Clarification about Non-O status

Consider this scenario. I have Non-O permission to stay and did not get a re-entry permit when leaving the country. I then enter Thailand Visa Exempt. If the original permission to stay has not expired yet, do I keep my Non-O status or do I have to get a new Non-O visa and permission to stay?

If I did get a re-entry permit, does that mean I need insurance that covers the whole of the permission to stay?

• Like 1

No the moment you leave without re-entry it's the end of your Non-O. You need a re-entry to be able to use it.

Currently anybody needs insurance to apply for ThailandPass nothing changes here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, M.O. said:

Consider this scenario. I have Non-O permission to stay and did not get a re-entry permit when leaving the country. I then enter Thailand Visa Exempt. If the original permission to stay has not expired yet, do I keep my Non-O status or do I have to get a new Non-O visa and permission to stay?

Original Non O > 1 year extension > your permission of stay ends the moment you exit the Country without a re-entry permit. Enter VE (Tourist status), need to apply for status change to Non Immigrant (Non O) at Immigration before you can apply to extend your stay for 1 year again.

11 minutes ago, M.O. said:

If I did get a re-entry permit, does that mean I need insurance that covers the whole of the permission to stay?

Yes.
Must cover from the date of re-entry to the current permission of stay date stamped on the extension.

• Like 1

If my Non-O permission to stay will be valid for, say, another 10 months, will the insurance need to cover that 10 months rather than the 30 days for VE entry?

Edit: Question answered by Faz !

Edited by M.O.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Shark said:

Currently anybody needs insurance to apply for ThailandPass nothing changes here.

Other than the period the Health Insurance must cover on entry, which is determined by the method of entry. E.G. Entering VE, or on an existing extension with re-entry permit.

I think that is what the OP is trying to establish and confirm.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, M.O. said:

If my Non-O permission to stay will be valid for, say, another 10 months, will the insurance need to cover that 10 months rather than the 30 days for VE entry?

Yes.

It must cover the whole period of stay you'll be granted on entry.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, M.O. said:

I only purchased 30 days of coverage for my non O when I returned from 5 months visit in November

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, nobusinessofurs said:

I only purchased 30 days of coverage for my non O when I returned from 5 months visit in November

You entered with a new Non O Visa you obtain from a Thai Embassy in the US?
Granted a 90 day stay on entry?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, M.O. said:

Will there be a big difference in the insurance cost?

Obviously, 1 month v 10 month.

Many Insurers only offer policies for set periods, 30, 60, 90, 180 or 365 days.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Faz said:

@M.O.
Do you currently have an extension of stay based on retirement or Thai spouse?
Do you use the 400/800K funds in the bank method, or the 40/65K monthly income method?

I came in VE and I'm considering changing to Non O. Doing it as a step towards PR status. Seems to be more con's than pro's. What with need for visa conversion,  re entry permits, extra insurance costs, etc. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, M.O. said:

I came in VE and I'm considering changing to Non O. Doing it as a step towards PR status. Seems to be more con's than pro's. What with need for visa conversion,  re entry permits, extra insurance costs, etc. 

When did you enter VE?
Are you still on the 30 day permission of stay or have you already extended your stay?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Faz said:

When did you enter VE?
Are you still on the 30 day permission of stay or have you already extended your stay?

30 days permit till 10th Jan. Will apply for Non O before Xmas (_IF_ I decide to proceed with it).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, M.O. said:

30 days permit till 10th Jan. Will apply for Non O before Xmas (_IF_ I decide to proceed with it).

Your aware you must have at least 15 days permission of stay remaining (23 days at certain IO's) to submit an application for the Non O.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Faz said:

Your aware you must have at least 15 days permission of stay remaining (23 days at certain IO's) to submit an application for the Non O.

Yes.  Thanks for reminder. 

• Like 1