Another Legend Passes- Al Unser Sr.

El_Trauco

And Michael Nesmith of the Monkees group also passed yesterday.  Grew up watching the Monkees on TV.  My dad (RIP) warned me of these days when all your heros would begin to pass, he said it was the first real thing to hit him that he was on the short end of his days on this earth.

7 minutes ago, DrPhibes said:

he said it was the first real thing to hit him that he was on the short end of his days on this earth.

He was dead right. I am now seeing celebs  of around my age and younger started to disappear of natural old age conditions and its very sobering indeed. 

• Like 1

I tend to disagree on "legend" moniker.  Pushing an accelerator and shifting a car going around on a track is the last thing this world needs to be praising.  The burning of fossil fuel and adding to climate change as a sport should have been outlawed in the 70's

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ExpatPattaya said:

I tend to disagree on "legend" moniker.  Pushing an accelerator and shifting a car going around on a track is the last thing this world needs to be praising.  The burning of fossil fuel and adding to climate change as a sport should have been outlawed in the 70's

Correct, legend, icon and genius are banded about far too often when somebody passes on, sometimes for people few have even heard of!

Edited by Sarisin

17 minutes ago, Transam said:

For some who liked his sport, he was a legend, who are you to say he wasn't..?

Calling people like him a legend just debases the meaning of the word, famous within a very small circle of fans would fit better.

12 minutes ago, Sarisin said:

Calling people like him a legend just debases the meaning of the word, famous within a very small circle of fans would fit better.

Formula One (F1) racing global TV audience 2020

This statistic illustrates the number of Formula One (F1) racing TV viewers worldwide from 2008 to 2020. According to the source, the global audience for Formula One in 2020 stood at 433 million viewers, a slight decrease from the previous year's figure.

statista.com

And this is just F1, add in Nascar, Indy car, rallying, karting, drifting etc and the number is hardly a 'small circle of fans'. Racing drivers are more legends than footballers, even though football has the largest following.

• Like 2