News Forum - No cutoff date for approved Test&Go/Sandbox tourists to enter Thailand | GMT

Thaiger

There is no travel cutoff date for those approved to enter Thailand under the Test & Go or Sandbox entry schemes. Following the cancellation of Thailand’s “Test & Go” tourist scheme amidst fear of an Omicron outbreak, the Europe’s largest travel firm TUI Nordic announced it had cancelled scheduled chartered flights to Phuket from December to April next year. Stories involving ghost murders and places to visit and go for a walk in Bangkok. All these stories coming up on today’s Good morning Thailand with Jay, Natty and Bangkok Pat.

The story No cutoff date for approved Test&Go/Sandbox tourists to enter Thailand | GMT as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

I was fully committed to booking a Qatar airways flight from Chicago to Bangkok for myself and three others for the third  week of January. The way I interpret the new rules I will no longer be able to book these flights until further notice. The reporting of the rules is so confusing that I simply cannot understand them. I have not booked the flights or got the certificate of entry yet but the way I interpret the new rules is that  any new permission to enter Thailand will not be granted at this time. I am fully vaccinated and busted as are my fellow traveling companions

This is so confusing relating to the entry to Thailand from the USA. My understanding is that even though I have two vaccinations and a booster I am not allowed to enter Thailand until further notice. I have not yet applied for the certificate of entry or filed any paperwork but now that effort seems futile for what was to be a planned trip for the third week of January

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

There is no travel cutoff date for those approved to enter Thailand under the Test & Go or Sandbox entry schemes. Following the cancellation of Thailand’s “Test & Go” tourist scheme amidst fear of an Omicron outbreak, the Europe’s largest travel firm TUI Nordic announced it had cancelled scheduled chartered flights to Phuket from December to April next year. Stories involving ghost murders and places to visit and go for a walk in Bangkok. All these stories coming up on today’s Good morning Thailand with Jay, Natty and Bangkok Pat.

The story No cutoff date for approved Test&Go/Sandbox tourists to enter Thailand | GMT as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I would still wait until later in January before committing to any international travel. That is when Thailand said they said they will 'review their TP decision' and so will many other countries.  Their decision could be to open it back up, could be to close it down longer but allow all those already approved, could be to close it down and cancel all approved - or something in between those 3 main options.  Until then it is a very fluid situation. 

In Europe there are already some countries imposing lockdowns due to surging case numbers, but many are waiting (under pressure), until after the New Year to make a decision. I think there will be a major surge in numbers a week or two after New Year (worldwide) and the pressure for lockdowns will increase. The only thing that could change those goal posts (IMO), is if clear accepted clinical research shows Omicron is far less dangerous as previous mutations - and WHO CDC accept that. 

As always said I - Wait.

What is the point of suspending Test and Go if you are still going to allow at least 90K to enter the country at some point under the scheme. 

Personally  I hope the reinstate  it as I've booked a UK trip in April but now worry if I will get back into Thailand should I leave . It's still months away so I hope things settle down again by then . 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gazmo16 said:

What is the point of suspending Test and Go if you are still going to allow at least 90K to enter the country at some point under the scheme. 

Personally  I hope the reinstate  it as I've booked a UK trip in April but now worry if I will get back into Thailand should I leave . It's still months away so I hope things settle down again by then . 

I am in the same situation.

I will cancel (again) if there is anything worse than Test & Go. When I booked in December it was in the expectation that even Test & Go would have been abandoned by June.

1 minute ago, gazmo16 said:

I could not agree more,  why still let TP holders into Thailand if there is a real risk ( good luck to them for getting their TPs, wish I had mine)

I have a flight back home and return to thailand which I have changed 3 times already and will now will change again to comeback via Phuket rather then BKK, hopefull by my return flight date (Feb) the TP will be back on and I wil change my flight for one last time :)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Thommo said:

I could not agree more,  why still let TP holders into Thailand if there is a real risk ( good luck to them for getting their TPs, wish I had mine)

I have a flight back home and return to thailand which I have changed 3 times already and will now will change again to comeback via Phuket rather then BKK, hopefull by my return flight date (Feb) the TP will be back on and I wil change my flight for one last time :)

because if they were to cancel all TP holders prior to Dec 22, it would account to several thousand cancellations with hotels, airlines, etc.  That would cause an even bigger problem on top of another problem on top of another problem and many airlines would most likely not want to resume flights back into Thailand for quite some time.  This would damage the economy, and also those tourists already in Thailand would not be able to get back home (because of limited or cancelled incoming flights).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AussieBob said:

I would still wait until later in January before committing to any international travel. That is when Thailand said they said they will 'review their TP decision' and so will many other countries.  Their decision could be to open it back up, could be to close it down longer but allow all those already approved, could be to close it down and cancel all approved - or something in between those 3 main options.  Until then it is a very fluid situation. 

In Europe there are already some countries imposing lockdowns due to surging case numbers, but many are waiting (under pressure), until after the New Year to make a decision. I think there will be a major surge in numbers a week or two after New Year (worldwide) and the pressure for lockdowns will increase. The only thing that could change those goal posts (IMO), is if clear accepted clinical research shows Omicron is far less dangerous as previous mutations - and WHO CDC accept that. 

As always said I - Wait.

For what it's worth, "IMO" as well, @AussieBob.

Why people want to 'holiday' abroad under present circumstances is just beyond me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, gundam0315 said:

because if they were to cancel all TP holders prior to Dec 22, it would account to several thousand cancellations with hotels, airlines, etc.  That would cause an even bigger problem on top of another problem on top of another problem and many airlines would most likely not want to resume flights back into Thailand for quite some time.  This would damage the economy, and also those tourists already in Thailand would not be able to get back home (because of limited or cancelled incoming flights).

You are right but if the suspension is an attempt to prevent the latest variant then it's pointless and they might as well have continued the scheme anyway if 90k are still on their way . What was the suspension meant to do ? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Stonker said:

For what it's worth, "IMO" as well, @AussieBob.

Why people want to 'holiday' abroad under present circumstances is just beyond me.

After waiting 2 and a half years  some of us have realised this may not end for years so we have to make journeys we've  put off hoping things improved but they haven't  yet. But I see your point if it's just for a beach holiday then maybe that makes much less sense . 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, gundam0315 said:

11 hours ago, AussieBob said:

As always said I - Wait.

Well my wife and I are booked for two weeks time we have our TP for which we had to make a non cancellable SPA+ hotel booking, a non-refundable air ticket and unrefundable Covid insurances. If entry is cancelled we stand to lose a minimum of £4,000 (business class tickets due back issues). Thailand will also lose our hotel accommodation income plus restaurant income of circa THB 100,000 until end March plus medical procedures for us both at THB 350,000 (cataract op). So hope they keep as is! 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Bankerman said:

Well my wife and I are booked for two weeks time we have our TP for which we had to make a non cancellable SPA+ hotel booking, a non-refundable air ticket and unrefundable Covid insurances. If entry is cancelled we stand to lose a minimum of £4,000 (business class tickets due back issues). Thailand will also lose our hotel accommodation income plus restaurant income of circa THB 100,000 until end March plus medical procedures for us both at THB 350,000 (cataract op). So hope they keep as is! 

I hope it all works out for you.  I would be more worried about your flight being cancelled rather than entry.

My daughter and her boyfriend have QR codes.  They were set to return BKK from Paris on Dec. 21, but then the boyfriend got a positive PCR result and they missed their flight. He has subsequently tested PCR negative.  

The Embassy in Paris has told them they cannot currently return to BKK because they are now past the 3 day window on the old Thai Pass.

The way I read the regulations the QR code was determinative...with no cut-off date.    What is Thaiger's read???? Please respond to my email address.

PKE

29 minutes ago, paulkengel said:

What is Thaiger's read???? Please respond to my email address.

You may well receive a response here from our Immigration advisors but we they cannot respond via email, I'm sorry.  A PM is also possible and you might wish to contact @Fazprivately for advice.

Hope it all works out.

56 minutes ago, paulkengel said:

My daughter and her boyfriend have QR codes.  They were set to return BKK from Paris on Dec. 21, but then the boyfriend got a positive PCR result and they missed their flight. He has subsequently tested PCR negative.  

The Embassy in Paris has told them they cannot currently return to BKK because they are now past the 3 day window on the old Thai Pass.

The way I read the regulations the QR code was determinative...with no cut-off date.    What is Thaiger's read???? Please respond to my email address.

PKE

I think it is bad news for your Daughter and her bf, if the TP is not used within the window of the original arrival date then it is no longer valid. Maybe they can change to Phuket and arrive via the sandbox

• Like 2

2 hours ago, paulkengel said:

The QR code was issued based on the documents you uploaded and the relevant dates of flight, hotel booking etc, which unfortunately they need to now change, so a new application for the TP is required.

As they are now beyond the cut off date for applications based on the Test and Go scheme which has been temporarily suspended, they must apply to either enter via Phuket (Sandbox) at an SHA+ hotel for 7 days, or alternatively at an AQ hotel in Bangkok for 10 days.

Those are currently the only 2 options.
1483865332_3entrytypes-Nov1st..thumb.webp.e9f8b37d7b1810362897c2842a243341.webp

My daughter and bf got new Thai pass with QR code immediately  on reapplication.

Does that mean they are still good for Test and Go on return to BKK???

PKe

19 minutes ago, paulkengel said:

My daughter and bf got new Thai pass with QR code immediately  on reapplication.

Does that mean they are still good for Test and Go on return to BKK???

PKe

On reapplication did they submit a 1 day or 7 day booking at a hotel.
If they submitted a 1 day booking and the TP was approved then they can enter under the Test and Go.

It was only applications under the test and go that were suspended from Dec 22nd.

• Like 1

What a mess.

Ninety thousand people can just come under test and go. Anyone else can still come and sandbox in Phuket. Omicron is now here, and if you test positive or are a close contract at any time in your stay or trying to leave, off to a mandatory hospital or quarantine for you.

You would have to be very, very motivated.

A Swedish friend posted an experience on Facebook only yesterday about a horrific experience. Tested negative on a test and go, but then had to take a rapid test locally, returning positive. Zero symptoms. Since he's rural, has been carted off to a "community care" centre. Think third world barb wire prison camp, and you have the picture.

Fortunately, after a couple of nights of hell, managed to beg for a transfer to a private hospital room with the price tag to match.

You would be nuts to risk this. I think that it's becoming quite irresponsible for Thaiger News and other outlets to keep beating the "Thailand is open" drum without highlighting the reality of what your holiday can become.

Omicron may be mild, but what happens to you here if you test positive is the same as alpha, delta or ebola.