Teaching English in Thailand

Freeduhdumb

Asking for my Thai wife. I am an American, we have been married four years now. I would not say she speaks fluent English, but she is pretty close. She was about 90% fluent before we ever met. She is starting an informal English school for children in her home village. She has a Bangkok based University Bachelor's degree and taught grade school children for three years after obtaining her degree... after we got married she stopped teaching full time as the school was too far away, so she came home full time. My question is, if this school develops further and we make it formal ( I'm not sure what that entails) can anyone here make any recommendations on her future credential development, needed or otherwise, and/or eventual formal school development? Should she eventually seek a TEFL course? Any other course? Should she eventually make the school legitimate in regards to creating a business entity within Thailand and/or any required government licensing? Thank you for any suggestions. 

Are you confusing getting school accreditation with her personal qualifications? She has a bachelors degree why would she need a TEFL? Or are you talking about teaching TEFL? Your post is not clear.

1 hour ago, TukTuk said:

Are you confusing getting school accreditation with her personal qualifications? She has a bachelors degree why would she need a TEFL? Or are you talking about teaching TEFL? Your post is not clear.

Sounds to me she has a bachelor's degree in Education 

But I guess he is asking if she needs any sort of accreditation or certificates to officially start an English school 

On 12/12/2021 at 6:08 PM, Marc26 said:

Sounds to me she has a bachelor's degree in Education 

But I guess he is asking if she needs any sort of accreditation or certificates to officially start an English school 

No she won't be teaching TEFL. I just thought maybe she might need that for her own personal certifications. She has a Bachelor of Science. And yes, does she, or should she receive any other additional certifications/accreditation etc. for her English teaching school? 

On 12/12/2021 at 4:47 PM, TukTuk said:

No not teaching TEFL. Only starting a school to teach English to children. Now that she has started, it seems adults are now also interested. She's considering now adding classes for adults. 

Well presumably more formal would involve an actual business that pays tax etc. I'd be looking into that, otherwise you're leaving yourself open to the other crabs in the bucket