Lights on motorcycles

Philly

Just wondering how these can be on the road with no lights. It seems to be more common in Isaan provinces.

The amount of times I’ve near clipped one on roads with no lighting too is unreal.

Surely there has to be some authority to solve this problem.

Rant over ❤️🙏

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Philly said:

Just wondering how these can be on the road with no lights.

Replacement bulbs cost money.  It's a common problem in Isaan and the south, in fact any rural area. 

Heading west toward Roi Et in pre-dawn darkness one time, I narrowly missed a m/c without lights and almost ran up the back of an unlit pick-up carrying a wooden spirit house ... with a metre of overhang on each side ... 🙄

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Philly said:

A reasonable rant, @Philly, given that you will inevitably see the 'authority' on any day that you're out and about in Thailand - the Royal Thai Police force, of course - and given that you will observe that they're either too lazy or too shy to exert their invested authority.

For example, when helmet-less schoolkids scooter past the police station, three or more abreast, knowing that the friendly plod will simply leave them be . . . okay, that's my rant over, too 😲!

But there's your answer . . . a police authority that demonstrates as much or less authority than the local lottery-ticket seller.

• Like 2

Every day that I drive out at night I see at least one, usually more without lights.  Some have no lights in the back, others no lights front or rear.  As bad as it is when you approach one from the rear, it is not at all unusual to have the bike with no lights driving the wrong way and approaching you head on. 

• Like 1

But is there any truth that rear bulbs on M/Cycles are purposely removed to stop ghosts following you home at night and if so there is some merit in removing them. And just to prove a point I removed my rear light bulbs and when I arrive home of an evening there is not a ghost to be seen only the sound of spirits coming from my back box.

Edited by Marble-eye
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, KaptainRob said:

Replacement bulbs cost money.  It's a common problem in Isaan and the south, in fact any rural area. 

Heading west toward Roi Et in pre-dawn darkness one time, I narrowly missed a m/c without lights and almost ran up the back of an unlit pick-up carrying a wooden spirit house ... with a metre of overhang on each side ... 🙄

In Phuket, that is still a "Sport"! They "kill" the lower beam and drive without.  But keeping, mostly, the high beam to switch it on, in case of cars with  double red lights blinking on the roof. Also even modern (newer) bikes seem to have adjustments, to switch the light on and off, again

Edited by Guest1
  • Like 1

I live in the south end of the island in Phuket and I see loads with no lights especially the sidecars, in parts the lighting is not good I replaced a head lamp bulb on our Fino it was only 80 baht,

I suppose when it's difficult to get them to wear an helmet changing a bulb you've got no chance,

Remember the old slogan in England years ago "See and be Seen" 

• Like 1

Only 'solution' I found was in 2 parts.  Part 1 is to get 'illegal' halogen lights that make it much brighter in front of you at night, plus turn up the lights a little without blinding oncoming cars. That setup has been passed by 'registration inspection' for over 7 years (wife's family uses car).  And drive with high beam on rural roads with no lights - especially through villages - only dip them for oncoming cars.  

Part 2 is to forget about what Thais do that we see as 'wrong' - because otherwise you will become a bitter complaining farang - there is so much that Thais do that we see as 'wrong' . We are 'right' of course - but that is how they think and behave, and there is nothing you can do about it. So relax, let it go, and ignore it - that is the only way to go in Thailand.

image.thumb.png.6e29ecbc507ddd976ee34e753ea752d0.png

On 1/3/2022 at 7:52 PM, Philly said:

Just wondering how these can be on the road with no lights. It seems to be more common in Isaan provinces.

The amount of times I’ve near clipped one on roads with no lighting too is unreal.

Rant over ❤️🙏

its actually much worse in shanghai   never use their lights on their e bikes

• 1 month later...

I'm never more afraid or alert than when driving my car in Isaan country at night. It's incredible just how many vehicles (of all types) that operate at night with no lights. For me, my girlfriend loves after market light bars, etc., so I'll put on more lights (car and bikes) than the average guy.

38 minutes ago, Cabra said:

I'm never more afraid or alert than when driving my car in Isaan country at night. It's incredible just how many vehicles (of all types) that operate at night with no lights. For me, my girlfriend loves after market light bars, etc., so I'll put on more lights (car and bikes) than the average guy.

I found installing aftermarket projector headlamps with HID Xenon bulbs to replace my existing reflector type halogen bulb helps immensely.

• Like 1