News Forum - First victim of illegal sidewalk parking crackdown: Chiang Mai police

Thaiger

After slacking on enforcement while attention has been focused on Covid-19, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration has told officers to take action on illegal driving and parking on sidewalks. They are partnering with the Royal Thai Police who are encouraging a nationwide crackdown on illegal sidewalk parking. But one of the first victims busted for it ended up being the police themselves. The BMA instructed City Law Enforcement officers to be more vigilant in enforcing the law to protect residents as well as public and private property by keeping vehicles, moving or parked, off the sidewalks. Bangkok’s Deputy Governor says that […]

The story First victim of illegal sidewalk parking crackdown: Chiang Mai police as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

That is not outside the CM convention center. One street over going up to or down from the University to Nihmmanhemin rd which is that street in front to turn left of right on.

1 hour ago, HolyCowCm said:

That is not outside the CM convention center. One street over going up to or down from the University to Nihmmanhemin rd which is that street in front to turn left of right on.

Google re-write strikes again.

The original in The Nation says "near", not outside.

The dangers of un-checked auto re-writes ...

35 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Google re-write strikes again.

The original in The Nation says "near", not outside.

The dangers of un-checked auto re-writes ...

Now that would make more sense rather than what was written. Didn't fool me one little bit for where it is at.

Today in Patong large pick up pulled right up in front of me & another pedestrian coming towards me , right up and on to the narrow sidewalk, over the red& white kerb markings. Just enough room for pedestrians to squeze by single fil in front of shops. Within sight of ( empty) Police Box at major junction. Typical. Imagine that back home.  Vehicle would be pounded , paint- covered and police called by angry pedestrains & shop owners….. licence added penalty points, council fine ; would not happen as not worth all that trouble.

I walked from The Siam Paragon back to my home yesterday in Sukhumvit 107, a distance of around 18 km.

During that time I forgot the number of times motorcycle taxi drivers had used the pavements (sidewalks). I guarantee imminently there will be another incident and someone (hopefully not me) will be injured by these offending vehicles. Then someone in (very) high authority will say something public to the media followed by a photograph of him and his sidekicks all looking very studious as they make artificial statements about how these incidents are ruining the reputation of Thailand overseas.

Then, four or five days later, absolutely nothing will happen and things will just continue ad infinitum. 

At least when offending vehicles are parked on the pavements they slow down the dangerous sidewalk motorcyclists!

• Like 1