thailand so we can apply for the visa for my husband. We are planning to stay in Thailand for a while to help take care of my parents.  We have been married for a long time but haven't had a chance to do it each time we went home.  We are still in the States so we would like to know what is needed so we can get them all prepare when we go home.

• Like 1

I did the official marriage myself in Thailand for my Thai wife - I would never do that again - but I would pay an agent.  However your situation is even more complicated by the sound of it.  

I would approach the USA Thai Embassy and ask what they need for your husband to be granted a 12 month Non-O Visa for reason of marriage, and apply for that Visa in USA.  Once you arrive, then I believe that it is simply a matter of registering your marriage at the local Amphur Office - I would go and ask them what is needed to do that, immediately after you arrive. 

Then regarding extending the permission to stay under the 'marriage Visa' - again I would go see the local Immigration Office after you arrive and have the marriage certification from the Amphur, and ask what they will need to extend the 'permission to stay' in the future. 

Things change in Thailand quickly - advice on that process now may not be valid in 1 3 6 9 months time - but there are certain things that are required.  This is as good as anything about it all - but you will need to research things for yourself - or use a 'visa agent':

4 hours ago, NP1 said:

We are planning to stay in Thailand for a while to help take care of my parents.

Can I make an assumption that your Thai and he's not? If this is the case there's I believe proof to be shown (as Thailand still believes the male is the care taker of the family) at minimum that he has 500K in a Thai Bank account. My wife Russian (Non-O) and myself Dutch (Non-B) came away with me being on a Non-B which had sufficient funds as annual income (600K).

Anyways good luck!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NP1 said:

I am in need of a step by step instruction on how to have my US marriage certificate registered in Thailand so we can apply for the visa for my husband.

You can use your US marriage certificate to apply for a Visa at a Thai Embassy/Consulate to enter Thailand.
I assume it's your intention to apply for the Non O Visa based on marriage?

Now, depending on your intended length of stay in Thailand and your husband intends to apply for 1 year extensions of stay based on marriage then you will need to register your US marriage at a local Amphoe in Thailand.

Basically you need to get your US marriage certificate 'authenticated', in the US, then 'certified' by the Thai Embassy/Consulate whilst in the US.
On arrival in Thailand have the US Embassy issue a 'certified' copy of your husbands US Passport.
Have the Passport copy and US marriage certificate translated to Thai, then have them 'legalised' by the Consular section of Thailand's Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

You can then take these 'legalised' documents to your local Amphoe to register your foreign marriage.
https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/notaries-public/authentication-procedure/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shark said:

Can I make an assumption that your Thai and he's not?

I would have thought that was pretty obvious @NP1 original post. If her husband was Thai why would he be required to apply for a Visa to enter Thailand. 🙄

1 hour ago, Shark said:

If this is the case there's I believe proof to be shown (as Thailand still believes the male is the care taker of the family) at minimum that he has 500K in a Thai Bank account.

Your way ahead of her question and the financial requirement you quoted is;
a). For a 1 year extension of stay based on marriage to a Thai, and
b). It's 400K THB in a Thai bank account.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Faz said:

I would have thought that was pretty obvious @NP1 original post. If her husband was Thai why would he be required to apply for a Visa to enter Thailand. 🙄

can still be that both are non Thai. I mean life is like a box of chocolate.

1 hour ago, Faz said:

Your way ahead of her question and the financial requirement you quoted is;
a). For a 1 year extension of stay based on marriage to a Thai, and
b). It's 400K THB in a Thai bank account.

I love to be ahead, anyways this wasn't married to a Thai it's married to a foreigner (As I'm not Thai).
However thanks for correcting about the amount.

Opening a bank account seems to be a next step too on name of the Spouse.

On 1/5/2022 at 2:03 PM, Shark said:

can still be that both are non Thai.

Read the opening post by the OP.

On 1/5/2022 at 2:03 PM, Shark said:

Opening a bank account seems to be a next step too on name of the Spouse.

Maybe step 1 apply for a Visa, step 2 apply for TP, step 3 arrive in Thailand first eh!

5 hours ago, Faz said:

Read the opening post by the OP.

You funny right?

I am in need of a step by step instruction on how to have my US marriage certificate registered in Thailand so we can apply for the visa for my husband. We are planning to stay in Thailand for a while to help take care of my parents.  We have been married for a long time but haven't had a chance to do it each time we went home.  We are still in the States so we would like to know what is needed so we can get them all prepare when we go home.

Where does this state that she's a Thai? Many foreigners have seeked Thailand for better then origin and a place to put roots. So this is driven by assumption not by statement that one is stating something explicit.

21 hours ago, Shark said:

You funny right?

Where does this state that she's a Thai? Many foreigners have seeked Thailand for better then origin and a place to put roots. So this is driven by assumption not by statement that one is stating something explicit.

Probably best to contact a Thai attorney if you want your marriage legalized in Thailand. 

8 hours ago, LoongFred said:

Probably best to contact a Thai attorney if you want your marriage legalized in Thailand. 

I don't even think they need to marriage legalized in Thailand to get the initial visa

And just follow what the always informed Faz said to do after 

I'm actually amazed at how little we've had to do officially in regards to our marriage

We got married in Thailand 

Registered it in Thailand, at the local Amphoe

Got the certificate 

Had it translated 

But that's it

She's gotten US Visas, Canadian Visas

And the only time we've ever had to produce our marriage certificate was her coming back to Canada for the 1st time during Covid 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/4/2022 at 11:34 PM, Faz said:

You can use your US marriage certificate to apply for a Visa at a Thai Embassy/Consulate to enter Thailand.
I assume it's your intention to apply for the Non O Visa based on marriage?

Now, depending on your intended length of stay in Thailand and your husband intends to apply for 1 year extensions of stay based on marriage then you will need to register your US marriage at a local Amphoe in Thailand.

Basically you need to get your US marriage certificate 'authenticated', in the US, then 'certified' by the Thai Embassy/Consulate whilst in the US.
On arrival in Thailand have the US Embassy issue a 'certified' copy of your husbands US Passport.
Have the Passport copy and US marriage certificate translated to Thai, then have them 'legalised' by the Consular section of Thailand's Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

You can then take these 'legalised' documents to your local Amphoe to register your foreign marriage.
https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/notaries-public/authentication-procedure/

Hi!

I read all the posts here regarding registering a foreign marriage in Thailand. My wife is Thai and I am an American citizen.  Do you happen to know if it is possible to get all the documents together and have our marriage registered at the local Ampohe in Thailand where my wife's home location is on file from the USA?  I can hire an agent if necessary.  I know most everything in Thailand needs to be face to face, but somethings do follow different rules.  Thanks for the detailed information by the way.

9 hours ago, SkyDogJack said:

Do you happen to know if it is possible to get all the documents together and have our marriage registered at the local Ampohe in Thailand where my wife's home location is on file from the USA? 

No.
You'd have to appear in person at your Embassy and the Amphoe.
An agent could get the translations and documents legalised at the MFA, but I wouldn't go there, to many scams.

On 1/5/2022 at 12:34 PM, Faz said:

14 minutes ago, Faz said:

No.
You'd have to appear in person at your Embassy and the Amphoe.
An agent could get the translations and documents legalised at the MFA, but I wouldn't go there, to many scams.

thanks.  I suspected as much, but a great thing about joining this forum is I get to ask questions and get good answers.  Appreciate it bro.

• Thanks 1