HEALTH INSURANCE

WilliamG

I, at 74,  need to take out a health insurance policy to cover all eventualities here. I am sure that many of my learned friends on Thaiger have previously been through this process to find the most economical, best covering and claim friendly companies to deal with. So please, share your findings with me and other members in my situation. Thanks.

Edited by WilliamG
  • Like 1

Mission impossible. You should had joined before the age of 60 to get health insurance.

When you didn't sign up before age 60, you will find it next to impossible.

Premium (very expensive) international expat insurance might accept applicant up to age 65, but you are 74, and maybe have a few pre-existing conditions that will be excluded. If you are lucky to be accepted which I strongly doubt, premium would be 700USD or more. Per month!

Join a expat club, they maybe have a low coverage (3-500,000)THB general group policy that their members can sign up for. That small amount covers next to nothing, except minor accidents or treatment in public hospitals. But it's economical.

'Claim friendly'?? Search reviews of all companies, and none stand out as claim friendly more than others. They are all in the business to make money, not to be claim friendly.

'economical and best covering' ??? A contradiction. Impossible. You get what you pay for but you have to choose either economical, or best coverage. Can't have both. A economical cheap insurance will not cover major medical surgery that often comes after age 60.

Seriously, you are 15 years to late to sign up for a new health insurance now.

I only see 2 alternatives.

1: Your country of origin allow you to continue health insurance even when living abroad, for additional payment. 

2: Self insure and have at least 3 million baht in savings. Major surgery are often more than 3 million baht in a private hospital here.

** Insurance brokers in Thailand are your best  source of information, but again, at age 74 .....

Since I moved here in the 90s, I seen some self insurers who had to sell their house condo, because they didn't have enough savings for a heart surgery.

Thanks. I didn't settle in Thailand until age 65 when I retired. I did have insurance with both BUPA & Cigna, but the latter were buggers for paying up on a very small claim so I refused to renew. Pacific Cross refused ANY coverage relating to prostate even with no symptoms/treatment/meds, nothing. Even Thaiger's refuse me cos I am over 65. even though it says something about enjoying your retirement stress free.

I do not have a UK policy, so as you suggest, the only way is to 'self insure', which means pay up yourself.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/29/2021 at 6:04 PM, WilliamG said:

I, at 74,  need to take out a health insurance policy to cover all eventualities here. I am sure that many of my learned friends on Thaiger have previously been through this process to find the most economical, best covering and claim friendly companies to deal with. So please, share your findings with me and other members in my situation. Thanks.

Do you need to or want to insure? 

I ask because I read that if you can't get insurance for some visa requirements (based on age) you can show that and get an exception in some cases. 

Alternately, if you can work legally in Thailand for 1 year you qualify for universal government coverage which I *think* has no age limit or end date as long as you pay. It's limited to state hospitals but it's something. Might not be a practical option. 

• Like 1