News Forum - Tuesday Covid Update: 2,476 new cases; provincial totals

Thaiger

32 coronavirus-related deaths were reported by the CCSA today, raising the pandemic’s death toll in Thailand to 21,440 with 21,346 of those fatalities during the latest wave, which was first recorded on April 1. In the 24-hour period since the last count, the CCSA recorded 2,476 new Covid-19 cases and 3,649 recoveries. There are now 38,892 people in Thailand being treated for Covid-19. Out of the new cases recorded today, 47 were found in correctional facilities. More than 80,000 inmates at Thailand’s overcrowded prisons and detention centres have tested positive for Covid-19 over the past several months. Since the start […]

The story Tuesday Covid Update: 2,476 new cases; provincial totals as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

who cares how many cases there are. It's inaccurate of the real number and the fact is millions of people get sick everyday from diseases; it's a part of life.
Most of them recover anyway so the only number that's important is deaths but I suppose that number isn't big and scary, so they keep reporting "cases" to sell vaccines.

4 hours ago, Nivram said:

You cannot verify the validity of new cases if people don't want to get tested and are asystematic.

Doesn't that apply in any / every country, not just Thailand?

4 hours ago, Poolie said:

So the whole of Thailand should queue for testing?

We in the UK are Boosting over 500.000 Daily in the UK. So far we have had over 23 Million Boosted, so to your answer yes if the Thai Government opened major stadiums, shopping Centers, MILLIONS could be innoculated within 1 Month with the full population 2 dose in 2-3 Monthe's.

20 minutes ago, Robert2020 said:

who cares how many cases there are. It's inaccurate of the real number and the fact is millions of people get sick everyday from diseases; it's a part of life.
Most of them recover anyway so the only number that's important is deaths but I suppose that number isn't big and scary, so they keep reporting "cases" to sell vaccines.

But the Thai government, who are "reporting "cases" ", isn't selling vaccines - they're giving them away free.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vlad said:

We in the UK are Boosting over 500.000 Daily in the UK. So far we have had over 23 Million Boosted, so to your answer yes if the Thai Government opened major stadiums, shopping Centers, MILLIONS could be innoculated within 1 Month with the full population 2 dose in 2-3 Monthe's.

Sorry, but 'no' they couldn't.

Thailand doesn't have the vaccines so that's not possible, and even if they did only those who've had their second dose at least three months ago could have their third.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/21/2021 at 11:04 AM, Stonker said:

But the Thai government, who are "reporting "cases" ", isn't selling vaccines - they're giving them away free.

you're right. Two separate organisations that have nothing to do with each other.
As everyone knows, law makers only want to to do their job and live on the salary they get from tax payers until the day they retire.

14 minutes ago, Robert2020 said:

you're right. Two separate organisations that have nothing to do with each other.
As everyone knows, law makers only want to to do their job and live on the salary they get from tax payers until the day they retire.

Well, your comment and mine certainly have "nothing to do with each other".

On 12/21/2021 at 11:01 PM, Stonker said:

Doesn't that apply in any / every country, not just Thailand?

Yes it does.

However, the consequences of PCR testing in Thailand are such that people are confined to a hospital against their will, even if asymptomatic, if they get a positive result. 

This has the net effect of causing people to avoid taking a PCR and thus skews the official statistics massively. 

In the last week, I know at least 20 people personally who have tested positive on an ATK in Bangkok. Not a single one of them has chosen to take a confirmatory PCR, instead just isolating at home. These people are not counted in the official statistics. This is being repeated over and over again, all over the country.

The official numbers are a gross underestimate, by at least an order of magnitude.

Js89 I agree.

I have one friend who tested positive after 2 shots plus a booster and went to Bangkok hospital in Phuket.

He showed mild symtoms.  It cost him 125,000 baht for 10 days and the hospital did nothing for him.

Another friend tested positive and self quarantined at home and he did not report his status to the health authorities so he is not in the official statistics like so many other people are.

On 12/22/2021 at 3:03 AM, MikeW said:

Most of the eastern provinces were left out again I guess we don't have any new cases 

Plenty in our area, schools closed because of children with Covid, maybe too busy to count or too many to count.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, js89 said:

However, the consequences of PCR testing in Thailand are such that people are confined to a hospital against their will, even if asymptomatic, if they get a positive result. 

That's simply totally untrue, and comments like this are the reason for the problem you describe.

If you test positive (PCR test) you may be quarantined in a hospital, you may be allowed to quarantine in a hotel or hospitel, or increasingly you may be allowed to quarantine at home.

Scaremongering like yours, which is completely untrue, is what's perpetuating the problem.

5 hours ago, Nivram said:

Js89 I agree.

I have one friend who tested positive after 2 shots plus a booster and went to Bangkok hospital in Phuket.

He showed mild symtoms.  It cost him 125,000 baht for 10 days and the hospital did nothing for him.

Another friend tested positive and self quarantined at home and he did not report his status to the health authorities so he is not in the official statistics like so many other people are.

But he didn't have to!

Had he done what he was supposed to do, and reported to the local health authority or the local government hospital, he may well have been allowed to quarantine at home for free or in a state hospital 'VIP' room, which would have cost him the princely sum of 7,500 baht for ten days instead of 125,000.

22 minutes ago, Stonker said:

That's simply totally untrue, and comments like this are the reason for the problem you describe.

If you test positive (PCR test) you may be quarantined in a hospital, you may be allowed to quarantine in a hotel or hospitel, or increasingly you may be allowed to quarantine at home.

Scaremongering like yours, which is completely untrue, is what's perpetuating the problem.

Completely untrue? On what do you base this assertion? 

I know several people who have been quarantined in a hospital after going to get a PCR test and registering positive. Both Thai nationals and foreigners.

These are not anecdotal "someone told me this happened to someone else". These are people I know personally and who are in said hospitals at this very moment.

3 hours ago, js89 said:

Completely untrue? On what do you base this assertion?

Public statements and announcements by the Public Health Authorities and the National Health Security Office which have been widely reported and make the position very clear beyond any possible doubt.

Explained in detail and at some length, based on statements from the NHSO (National Health Security Office) in the Thaiger recently: https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/what-to-do-if-you-test-positive-for-covid-19-in-thailand

"Under Thailand’s emergency orders, those who test positive for Covid-19 are required to contact the public health officials. Those who do not report positive results can face a fine of up to 20,000 baht.

• Contact National Health Security Office at 1330 by phone or their Line official account.
  • Patients under the Social Security System contact a hotline 1506, press 6.
  • For urgent or severe cases, contact the hotline 1668 or Line @1668.reg to reserve a hospital bed.

Enquire about home isolation

Those infected with Covid-19 who refuse to quarantine or get treatment can face a penalty of up to 2 years in jail and an up to 40,000 baht fine. Patients with severe symptoms will be sent to a hospital while others can be sent to a field hospital or community isolation centre where the stay and expenses for basic treatment is covered by the government.

But for expats and travellers, the thought of being sent off to a field hospital or isolation centre in a foreign country can be daunting, but those who are asymptomatic, or who have mild symptoms, can be approved for home isolation.

To qualify for home isolation, patient must be younger than 65 years old with no health conditions that put them at risk of a severe infection. They must also be asymptomatic, or only have mild symptoms, and have living space where they can isolate from others. Those travelling in Thailand may be subject to quarantine at an approved hotel at their expense.

For enquiries on home isolation, call the Department of Disease Control hotline at 1422."

That couldn't be clearer and more definitive, and it confirmed a number of similar earlier statements and reports, including here: https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/tac-explains-what-happens-if-a-tourist-or-child-gets-covid-19

"But should you test positive for Covid-19, your condition will be analysed and action will be taken based on the severity. Those who experience intense symptoms from their infection will be immediately taken to the hospital that is contracted to provide medical support to whatever SHA+ hotel the traveller is booked in. Any traveller who wants to know in advance what hotel that would be can inquire with the hotel that they have a booking with.

If the symptoms are milder or the traveller is asymptomatic, they may still be asked to stay in the hospital or might be allowed to remain in self-isolation in the SHA+ hotel they had booked. There may also be the option of moving to an Alternative Quarantine venue during their infection."

3 hours ago, js89 said:

I know several people who have been quarantined in a hospital after going to get a PCR test and registering positive. Both Thai nationals and foreigners.

These are not anecdotal "someone told me this happened to someone else". These are people I know personally and who are in said hospitals at this very moment.

You may well do, but your claim that "However, the consequences of PCR testing in Thailand are such that people are confined to a hospital against their will, even if asymptomatic, if they get a positive result" is completely untrue and dangerously misleading.

These numbers do seem like self-fulfilling prophecies that support the latest announcements of the CCSA. The real winners though are the test kit makers and the pharmacies that sell them. But just how accurate are these test 🤔

Edited by Cabra

4 hours ago, Stonker said:

You may well do, but your claim that "However, the consequences of PCR testing in Thailand are such that people are confined to a hospital against their will, even if asymptomatic, if they get a positive result" is completely untrue and dangerously misleading.

Oh please...get off your podium. It's a simple statement of what is really happening on the ground. Asymptomatic tourists are being sent to hospital daily as the hospitals race to get the insurance money. The official policy and the practise are two different things.

15 minutes ago, js89 said:

Oh please...get off your podium. It's a simple statement of what is really happening on the ground. Asymptomatic tourists are being sent to hospital daily as the hospitals race to get the insurance money. The official policy and the practise are two different things.

No, it's not "a simple statement of what is really happening on the ground."

It's totally untrue and absolute, unadulterated rubbish from start to finish as I've just shown beyond any doubt by the reports and quotes.

9 minutes ago, Stonker said:

No, it's not "a simple statement of what is really happening on the ground."

It's totally untrue and absolute, unadulterated rubbish from start to finish as I've just shown beyond any doubt by the reports and quotes.

If you want to think that nobody who is asymptomatic is being sent to hospital, then you're incredibly naïve. Your "reports and quotes" are just that: reports and quotes.

I have first-hand knowledge that says you're wrong. Are you always so vehemently obnoxious?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, js89 said:

If you want to think that nobody who is asymptomatic is being sent to hospital, then you're incredibly naïve.

I neither think that, nor have I ever said that or anything like it.

Your "reports and quotes" are just that: reports and quotes.

Well, they're reports and quotes from the PHA and the NHSO.

I think they're probably in a reasonable position to know a little bit about their own rules.

Just a thought 😂.

I have first-hand knowledge that says you're wrong.

No, you've evidently mis-read what I wrote (see above) so whatever first hand knowledge you may have doesn't say anything about what I've said.

What you're claiming, literally, is that private hospitals are breaking the law and kidnapping people, Thais and tourists, to extort money from them and their insurers - and that the insurers are paying up.

That's what you're claiming.

Seriously?

Perleeze ... 😂 

Are you always so vehemently obnoxious?

Only when fully justified.