Jump to content

Snow


BigHewer
 Share

Recommended Posts

Not really related to Thailand, but this is the best place for it. Any members out there with a lot of experience living with snow? I hate it, absolutely hate it, and I don’t like to use that word.

The first snows of winter have fallen where I am on the Sea of Japan coast and a foot or so of it was dumped here overnight. I find that my mood has taken a downturn as it usually does; motivation for many things too.

My question to the members from colder climes: how do you manage? How do you peacefully coexist with the white menace?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

My question to the members from colder climes: how do you manage? How do you peacefully coexist with the white menace?

You move to Thailand 😉  Getting cold here tonight, down to 23c already and I've got a shirt on!

Seriously though, older you get the less tolerant of extreme cold and the drudgery of working and living with snow, ice and wet.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

My question to the members from colder climes: how do you manage? How do you peacefully coexist with the white menace?

A few ideas...

Skiing (alpine or XC)

Snowshoeing

Ice fishing

Snowmobiling

Dog mushing

Ice skating

Ice sailing

Snowball fights

or as a last resort....

 

 

 

 

 

Death-Jack-Torrance-Shining.webp

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, El_Trauco said:

A few ideas...

Skiing (alpine or XC)

Snowshoeing

Ice fishing

Snowmobiling

Dog mushing

Ice skating

Ice sailing

Snowball fights

or as a last resort....

Death-Jack-Torrance-Shining.webp

That photo was me this morning when I went to work at 8am.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We don't get much snow here on the west coast of North America but when we do I revel in it. Go out and watch the locals try and drive. Run, jump, and play with the dog. Make snow angels. Remember: "There is no such thing as bad weather, only unsuitable clothing." Alfred Wainwright

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, JamesE said:

We don't get much snow here on the west coast of North America but when we do I revel in it. Go out and watch the locals try and drive. Run, jump, and play with the dog. Make snow angels. Remember: "There is no such thing as bad weather, only unsuitable clothing." Alfred Wainwright

It’s a beautiful quote by Alfred Wainwright. I’m glad he never made it here, or it wouldn’t have come up with it 😂

Absolutely lashing it down now as I type.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.currentresults.com/Weather/Canada/Cities/snowfall-annual-average.php
 

Interesting annual snowfall stats for the largest cities in Canada. I was taking some solace in the fact that at least it’s not as bad here as it is there. But I was wrong 🙄🥶

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1248254/japan-annual-snowfall-toyama/

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's also a condition related to winter and less sun for which depression is more likely to set in. Everyong knows less sun = less vitamin D. Funny how it seemed right on the money as an effect of sun used to be called SAD. Seasonal Affective Disorder. Probably changed because using the word sad is subliminal triggering in some folk. Also from this I think it has something to do with sorotonin levels going down which truly becomes a mental and body thing. Take more baths, have more sex, use different brighter lighting in your abode, but do you think it is the biting wind in Japan rather than the snow? The wind is what gets me, not the snow, but honestly I have never been a cold winter guy even with rain or wind.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

It's also a condition related to winter and less sun for which depression is more likely to set in. Everyong knows less sun = less vitamin D. Funny how it seemed right on the money as an effect of sun used to be called SAD. Seasonal Affective Disorder. Probably changed because using the word sad is subliminal triggering in some folk. Also from this I think it has something to do with sorotonin levels going down which truly becomes a mental and body thing. Take more baths, have more sex, use different brighter lighting in your abode, but do you think it is the biting wind in Japan rather than the snow? The wind is what gets me, not the snow, but honestly I have never been a cold winter guy even with rain or wind.

Surprisingly cold showers and cold baths will improve your mood.  It increases serotonin.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, billywillyjones said:

Surprisingly cold showers and cold baths will improve your mood.  It increases serotonin.

Yeah that is shock treatment. In California we used to go up to Lake Tahoe during winter, take hot saunas and then jump inot the freezing cold lake, but we would have a nice alcohol to drink in between. Makes your tool and gonads laughable looking. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HolyCowCm said:

but do you think it is the biting wind in Japan rather than the snow? The wind is what gets me, not the snow, but honestly I have never been a cold winter guy even with rain or wind.

The west coast (Sea of Japan) is a lot calmer but gets loads more snow. I actually find the Pacific Coast colder because of the wind in winter. As you say, the wind makes it colder.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

The west coast (Sea of Japan) is a lot calmer but gets loads more snow. I actually find the Pacific Coast colder because of the wind in winter. As you say, the wind makes it colder.

Any where near the snow monkeys? I would like to see them just to say I have.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Any where near the snow monkeys? I would like to see them just to say I have.

We get snow monkeys, but I'm guessing not THE snow monkeys (i.e. the serene, majestic macaques that hang out in natural hot springs and appear in National Geographic and in nature documentaries). We get the ones that raid your trash and make a mess.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Join Thaiger Talk Today!

    Sign up in 30 seconds and join the discussion on everything Thailand!

  • Latest Posts

    1. 4

      News Forum - Thailand’s Tourism Authority reminds visitors of current anti-smoking laws

    2. 25

      News Forum - Thai police admit extorting money from Taiwanese actress

    3. 0

      News Forum - Haze Pollution Forces School Closures in Bangkok

    4. 25

      News Forum - Thai police admit extorting money from Taiwanese actress

  • New Topics

  • Tell a friend

    Love Thaiger Talk? Tell a friend!
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By posting on Thaiger Talk you agree to the Terms of Use